Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on how to transport a hybrid mountain bike INSIDE (versus) outside the Pilot, for security reasons etc. I'd like to see other alternatives to mounting the bike on the roof rack system or hitch method, etc. Is there a better inside transport option than putting the seats down and just laying the bike on its side? I tried to use one of those Saris track systems and have the bike in an upright position but my bike is too tall. This was the system I tried using. Even with the seat removed and the front tire removed, the handle bars were hitting the headliner. Is it just me or is the headspace of the 3rd Gen Pilot "shallow" or low ? Seats were down also.

https://www.amazon.com/Saris-Unique-Single-Storage-47-Inch/dp/B000BTA6N6

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd like to see other alternatives to mounting the bike on the roof rack system or hitch method, etc. Is there a better inside transport option than putting the seats down and just laying the bike on its side?
I tried a similar approach and failed. I almost got there by deflating the rear tire - that might buy you another inch. In my first-gen, headroom increases as you go toward the rear; have you tried it both directions?

I'm sure that removing one of the second-row seats would create enough room (especially with the bike facing backwards), but for me that causes other problems. Upside down with both wheels off might work. Both options are more difficult for me than using a regular rack.

I use roof top racks with a locking fork mount. Its not bulletproof, but it makes theft a lot more difficult. I keep the front wheel in a wheel bag inside the car. Good racks (Yakima, Thule, etc.) are easy to find inexpensively on Craigslist.

If anyone has better suggestions for tall bikes, I'd like to hear them, too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I don't have the roof rack mounts on my EX-L and yes I tried both ways.. handlebars towards front vs back and all I can figure out is either 1) lay the bike down on its side or 2) use a hitch mount approach or one of those Saris "trunk hitch" mounts but I'm afraid of rubbing the paint when the tailgate is closed. Trying to think "out of the box" but it looks like you tried a lot of other ideas too

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
huh, I just pull the tires off my mountain bike to get it to fit inside with the 3rd row down. Not very elegant but it works. I do like that internal rack but would be surprised if the pilot could clear a mtn bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts