Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
15,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent a bunch of time reading the reports on a storm. Hopefully some Piloteers out there can tell us about their experiences and post a few photos

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure how it’s going in the Northwest. My wife just got a call from her father and he said 80% of Bellevue has been without power since 0100 hours 12/25 and that power may not be restored for three to four days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1/4 million with out power in Vancouver Suburbs and Vancouver Island.

Stanley Park (famous place up here) is closed to all visitors including those to the Aquarium, and Christmas Train (we had tickets, they were cancelled) as well as one of the main roads goes throught the park, and over a bridge to the other side of Burrard Inlet, causing huge backups on other routes.

We did not loose power this time (did a few weeks ago).
This morning we woke up to a 1/2 inch of snow, just when the last batch (18") was washed away from the rain.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We lost power for 36 hours. Of course, It went out just before the big freeze came. I ran around like a maniac preparing for it, and still wasn't prepared. Turns out the pile of firewood lost it's tarp before the rains, and I never thought to check on it. I learned that refridgerators don't hold their cold very long. My uncle out in Shelton STILL does not have power. And it looks like a another storm is coming in tomorrow evening, though not as great.
Being big campers, we luckily have necessities, but a generator would be nice. Nice and expensive though. Duraflame logs burn nice and hot.
Does anyone know of the carbon monoxide risk when having a fire in an open fireplace? That worries me.
Last I heard, 12 people have died, most of them Carbon Monoxide poisoning. WHY are people bringing BBQ's and generators in the house??? Not enough is being done to prepare people. Just shows how we're not ready for 'the big one' to hit us, if we can't handle one windstorm.
Trees were down on powerlines everywhere, stop lights of course were out, which made driving anywhere horrible.
.:soapbox: FYI...when stop lights are out, you don't get to cruise through the intersection like you own the place!!! Anyone else annoyed by that?
Anyway, I hope you're all well up here in the NW. Stay warm everybody.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
We lost power for 36 hours. Of course, It went out just before the big freeze came. I ran around like a maniac preparing for it, and still wasn't prepared. Turns out the pile of firewood lost it's tarp before the rains, and I never thought to check on it. I learned that refridgerators don't hold their cold very long. My uncle out in Shelton STILL does not have power. And it looks like a another storm is coming in tomorrow evening, though not as great.
Being big campers, we luckily have necessities, but a generator would be nice. Nice and expensive though. Duraflame logs burn nice and hot.
Does anyone know of the carbon monoxide risk when having a fire in an open fireplace? That worries me.
Last I heard, 12 people have died, most of them Carbon Monoxide poisoning. WHY are people bringing BBQ's and generators in the house??? Not enough is being done to prepare people. Just shows how we're not ready for 'the big one' to hit us, if we can't handle one windstorm.
Trees were down on powerlines everywhere, stop lights of course were out, which made driving anywhere horrible.
.:soapbox: FYI...when stop lights are out, you don't get to cruise through the intersection like you own the place!!! Anyone else annoyed by that?
Anyway, I hope you're all well up here in the NW. Stay warm everybody.
Glad to see a post from you; we've been worried about our Northwest contingent!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here in Bothell/Kenmore we were out from Thurs. until Sun. We were lucky, all is well at our house. Lost all our food though. There are alot of big pine trees out here in the 'burbs. Woodinville which is 3 miles east is still without power and may not get it back until after Christmas.

Yes, flying through dead intersections is going to get someone t-boned.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I don't know about other places, but in Tennessee any traffic light that is out is to be treated by law as a 4-way stop. Or so the theory goes; reality is somewhat different.

As for the carbon monoxide risk from a fire in a fireplace, I'd guess (big disclaimer here) that it would be safe as long as the chimney is venting properly. Even gas logs need to be properly vented unless they are specifically made to be "ventless".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts