Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear shocks have been leaking for quite some time, but just recently I noticed that my Pilot wasn't handling well. Whenever I would go over railroad tracks or other odd dips or bumps, the car would have a strange floating feeling with a squishy/loose feeling in the rear so I figured it was time to replace them.

I was considering the KYB shocks for around $50 each, however I noticed that Bilstein made a B6 shock for the Pilot for around $80 but they were backordered at the time. So a few months ago I placed the order, and once they were in stock they shipped. I just finished installing them about two weeks ago and so far I'm very impressed. The ride and handling is almost back to what it was like when new, however I'm certainly feeling the weakness of the front struts now (100K miles on them) so they're getting replaced next. The B6 are a monotube design, allegedly better than the twin tube design of the B4 or the KYB Excel-G. Time will tell how these hold up, but so far I'm very happy with the improvement.

I did read a few horror stories regarding the lower bolt seizing up when trying to remove the original shocks. I started on the passenger side and it came off without issue. Despite my Pilot never seeing snow/salt and very rarely even being driven in the rain, the lower bolt on the drivers side was a bit difficult to remove. It wasn't seized to the point where I had to cut the welded nut to remove it, but it required more effort than the passenger side. It looked like some galvanic corrosion with a white crust on the bolt and threads. I zipped it on a wire wheel to clean it up and added some anti-sieze before reinstalling it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am considering installing the B6 Bilsteins on my 2011 Pilot. Thanks for the initial report. Keep us posted as you put more miles on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts