Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
We have the Yakima roof mounted system. Yakima (4) Control Towers attached to the factory rails, (2) 58" cross bars, (2) Sprocket Rocket bike racks and a Yakima Skybox 16 for the long roadtrips/vacations. I had bought this system for our '07 Pilot EX-L and now transferred it over to the '11. Love it all. I would definitely recommend Yakima products. Thule is good too.

Here is a link to Yakima's website:

Yakima: Racks, Bike Racks, Roof Racks for Skis, Cargo & Kayaks

Here's a great place to purchase rack systems:

Rack Attack - Thule Rack, Yakima Rack : bike, ski, kayak, snowboard, cargo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is a picture of our set up on the '07 Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an older version of this
http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/9027-Apex-Swing-4-Bike

It is expensive but its a super nice set up. When the rack is loaded it can swing the bikes completly out of the way of the back hatch so you can get in & out of it if necessary. This looks a bit easier to load than mine, because of the arc in the arms. The anti-sway cage looks goofy but works like a charm.

This one is another option - it looks like it will swing the bikes away to the side when loaded and when unloaded it will allow you to simply tilit it away from the back of the vehicle
http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/9031-Vertex-Swing#

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got one of those cheap bike racks you get at walmart in the bicycle section.

It hooks into the rear trailer connection and holds 4 bikes.

Works great for carrying my kids bikes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got a Thule as well. I think it's called the Ridgeway. It's a 4 bike rack, tilts out of the way so I can open the hatch, and has the Thule anti-swing brackets so the bikes don't bang against each other. Works like a charm. My buddy who is a TT and crit racer has the same rack. If it's good enough for his bikes, ~$6,000 each, it's good enough for me.

It's a much more solid rack than anything from Yakima, by the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
skybox 16

We have the Yakima roof mounted system. Yakima (4) Control Towers attached to the factory rails, (2) 58" cross bars, (2) Sprocket Rocket bike racks and a Yakima Skybox 16 for the long roadtrips/vacations. I had bought this system for our '07 Pilot EX-L and now transferred it over to the '11. Love it all. I would definitely recommend Yakima products. Thule is good too.

Toshweir,

I have a 2012 pilot that does not have factory roof rails. I was going to buy the factory rails to use my yakima rail grab, crossbars, and skybox 16 . My fear is that the skybox will hit the tailgate using the factory rails. How does this work on your 2011 with factory rails and yakima crossbars and Control Towers? Can you gap the crossbars enough under the skybox for good support with the factory rails? Also, I have Control Towers but dont understand how you attached them to the factory roof rails. Which attachment (Landing Pad / part number) was used for that. If you offer the proper advise, then I already have the same set up as you and just need the factory rails. I had this stuff on my old car where Yakima track were installed and drilled into the car. I don't want to drill in the Pilot. A photo on the 2011 would be great showing the spread you have and the tailgate open. Thanks a ton. I also sent you a PM.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Yakima products and always been happy with product and customer service.

We have for bikes:

Frontloader (rack) & Holdup 2 (hitch)

The holdup blocks the tailgate from being open but not the glass. Just a thing to keep in mind. Both are great and strong.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Hi, Do you have a picture of your setup on your 2011 Pilot? Reason i ask 'cuz i'm planning on getting a Yakima front loader or high roller (roof mounted bicycle racks), but it looks very long in the back.

Curious if the length will get in the way of the tail gate opening up all the way.

can't seem to find a picture of a honda pilot with bicycle roof mounts...maybe it's too high, and no one in their right mind would wanna put a bicycle up that high?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had two Thule big mouth units on my Pilot. Im 5'8" so it was a huge undertaking to mount and unmounts my bikes from the roof of the car. The pilot looked really nice with them on the roof rack. But to me style did not pay off with the amount of work that I had to go through in order to use my bikes. I returned them and got a 2" hitch mounted rack. It was the best thing I could have ever done. I got the 4 bike unit from Thule. I know a lot of you guys out there just want your ride to look cool. But if you actually plan on using your bike rack for bikes then I highly recommend a hitch mount unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had two Thule big mouth units on my Pilot. Im 5'8" so it was a huge undertaking to mount and unmounts my bikes from the roof of the car. The pilot looked really nice with them on the roof rack. But to me style did not pay off with the amount of work that I had to go through in order to use my bikes. I returned them and got a 2" hitch mounted rack. It was the best thing I could have ever done. I got the 4 bike unit from Thule. I know a lot of you guys out there just want your ride to look cool. But if you actually plan on using your bike rack for bikes then I highly recommend a hitch mount unit.
Thanks, leoskee. I get what you mean, it's sounds very difficult to put even ~30lbs over your head and lock it down on the tall roof of a Honda Pilot.

However, Hitch mounts for bikes will BLOCK your LICENSE PLATE. Would rather not get a ticket for that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Im the NY/NJ are and I have never been stopped for a blocked license plate. I go camping each summer and travel with my kids quite a lot "fully loaded" and have never been pulled over. I guess CA plays differently. Im not sure how many crooks drive around with bikes attached to the back of their pilots. lol I haven't looked up the laws in my area so I do not know the specifics but Im assuming things like that are not enforced in my area.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thanks, leoskee. I get what you mean, it's sounds very difficult to put even ~30lbs over your head and lock it down on the tall roof of a Honda Pilot.

However, Hitch mounts for bikes will BLOCK your LICENSE PLATE. Would rather not get a ticket for that.
More people are ticketed for not having their front license plate attached than by having their rear license plate covered up temporarily with a bike rack. I wouldn't worry, to be honest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Kuat NV Core, I looked at Yakima and Thule and went with Kuat, its very solid and well made, the only pic I have of it is on my accord that I dont have anymore

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
A simple ( but not legal solution ) and temporary thing to do if anyone is worried about blocking their license plate view ( most folks can usually see that there is indeed a license plate through bikes on the back of a vehicle) would be to get a white piece of cardboard, use a black marker, write down your plate numbers, letters, sticker expiration numbers, and state, over-wrap it in clear, plastic wrap and attach it to the last bike with twist ties, zip ties or safety-wire.

We took a cross-country trip with a caro-hitch carrier that had a weather-proof bag, I just slid that stupid sign in between the bag and the cage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's your budget? Look into the 1UPUSA.com :: Home racks. ATM, I have a CL special hitch platform rack but will eventually front the cash for a 1UPusa rack.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts