Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you audiophiles, a question . . .

If I, an unsophisticated music listener, wanted to make one change to upgrade my enjoyment of my Pilot's audio system, what would you recommend I do?

My listening habbits are 90% bluegrass on CD, 5% Other CDs and 5% AM talk radio.

Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I looked into upgrading the system also. From what I was told, new speakers would give you somewhat better sound, but to make it really worthwhile, an additonal amp is needed to drive them. So its really a two step process.

I'm getting used to the sound in the Pilot. It doesn't compare to system in my Mazda Millenia which consists of a Pioneer head unit with Boston Acoustic Rallye speakers all around, but i guess it isn't bad for a stock system.

Since the Pilot is my wifes car and she doesn't seem to care about the sound quality, and since I only get to drive it occasionally, I've decided not to upgrade the sound system for now.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Try This Ag

Just burn these to a CD and Play it all the Time...You'll cheer up quickly.

"Texas Fight"

Texas Fight! Texas Fight!
And it's goodbye to A & M.
And we'll put over one more win.
For it's Texas that we love best.
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here,
And it's goodbye to all the rest!

Yea, Orange! Yea, White!
Yea, Longhorns! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Yea, Texas Fight!
Yea, Texas Fight!
The 'Eyes of Texas' are upon you,
All the live long day!
The 'Eyes of Texas' are upon you,
You cannot get away!
For it's Texas that we love best!
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!
And it's goodbye to all the rest!

"The Eyes of Texas"

The eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live long day.
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them,
At night, or early in the morn.
'Till Gabriel blows his horn!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SteveLuman,

HA! That's pretty funny.

I''m surprised you know all the words. Almost would have thought you went to a school with REAL spirit instead of t.u. :2:

Actually, the 5% "other" CD usages includes healthy doses of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. Sounds great, especially when you turn the base up.

Gig 'em!

·
Registered
59 Posts

Howdy...followed my Pokes to Kyle Field last year for the "red white and blue - out" game. What a great atmosphere, wish we could match it. Maybe we'll see you in Stillwater in November?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
casdas said:

Howdy...followed my Pokes to Kyle Field last year for the "red white and blue - out" game. What a great atmosphere, wish we could match it. Maybe we'll see you in Stillwater in November?
Casdas,

Thanks for the invite. I don't have that road trip in the plans although it would be fun.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game last year. I have a framed print of it hanging on my wall at the office. People like to give me a lot of grief for being an Aggie, but they see that print and to a man remark that only A&M could pull something like the Red, White and Blue Out together.

C'mon down next year and bring your Pilot and we can meet up.

P.S. I like your Pokes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've said it before...

You can and almost cetainly WILL notice a VAST difference in listening enjoyment to any CD, FM music, or AM voice by simply upgrading the stock speakers to mid-grade aftermarket units.

It, of course, will not make your stock head unit any better, but just like cleaning the thumbprints off your cheap, dirty sunglasses, it is an improvement. (And to extend the analogy, most car stereo shops would "recommend" that you replace your windshield to 'get maximum value' and upgrade to top-of-the line sunglasses too).

Yes, you ought to consider the efficiency/sensitivity of the speakers, as you don't want to experience a loss in volume. Yes, you should investigate what else you would be happiest with in any upgrade. (everything to noise dampening {which makes your vehicel quieter all the time}, to filters/equalizers/crossover to make the music you listen to sound as good as it can)

Others have stated (accurately) that the stock head unit is not very powerful. I counter that you can get very much better sound by using every bit of that power. The stock speakers are like $14, paper cones, itty-bitty magnets, cheaply made. A nice aftermarket unit can be had for under $80/pair and is instantly recognizable as to where they spent the money -- high quality cones, hefty magnet, modern low-distortion surround, heavy basket.

It is easily as noticeable as listening to a WalMart 'brand X' boom box and comparing this to a well made Yamaha or Kloss table radio...

If you decide to do an installation yourself, you can use the money saved to add some sound deadening material. If you choose to use a stereo shop, I strongly recommend talking to the actual installer, not just a saleguy. The installers often have a slightly different perspective, as they listen to all kinds of less than ideal components as they are intsalled/removed/upgraded. They get paid the same hourly rate to install bottom-of-the line junk and top-of-the line 'golden ear' stuff. Often the salesfolks only hear the stuff in showrooms/well designed custom installations, AND their commision clouds their advice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts