Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have 2013 pilot lx, wanted to go bigger size tires for overlanding and snow westher. Any suggestions!??

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
you can go with an 18 so 255/55 r 18 will be the biggest fattest tire you can go with on an oem rim..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with Yokohama Geolandar 265/60/18 on the factory wheels. I think it looks great. You will lose 1-2 MPG and your speedometer will be off due to the bigger diameter though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I went with Yokohama Geolandar 265/60/18 on the factory wheels. I think it looks great. You will lose 1-2 MPG and your speedometer will be off due to the bigger diameter though.
Looks great ! ..

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Larger-diameter tires skew the speedometer and odometer equally. It's pretty easy to figure the errors as percents, and use those to estimate your actual speed rolling down the road. New_Diameter/Old_Diameter gives you a multiplier to use with both indicated speedo readings and fuel economy (MPG) numbers.

----

For a certain period in the last century, both GM and Ford used aggressive odometer gearing to artificially improve MPG numbers, and shorten their warranty exposure on new cars they sold. This seriously affected payments/costs for leased cars too. Errors greater than +10% were often noted. Savvy owners/lessees were correcting those errors with different speedo cable drive gears, but ultimately some class-action lawsuits were used to get things right again. Without admitting guilt, yer 'onner, we promise not to get caught doing it again. Our modern cars no longer use cable-drive speedometers and odometers; instead they count pulses from wheel sensors shared/integrated with vehicle stability, traction control and ABS systems in the cars. It's been a long while since I've seen "calibrated" milepost marker sections on highways for speedo/odo verification.

Reactions: 2_Stroke

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
FWIW, I fit 235-65-18 Michelin X-ice tires on my 2013 with zero clearance issues.

That's the stock tire size on middle and upper-trim Pilots, so no clearance issues are expected. Sorry -- Stock is 235/60-18

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
That's the stock tire size on middle and upper-trim Pilots, so no clearance issues are expected.
Check again.
235/60R18 was the stock tire size on upper trim level Pilots for model years 2012-2016.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Check again.
235/60R18 was the stock tire size on upper trim level Pilots for model years 2012-2016.
235/60r18 was only up to the 2015 , the 2016 series started at 245/50R20 for the Elite / touring and 245/60R18 for the EX,EXL and the LX

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking at a reasonably priced used set of relatively low-mile, aftermarket wheels with 3 season tires in order to leave dedicated winters mounted on the car's OEM 18s. The tires are bridgestone dueler HL alemnza plus 265/60-18s and the wheels have a +45 offset (OEM appears to be +35). After reviewing DFWpilot's post, should a cm of greater offset kill my interest?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any clearance/rubbing issues?
Spring is near and need to take off the winters. Have purchased another set of OEM 5 spokes and will likely go the Yokahama route cited above unless DFWPilot chimes in with issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tires and wheels have arrived. Waiting for TPMS sensors to get here via USPS. Still need center caps but they seem to be a LOT of money for what they are. May pull them out of the winters and keep looking for others...perhaps aftermarket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Update: Applied a set of new 265-60-18 Yokahama Geolandar A/T G015 tires and DENSO 5500206 TPM's from RockAuto on a second set of stock wheels yesterday. No rubbing in full-lock steering in either direction. No issues with TPMS lights and no need to reprogram to accommodate new sensors. I thought the TPMS would have an issue with new sensors but nope!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts