Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that want bike racks, and just finding out today that the interior Honda bike rack doesn't accomodate a full size bike...
http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2096
I'd like to know what you use or suggest. The roof mount rack poses the problem for me of how to get the dang bike up on the roof. :eek:
I don't know anything about them at all. Rear carriers, front carriers... I've seen them but need your advice. :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I use a rear rack, Thule 944.
Yakama also makes good equipment, I just prefer Thule.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Sage,

I would highly recommend a hitch-mount rack, as they hold the bikes at torso level, and are extremely easy to add or remove from the vehicle. Just pull the hitch pin, and off it comes.
The only downside (besides having to buy a hitch if you don't have one) is that since the Pilot has a fixed rear glass, you have to remove the rack in order to get into the back. I just put my cycling gear in the back seat, so I don't have to get into the back. Overall though, I think a hitch-mounted rack is the easiest to use, and lets you easily choose whether or not to drive around with it on.

You might check out Bike Nashbar or Performance or Colorado Cyclist web sites for these racks. The Performance hitch-mount rack that we bought years ago still works well, and is built strong enough to dismantle buildings with.

hth,
Phil Reedy

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sage said:
...and just finding out today that the interior Honda bike rack doesn't accomodate a full size bike...
Seriously, I can fit three full-sized mountain bikes and three full sized adults on the INSIDE of my Honda Pilot. The next time I have three bikes and three adults (damn that daylight savings time), I'll get a good picture. BTW, the mounts are about $15 each and are removable.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... I'll check out these options. Don't have a hitch and really don't want to get one just for a bike rack. Dang! Why didn't I get that! "Oh - I'll never use that!" Right. :rolleyes:

Prg... Is the Thule rack a hitch mount?

Ferball... Thanks for the pic! You had some fun that day!! :D
Having a hard time figuring out how the bike is held in there. But it's late... I'll look at it again tomorrow when my brain cells are functioning in their normal 80% range. :confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sage said:
Having a hard time figuring out how the bike is held in there.
Well, I had the board strapped down with the adjacent tie downs, but they didn't hold well enough for me. I decided to bolt the mounts to the cargo door instead. If things got screwed up, a replacement door is < $200 from Tim.
I can fit one more mount between the two for three bikes total.
Being able to hold bikes as well as people on the inside was a big selling point for me. After a good ride, we sometimes hit a restaurant on the way home. I don't want to have to worry about stuff getting stolen.
A friend of mine had a $1500 Mt. bike on a hitch on his Durango. The bike was stolen when at he was at an ATM. There were people in the truck at the time too! He didn't even notice until he was miles away.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
UPDATE ...

I just received the HONDA ROOF BIKE rack mount in the mail today. The HONDA mount is made by THULE ... it is identical to the THULE BIG MOUTH (599xt) with slight modifications to mount to the HONDA CROSSBARS. It comes with the lock cylinders, which you have to buy separately with the THULEs, so all in all a little more economical and instead of saying THULE on the side it says HONDA. Once I get the time to mount to the crossbars I post pictures.

PrG

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I forgot to mention that all the mounting hardware says THULE on it.

PrG

·
Registered
12 Posts
CHEAP HITCHES FOR PILOT

Go to ETRAILER.COM to get the best price on hitches. The OEM hitch is made by DrawTite and only costs 119.95. Hidden Hitch is only 99.95. Don't tell Honda this is how much they really cost.

Phillip
RedRock EX-L NAVI
San Jose,CA

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
THULE Bike Mount

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: CHEAP HITCHES FOR PILOT

FilipSim said:
. . . . . The OEM hitch is made by DrawTite and only costs 119.95. Hidden Hitch is only 99.95. Don't tell Honda this is how much they really cost.
Does the Drawtite hitch havee the center bolts like the Honda version?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drawtite

N_Jay

I viewed the installation instructions for both Hidden Hitch and Drawtite and they didn't mention anything about the center support plate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
fine for just bikes

If all you would ever want to do with the hitch is carry bike, then the center bolt mount shouldn't matter. Just buy the $99 hitch.
If you do want to tow something (2500 lb or heavier) eventually, then the Honda's hitch would be a better choice, $180.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Racks, again

No offense meant to Ferdball, but that bike he shows fitting in the back is a lot smaller than mine. My road bike is a 58cm, Trek 2200 (considered a large), and I am 6' tall. The seat and post have to be entirely removed for the bike to fit into the car, upright (this means it is about 6" or more too tall).

My trail bike, a GT I-Drive dual suspension bike, is even taller. It needs about 2 more inches of clearance than the road. If you are a smaller person, it might work for you. Check it out, first.

Also, it would help to have the cargo liner installed to keep things from getting really dirty. Using a piece of plastic with a gummed up trail bike only goes so far. Really, you might want to consider how important that leather is to you.

I have a hitch rack, which has a lock and cable, which I use. This of course can be beat if you are a professional thief, but just busting a window if it is inside will also work to get the bike. So, either way is a chance. I watch my bike carefully when I am inside a building, and my bikes are not super expensive (road and trail about $2000 each).

Regards,

EJ

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm 5'8" and my bike is a 17" hardtail. How high is the top of your seatstay? I can't imagine it being much taller than mine with the seatpost still in. You got pics?

As far as the plastic goes, I now use canvas that clips onto the headrest posts. The leather and seat backs are protected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts