Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, anyone tried a bigger tire on their Pilots yet?

245/60R20 is 31.6 (29.6 is standard)

255/55R20 is 31.0 (29.6 is standard)

I like the idea of the bigger sidewall in 245/60 but they are pushing the size a little, there may be some rubbing. 255/55 is bigger and will fit without issues but I am less interested in a wider tire.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts

I like the idea of the bigger sidewall in 245/60 but they are pushing the size a little, there may be some rubbing. 255/55 is bigger and will fit without issues but I am less interested in a wider tire.

Any thoughts?
Lot of talk about tire size in the other thread that is currently listed right next to yours. It is more about width than height but some were going to a taller tire as well. :)
https://www.piloteers.org/threads/what-tires-are-people-replacing-oem-with.143409/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, man. I swear the search feature on this site does not always work. I tried searching for 255/55R20 before i posted and nothing came up. I did a search today and it worked. Thanks for posting the link!

Lot of talk about tire size in the other thread that is currently listed right next to yours. It is more about width than height but some were going to a taller tire as well. :)
https://www.piloteers.org/threads/what-tires-are-people-replacing-oem-with.143409/

·
Registered
58 Posts
We went with 255/50/20 on our 16' Elite. No problems at all, rides better with a little more sidewall then stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We went with 255/50/20 on our 16' Elite. No problems at all, rides better with a little more sidewall then stock.
Can you post a pic from the side and back of your Pilot so I can see the 255’s? Also, what brand of tire did you buy? I’m looking to replace original Conti’s. Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can you post a pic from the side and back of your Pilot so I can see the 255’s? Also, what brand of tire did you buy? I’m looking to replace original Conti’s. Thanks
Not trying to butt in here, but since you're looking for pics of 255/50R20's here's one from a different thread with the set of Goodyears that I put on my '16 Touring model and a link to the thread it's in.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not trying to butt in here, but since you're looking for pics of 255/50R20's here's one from a different thread with the set of Goodyears that I put on my '16 Touring model and a link to the thread it's in.

View attachment 135288

Thanks! I did see your pic. How do you like the Goodyear Assurance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 265/50/20 on my 2017 look nice and fills up the wheel well nice.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks! I did see your pic. How do you like the Goodyear Assurance?
I really do like them. I haven't had the opportunity to try them out in anything over 2-3" of snow so I can't give a decent review of how they do in deep snow. They were great in the snow we have had and they're awesome for ride, noise, and handling on 2 lane & interstate driving. They're a huge improvement over the OE Conti's that came on it...

·
Banned
1 Posts

View attachment 135288

Dear Yoda!
Do you have a problem with the maximum turn?
Are these tires not big for this car?
I want to buy Michelin Latitude LA2 255/55 / R20 winter tires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Overall tire size of 775mm (30.5") is the max to clear wheel well on wheels with near stock wheel offset.
265/50R-20 is a 773mm (30.43")
275/45R-20 is a 756mm (29.76")
255/50R-20 is a 763mm (30.04")
All the above tires can fit on the OEM 20" wheel with no rubbing.

255/55R-20 is a 789mm (31.06") - will require some modifications as it is an inch larger than the max. Both generation Ridgelines run the same overall tire size.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dear Yoda!
Do you have a problem with the maximum turn?
Are these tires not big for this car?
I want to buy Michelin Latitude LA2 255/55 / R20 winter tires.
First of all I apologize for the misquote of the size 255/50R20. What I actually put on was 255/55R20 Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires. They fit with plenty of clearance with no modifications, and have never rubbed. I can turn lock to lock on uneven ground without ever touching anywhere. The official Goodyear site lists the overall outside diameter @ 30.1 " and 695 Revs Per Mile. My speedometer does read approximately 3.5% slower than with the OE tires. Hope this clarifies things and answers your question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all I apologize for the misquote of the size 255/50R20. What I actually put on was 255/55R20 Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires. They fit with plenty of clearance with no modifications, and have never rubbed. I can turn lock to lock on uneven ground without ever touching anywhere. The official Goodyear site lists the overall outside diameter @ 30.1 " and 695 Revs Per Mile. My speedometer does read approximately 3.5% slower than with the OE tires. Hope this clarifies things and answers your question.
Dear Yoda, Can you please, please clarify and put this subject to rest for once and for all. Can you please provide some pictures of your tire size print? I went to the dealer and measured (a new Pilot) the gap between the tire and the wheel well, (the shortest distance) And my findings were .65”. The factory tires are 29.7” in diameter. The Radius of Factory tire plus the Gap together is 14.85” + .65” = 15.5”. And the radius of a 31 inch tire (255/55-20) is 15.5”. So this says there is absolutely no space left after this tire installation. I don't know how this will work. It might be the specific manufacturer of the tire and its size. Or it could be the curve of the tire at that specific point of the hump on the wheel well that makes it work for you. It would be nice to see some pictures and the gap between the tire and the wheel well when steering is in full turn lock. I am very skeptical. Please prove me wrong. Thank you

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dear Yoda, Can you please, please clarify and put this subject to rest for once and for all. Can you please provide some pictures of your tire size print? I went to the dealer and measured (a new Pilot) the gap between the tire and the wheel well, (the shortest distance) And my findings were .65”. The factory tires are 29.7” in diameter. The Radius of Factory tire plus the Gap together is 14.85” + .65” = 15.5”. And the radius of a 31 inch tire (255/55-20) is 15.5”. So this says there is absolutely no space left after this tire installation. I don't know how this will work. It might be the specific manufacturer of the tire and its size. Or it could be the curve of the tire at that specific point of the hump on the wheel well that makes it work for you. It would be nice to see some pictures and the gap between the tire and the wheel well when steering is in full turn lock. I am very skeptical. Please prove me wrong. Thank you

Marts1,

I'll try to get a couple of pics for you tomorrow.

As promised...

PXL_20201204_143922045.jpg
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring 255/55R20.

PXL_20201204_143545929.jpg
Full lock front of wheel well with approx. 1" of clearance.

Full lock, rear of wheel well with approximately 3/8" of clearance.

I did see that on both front wheel wells, the tires have just barely scuffed the back inside edge of the plastic inner fender. I'm guessing this would only happen while turning full lock on uneven ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marts1,

I'll try to get a couple of pics for you tomorrow.

As promised...

PXL_20201204_143922045.jpg
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring 255/55R20.

PXL_20201204_143545929.jpg
Full lock front of wheel well with approx. 1" of clearance.

Full lock, rear of wheel well with approximately 3/8" of clearance.

I did see that on both front wheel wells, the tires have just barely scuffed the back inside edge of the plastic inner fender. I'm guessing this would only happen while turning full lock on uneven ground.

Yoda,

Thank you, That's great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts