Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,215 Posts
Looks like I might spring for new shocks/Struts? all the way around on my 08 SE Pilot. Looks like I'll jump straight to the Bilsteins? But if you can't get them easily? Luckily, don't need them yet and the 08's on 185K on the originals.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The struts are available in stock right now, shocks should be soon as J am sure they didnt just make the 2 I ordered so RA and others should show in stock soon. Just grab them of they do as I waited a couple weeks to long and they got back ordered. Covid then stretched that another month

·
Registered
391 Posts
So now I am needing to do a Paypal dispute because Tdotperformance.ca has stopped answering my requests for a refund. I won't ever be buying from them again. 0 Stars rating for customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So now I am needing to do a Paypal dispute because Tdotperformance.ca has stopped answering my requests for a refund. I won't ever be buying from them again. 0 Stars rating for customer service.
Wish I read this before ordering mine from TDot... I was opting for shipment from US or local and now I will definitely hold on ordering front struts through the same shop until figuring out how this will go.
"ITEM(S)
Bilstein 24-268929 - B6 Series Rear Driver Or Passenger Side Shock Absorber
Bilstein - Bilstein 24-268929 - B6 Series Rear Driver Or Passenger Side Shock Absorber
UPDATED SHIPPING TIME
40-45 Business Days"

·
Registered
391 Posts
I won the dispute and they sent a refund. I went local and should have KYB shocks here today at Carquest for about $5 ea more than Rockauto would have cost and 5 days sooner. That being said RA would be a lot cheaper if I was also getting the struts etc. but Mine are still good and I am thinking I'll do the B6 all around in a couple of years when they are needed

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you didn't already, don't buy the KYBs (just my $.02). RA has the B6s in stock now, I have them in transit to me as we speak. They KYBs will feel weak and floppy within 20k miles. I put them on at ~98k and was unhappy soon there after (at 155k now). I put the rear B6's on about 3k miles ago (the rear KYBs felt much worse than the fronts did) and it made the vehicle feel significantly better. I liked them so much i ordered the front B6s. If you are only keeping the car for a little while longer, the KYBs will be fine, but if its long term, I would absolutely do the B6s.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm just gonna install the KYB to get through the winter and hopefully Covid fucks off with the Vaccines and shit will be available and I can do the B6 all around the four corners in another 40-50k Miles. I only need one shock as only one is leaking but I can't just replace one so 2 it will be for now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I started this thread last year when I just replaced the rear shocks. I finally got around to replacing the front struts with the B6 and installed new KYB mounts. What an incredible improvement in the ride and handling of my Pilot now. I also put four new discs and ceramic pads (Bosch Quietcast) and bled the brakes flushing about a quart of fluid and completely removing all of the 10 year old brake fluid. I'm so happy with the way this thing rides now, it's better than when it was new! The Bilsteins made a huge improvement in the ride and handling.

One little quirk I noticed is that the original dust boots are integrated into the upper rubber spring seat - it's all one piece unlike other designs that use a separate spring seat and dust boot. I simply cut the boot material leaving just the spring seat intact and installed an aftermarket dust boot. However I am having a slight issue with the springs binding after the car is parked. When I first turn the wheel I can hear a pop, and visually confirmed that the spring is twisting but the mount doesn't move right away and then it eventually moves and pops back into alignment. I'm going to remove the struts and replace the dust boot and rubber spring seat with the OEM Honda part - they're only $15 each. I might also try a different strut mount since I'm not sure why this KYB mount isn't turning and is allowing the spring to bind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had KYBs all around, only lasted about 30k miles and they started to go bad (I also have another set installed on a nissan maxima which have gone bad during the same timeframe. Will be avoiding KYB from now on). FYI, I've also tried Sensen struts=Garbage. They look nice, but handles like bad struts...lots of body roll. Decided to try Bilstein B6 for the rear shocks, Sorry but bad news.....not even 2 months the Bilsteins are done. They started to make clunking noise and started to leak. They do have warranty on them but now a waiting period for Rockauto to process claim. I will give Bilstein (Warranty replacement) another shot, but will likely go with Monroe next if these do not work out. You live and you learn.....even the top brands can be hit or miss. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I started this thread last year when I just replaced the rear shocks. I finally got around to replacing the front struts with the B6 and installed new KYB mounts. What an incredible improvement in the ride and handling of my Pilot now. I also put four new discs and ceramic pads (Bosch Quietcast) and bled the brakes flushing about a quart of fluid and completely removing all of the 10 year old brake fluid. I'm so happy with the way this thing rides now, it's better than when it was new! The Bilsteins made a huge improvement in the ride and handling.

One little quirk I noticed is that the original dust boots are integrated into the upper rubber spring seat - it's all one piece unlike other designs that use a separate spring seat and dust boot. I simply cut the boot material leaving just the spring seat intact and installed an aftermarket dust boot. However I am having a slight issue with the springs binding after the car is parked. When I first turn the wheel I can hear a pop, and visually confirmed that the spring is twisting but the mount doesn't move right away and then it eventually moves and pops back into alignment. I'm going to remove the struts and replace the dust boot and rubber spring seat with the OEM Honda part - they're only $15 each. I might also try a different strut mount since I'm not sure why this KYB mount isn't turning and is allowing the spring to bind.
I also had the same problem with KYB strut mounts (popping and binding sound)....I would go with OEM Honda as well.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
45 Posts
Are there any other solid shocks/struts for Pilots besides the Bilstein B6?
I may end up replacing mine with the B6, although the price has gone up to around $111.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My rear shocks have been leaking for quite some time, but just recently I noticed that my Pilot wasn't handling well. Whenever I would go over railroad tracks or other odd dips or bumps, the car would have a strange floating feeling with a squishy/loose feeling in the rear so I figured it was time to replace them.

I was considering the KYB shocks for around $50 each, however I noticed that Bilstein made a B6 shock for the Pilot for around $80 but they were backordered at the time. So a few months ago I placed the order, and once they were in stock they shipped. I just finished installing them about two weeks ago and so far I'm very impressed. The ride and handling is almost back to what it was like when new, however I'm certainly feeling the weakness of the front struts now (100K miles on them) so they're getting replaced next. The B6 are a monotube design, allegedly better than the twin tube design of the B4 or the KYB Excel-G. Time will tell how these hold up, but so far I'm very happy with the improvement.

View attachment 132705

I did read a few horror stories regarding the lower bolt seizing up when trying to remove the original shocks. I started on the passenger side and it came off without issue. Despite my Pilot never seeing snow/salt and very rarely even being driven in the rain, the lower bolt on the drivers side was a bit difficult to remove. It wasn't seized to the point where I had to cut the welded nut to remove it, but it required more effort than the passenger side. It looked like some galvanic corrosion with a white crust on the bolt and threads. I zipped it on a wire wheel to clean it up and added some anti-sieze before reinstalling it.
Did you use the OEM springs or upgrade those as well? Did this change ride height at all? I found a website selling B5100s they said would fit my 2015 Pilot. I'm a little skeptical of that. It's quite a bit different under my new pilot compared to my old 2002 4runner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I installed the front B6 yesterday with new Moog top mounts. What a night and day difference from my previous setup (KYBs with ~58K on them, stock top mounts with 160k on them). The whole front end feels so much better. Also, while the struts were out I replaced the front sway bar bushings as the stock 160k units had worn a bit.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts