Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinds of bike racks have you guys put on your pilots?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the thule rack system for now, left over from my last car. I will use it more for the ski attachment, but here is what I am going to get as soon as I have the money. I have the tow package, so there shoudl not be an issue.

http://www.bauergear.com/bauer/products3.html

you can start off with a 2 bike attachment and get an additional 2adapt.

It cost around 280-

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Thule

I use the Thule 944 Hitching Post 4 bike rack.
Fits my CR-V or the Pilot.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thule Swingaway

is what I use. It is a hitch mounted carrier and holds four road or mountain bikes, locks them up tight when you need to leave the Pilot and swings away from the vehicle so you can open the back hatch. (No I don't work for Thule). They are a little pricey at about $380 at most retail stores; but I found mine on sale at Scheels Sports for $320. It seems real solid too. I have hauled 3 bikes for up to 100 miles and couldn't tell it was there. I did have 4 bikes on; but only for a few miles. Four mountain bikes are a little tight and I did have to take the seats off of two of them to make them all fit. Sure is a lot easier than lifting to the roof and you don't have to take off any of the wheels. My wife can get the bikes on and off by herself, which she couldn't do with a roof mounted carrier. I don't notice any wind noise or lower gas milage with this system either. Hope this helps :cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you keep the front wheel from moving and banging tha back of your pilot....

·
Registered
289 Posts
It isn't close enough...

to hit the back of the Pilot. It actually hits the bottom of the bike carrier first; but I do just put a bungee cord on the wheel and either attach to the carrier if I only have one bike or bungee the wheels together if two or more bikes. The first time I used it I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the front wheel swing towards the truck and almost had a heart attack. I was sure the wheel would hit the Pilot; but when I stopped to look I discovered it hit the cross bar of the carrier and was no where near the truck. :cool:

·
Registered
920 Posts
puccetti said:
I have the thule rack system for now, left over from my last car. I will use it more for the ski attachment, but here is what I am going to get as soon as I have the money. I have the tow package, so there shoudl not be an issue.

http://www.bauergear.com/bauer/products3.html

you can start off with a 2 bike attachment and get an additional 2adapt.

It cost around 280-
Why Bauer vs. Thule???

·
Registered
289 Posts
MG Pilot

My question too. Why not Thule? You can get the same swing away feathures and load 4 bikes for about $40 more for the Thule. From what I can tell the Thule looks more sturdy and you can pick up parts and/or repairs locally almost everywhere. Is there some feature with the Bauer that makes it your primary choice? Maybe I should have looked at the Bauer too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just purchased online the Yakima Terra Firma hitch mounted bike rack for about $220 including shipping. Is anyone else using this rack? What's your impression of it? I am assuming it will work fine with the factory trailer hitch...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hitch Rack

Just found the easiest and quickest bike rack in the market. It's the SportWorks Transport series rack. It is a 2-bike rack but upgradeable to 4 bikes. All you have to do is lift the bike unto the front tire loop and rest the rear tire on the channel. Pull up the ratchet arm over the front tire, push it down against the tire. Rotate the lock ring around the rear wheel and you're done. The bike stays pretty secure with no swinging and no need for straps. The rack also folds up when not in use and swings down when loaded to access the hatch. Sweeeet!! They run around $300 but got a great deal here in Livermore, CA for 25% off.:2:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Hitch Rack

FilipSim said:
Just found the easiest and quickest bike rack in the market. It's the SportWorks Transport series rack.
-snip-
They run around $300 but got a great deal here in Livermore, CA for 25% off.:2:
Phillip,
Tell me more about the "25% off" deal you found. Is this price available elsewhere? The best price I have found is $285 at BikeSmart.

TIA

·
Registered
64 Posts
You might want to try Etrailer .com they have bike racks and trailer hitches real cheap I purchased a hitch class III for $99.00

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
jimburgia said:
You might want to try Etrailer .com they have bike racks and trailer hitches real cheap I purchased a hitch class III for $99.00
Etrailer is a good way to go for either HiddenHitch or DrawTite - but I was inquiring about the "Sportwork Transport" bike rack - which is not carried by ETrailer.

Thanks!

rod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

I've been an active "browser" ever since I started considering the purchase of a Pilot and have found some great info. on this site. My wife an I have been thinking about purchasing bikes this year and I too have been looking into bike racks and am wondering why noone has mentioned the factory bike rack that you can buy at H&A accessories. Is something wrong with them? I'm new to the biking world so forgive me if the question seems silly ;) We also go up to Mackinac Island every year (about 380 miles each way) and need something stable. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Family:

You need to decide where you want to carry the bikes:
1)on the roof
2)in the back of the pilot
3)on the back of the pilot

If on the back, you have a choice between hitch racks, that are extremely stable but require the hitch, or a rack that uses straps and the bumper.

Hitch racks come in various designs. Some allow the bikes to hang on a rack, and some use a tray, and either attach at the fork and back tire (requiring that you remove the wheel and put in in the back) or those that sit in two tire trays and have a swing up device to hold them down.

Honda sells a hitch rack (hanger type) and a roof rack. These are made for them, and can be bought direct for less money.

I have a hitch rack that uses a fork mount, and it is extremely stable. Go to a good bike store and check out the various types - they may even let you take them out to the pilot and see how they fit.

EJ

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
just something to consider... I mounted my mtn bike on the roof (Yakima) this summer. I was trailering a boat, so hitch mount was not an option. It is a longgg way up to the roof to mount the bike... especially if you don't have a helper. I'm in decent shape (for 35 yrs old), and carrying the bike in one hand while climbing on top of the Pilots rear tire was a little tricky.:eek: If there is room in back, carrying a small 2step folding step ladder would be advisable. If not towing anything, hitch set up seems like the way to go (you don't have to worry about inadvertently pulling into your garage and tearing the bike and the roof of your Pilot).
Just my .02
If you run a "search", I believe that PrG has a thread which shows his experience with the Honda factory rooftop hitch.
+

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Eddie and Davemac for your replies. I'll try and do a search on the Honda bike rack. I was already afraid of the thought of raising two bikes onto the roof of the Pilot but the cost of the Honda rack is really appealing. I really like the setup that Eddie is using and it looks quite stable. Can I ask how it reacts on the highway, and what brand bike rack it is? Thanks again...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Family:

It is very stable on the highway, and the brand is Hollywood. They have a web site and you can browse through the styles (as does Yakima and Thule). There are many nice racks and styles, but putting a bike on the roof is too big a lift for me. You would have to use a stepladder.

However, note that if you use a hitch rack you can't open the hatch unless you take the bikes off or swing the rack and bikes down. I can do this with my Hollywood rack, although it takes two people to do it easily. Just pull a pin and it drops down, and you can open the hatch. However, it is really heavy for one person.

EJ

1 - 20 of 35 Posts