Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about options for bike racks. I'm looking at getting the Thule 754 Rapid Railing Carrier system for my Pilot, with a Mountaineer roof box.

I'm guessing that this might leave room for two bike carriers on the roof in addition to the box, but we are family of five and this won't suffice.

There are bike racks with a 5-bike capacity which slot into a trailer hitch, but my dealer just quoted a round grand to have one installed, insisting that the transmission and power steering coolers were a non-optional part of the installation. :eek:

Are there hitch mounts which cost significantly less that won't void my warranty?

Or are there decent rear-mounted bike racks which will take four or five bikes that don't require a hitch mount?

Or do we just rent bikes when we get there? :)

Thanks,

Rob W.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The factory hitch is an easy install.
I am sure there are other hitched that are just as easy.
Honda shows the factory hitch without the coolers.
They are needed for towing, but since the hitch can be used for other than towing you should be able to get it put on by itself.
Or buy it on-line and insatll it yourself.
As for the warenty, first you would have to be un lucky enough to have a trans problem. Then Honda would have to prove it was due to towing.
Maybe the solution is the hitch without the wiring. (no wiring, so you can't tow)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your dealer is feeding you a line of s**t. Not installing the coolers will not void your warranty. I did not install any coolers. If all you are carrying around are bikes, why do you need coolers??? It is simply a way for them to make more money than they already are. In fact, if you tt Honda techs, they will honestly tell you that if you are towing <2000 lbs on an occasional basis, you don't need any coolers at all.

You can buy the Honda hitch itself for around $200. I paid only $186 for mine. No wiring harness, no coolers-

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
From the Honda Pilot Site;

From the Honda Pilot Site;
---------------------------------
Trailer Hitch
$249.00
Ideal for hauling bicycles. For towing needs, see Trailer Hitch with Towing Cooler Package.
------------------------------------

Remember your dealer is not "HONDA"
Note, the on-line price is much better, and the honda hitch connects both on the sides and right at the hitch. Most aftermarket hitches only connect on the sides.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hollywood racks

I use the Teamrider 2 from Hollywoodracks

It grabs the bike by the tires and the seatpost, which works well for bikes without a standard top tube, like FS mountain bikes.

Kit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hitch / warranty

I am somewhat reassured by checking that Honda's site does indeed talk about using the hitch on its own for carrying bikes, and that the full towing package is quoted separately.

However, Honda's installation instructions for the hitch include this little snippet:

Optional ATF and power steering coolers are required when installing the trailer hitch. Have recommended coolers available so they can be installed.

Assuming this little contradiction can be resolved, how difficult is a DIY installation of the hitch?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duh...

...I guess I should have read the recent thread on installing the towing hitch.

Thanks to all who replied.

Rob.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bike Racks and Mountaineer

We have the Mountaineer, and the bike racks, but not the Pilot (yet).

Rob, if putting five bikes on the back hitch-mounted rack does not go over the tongue weight for the hitch, you'll have no problems. Five bikes on the back though, sounds like a hassle.

We currently fit two bikes on top of our Volvo wagon, with the Mountaineer. The added width of the Pilot may enable you to get three on top with the box and then two or three on the back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, having spoken to an American Honda rep who tells me that installing the hitch without the cooling package won't void the warranty so long as you don't actually tow anything, I've taken the plunge and ordered the hitch from HondaAcuraWorld.

I plan on getting a bike rack that takes five bikes (I forget the brand), which should be OK considering that two of them are kiddie bikes.

So, with the Thule Mountaineer box and roof rails, it promises to be quite an expedition as we head down from Boston to the Outer Banks with three kids and the mother-in-law...

Rob

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Who goes in the box?

The kids or the Mother-in-law.

Just kidding, Mom!

·
Registered
311 Posts
FYI - I just put the Thule 754 Rapid Railing Carrier on my pilot. It looks good in that it has a low profile and installs on the existing roof rails. It will, I'm sure, create wind noise on the highway though. Just eyeballing it, I wouldn't bet that it will take a box and two bikes - It doesn't look all that wide. Works great for a couple of kayaks though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking at the Thule Literature, and assuming the 754 uses a 58" bar that is recommended for the pilot (can probably use longer), they show the 58" fitting two bikes and a box (not sure which model but looks midsize). The Mountaineer is mid-size as far as width for a box...so I'd guess it all squeezes on..

I'm planning on getting a box (either mountaineer of frontier (narrower than the mountaineer) and the 754 when the pilot comes in. Hoping to leave room for two bikes or skis etc still.

...steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thule Rack

I note that the Thule 754 Rapid Railing Carrier will hold 165 lbs - which is just about right for the mother-in-law. ;)

Rob.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well I went out and checked the box. I actually have a Thule 754 rapid rail system for the Pilot. It is nice, however, the bars that come with the kit are 50 inches. I guess that's why I thought they looked short for the box plus 2 bike configuration.

·
Registered
481 Posts
shift in subject, slightly

anyone look into those inside bike racks, the ones that mount, I presume, somewhere on the back of the second row seats?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Note: Thule fit

I have a Thule "Frontier", used with our CRV. I recently fitted it to my Pilot's factory cross bars, full forward. Problem: If you mount the ski carrier styled roof box to the factory crossbars on the Pilot you WILL NOT be able to open your Pilot's liftgate all the way...in fact about 1/2 way max. Appears the center, high mounted brake light/ spoiler will hit the bottom of your roof box....it did mine. I may need to order the 754 to get added height??.

As for the bike carriers.....I too am weighing the vice or fork mount roof option vs. the hitch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone using a Hollywood brand bike rack? They seem very stable and well built. Any experiences?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hollywood racks

Anyone using a Hollywood brand bike rack? They seem very stable and well built. Any experiences?
As I said earlier in this thread, I use a Hollywood Team Rider 2. I had a few problems with my rack, but Hollywood has excellent customer service and they took care of them.

The best thing about Hollywood racks is the wedge clamp they use to attach to the hitch - it's rock solid. When the bikes are off, and the rack is folded up, I don't even know it is there.

I bought the team rider because it grabs the bikes by the wheels and the seatpost, which will work on any bike, even if it lacks a traditional top tube.

Kit

·
Registered
311 Posts
Correction

Correction again - I have the Thule 755 rack.

I also went out and got a thule box for the rack. The Frontier I think. It's one of the long black boxes. Here is a warning. The rear hatch of your Pilot will bump the tail end of the box, so be careful - it scratches the paint on the spoiler on top of rear hatch! I was careful and still got a few nicks. I ended up putting a towel on top of the hatch while it was going up to make sure it would rub. It looks like this will be an issue even with the rack all the way forward. I plan on drilling new holes in the box to try to avoid this problem, but it doesn't look like it will work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the Thule 754 rails and its making a lot of wind noise...i have the deflector, but dont want to put it on since it looks better without it. Anyone having the same problem? will moving it further back help?:confused:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts