Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had an accident today. yes, in my brand new shiny not a ding on it under 1000 miles pilot!:( now, here's the question. the cop said there would be a "black box" in the car, similar to a plane's black box, that would record data leading up to the crash! anyone know anything about this and whether there is one on the Pilots?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like the cop is fishing for a little truth by using BS for bait.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would have thought so too, but after doing some research, turns out they ARE starting to equip cars with these devices. just can't figure out if they're on the Pilot!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU jtvicknair! that makes me feel much better. the other driver made a left right in front of me and hit me on the side, but he claims if i hadn't been speeding, he wouldn't have hit me!!! i don't THINK i was speeding, but now i'm not so sure:eek: i'll sleep a little better knowing that they won't come bashing down my door!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Go figure. Since I have never owned a domestic car, I have never heard of this. Leave it to GM to come up with a way to use you as a crash test dummy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Here's Some Info

There is a way that police and insurance companies can learn about the last moments of a vehicle involved in collisions.

It turns out, about the last 3 to 4 seconds of a vehicle's computer activity is stored in the vehicles "brain" and can be downloaded onto a computer.

Computer controlled items like: fuel injection programming, anti-lock brakes, transmission and airbag info can be downloaded from your vehicle.

Cops/Insurance companies can guage what level of braking was used if your ABS has been triggered. They can learn what actions your transmission were taking and what settings your engine may have been at the moment of impact. Plus, if airbags are deployed, a "speed at the time of impact" can be assessed.

So, while there is not necessarily a "black box" in your car - it can cough up information to investigators. And yes, some automakers are working to create a "black box" type device for vehicles that police could download right on the scene of the crash.

Just so you don't think I'm nuts - I learned this information from my insurance agent and friendly service manager at my Honda dealership.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, in other words, my car can rat me out. it used to be clear cut. if a driver made a left into you, he was at fault - end of story. now i may be accused of contributory negligence and the witness is a car. and the worst is, i don't even know if i was speeding!!!:3:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tmcguinn1 said:
THANK YOU jtvicknair! that makes me feel much better. the other driver made a left right in front of me and hit me on the side, but he claims if i hadn't been speeding, he wouldn't have hit me!!! i don't THINK i was speeding, but now i'm not so sure:eek: i'll sleep a little better knowing that they won't come bashing down my door!
What a load of crap!!! People like that just makes my blood boil. If you had the right of way, then he should've yielded, period. I don't care if you were speeding or not. The other driver's trying to squirm his way out of having to accept full responsibility on this accident. I don't know how people like him can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. If you were speeding ridiculously high, then perhaps, just perhaps he might have an argument, but if that were the case, you'd probably be in the hospital already.

What perplexes me somewhat is that, in accidents like this one in which the driver misjudges the oncoming traffic when making a left turn and collides with it, your car would've been the one crashing into the other car, normally either into the rightside part of the front end or somewhere on the rightside of the car.

It's hard to imagine how the other driver could've crashed into your side. I assume this is your leftside, then? I hope all works out for you in the end. I've just been through an accident in which the other driver rearended our Pilot. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks RipRock! yeah, he hit me in the front left corner (on the side, not the front of the car). his right corner is totally smashed. the cop sided with me but said the other driver will probably contest his citation because he swears i was going 60 in a 40 zone. he must have had a radar gun!!

read about your accident! i was in your wife's shoes. both kids in the car heading to toys r us of all places!! hope your wife is done shaking! i'm not!! i know how she feels!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
tmcguinn1 said:
Dang tmcguinn1! What a bummer! Hope all goes easy & in your favor.
This is the first I've heard of the Black Box in a vehicle. :eek:
Sorry for your accident but glad you posted the info.
Good luck! :4:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tmcguinn1 said:
Thanks RipRock! yeah, he hit me in the front left corner (on the side, not the front of the car). his right corner is totally smashed. the cop sided with me but said the other driver will probably contest his citation because he swears i was going 60 in a 40 zone. he must have had a radar gun!!
Man, what a weasel. If this character does contest it, it'll most likely end up in traffic court. At least around here, that's how it's handled. If so, see if it's possible to find out when his court date will be and make sure the police officer will attend the hearing and also, see if you can appear as a witness. Around here, if the police officer doesn't show up, the traffic law violator gets off scott free.

read about your accident! i was in your wife's shoes. both kids in the car heading to toys r us of all places!! hope your wife is done shaking! i'm not!! i know how she feels!
Jeeze! Your kids were in the car? Oh, man, I hope they're alright. Make sure to have them checked out by a physician tomorrow or the day after. Also, make sure to keep a close eye on them for any sign of injuries. Did they say whether they bumped their heads or not at all? That's what I'd be most worried about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
checked the boys (8 & 13)first thing. the 13 year old was sitting in the front first time ever since he turned 13 sunday!! (i'm a bit overprotective) they seem fine and didn't bump their heads. they both had their belts on and so did i, so injuries were contained to wrenching my back. that's an old injury, though, so i can deal. i'll go to the chiropractor tomorrow and call the kids dr. just in case!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Also terribly sorry to hear about your accident, tmcguinn1... bummer that your first few posts had to bring bad news! BUt glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt, especially your kids!!!! :4: Seems to be a rash of Pilot accidents recently (Sage: you gotta spread the word more: Safe Piloting to everyone :17: ).

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife manages an Insurance claims office, and she tells me about excuses like this all the time -

"You were going too slow, so I hit you - it's your fault"

"You stopped for the road hazard, and I ran into you - it's your fault"

"The light turned green and you didn't go, but I did and I rear-ended you - it's your fault"

No one wants to take responsibility for their actions! So what if you were going a little fast? That dosen't give anyone a pass to turn into you!

·
Registered
288 Posts
tmcguinn1, Sorry to hear about the accident and glad to hear everyone is doing well. I would say this is 100% the other person's fault and the insurance companies will probably agree, regardless of the outcome from the ticket. I would not admit to speeding especially since you are not even sure you were, it is your word against the other driver and most likely the police officer will back you up, just let your insurance company handle it and the other driver's insurance company will pay in full. It gets me really fired up :3: when people don't take responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
tmcguinn1,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it didn't happen over here across the river in New Jersey! A young lady ran a stop sign right in front of me a year ago (when I had my Accord). A witness told me and the cops that I didn't have any change of stopping or avoiding the accident.

But New Jersey law says that I was 10% at fault. The only way to not be at fault in New Jersey is to either be parked or stopped (legally) and have someone run into you, or to be hit directly in the rear. :3:

So I had to pay 10% of my deductible and 10% of my rental car bill. :mad:

But at least my insurance company doesn't have surcharges, so that's one good thing. :)

Mark B

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
foxhallow said:
My wife manages an Insurance claims office, and she tells me about excuses like this all the time -

"You were going too slow, so I hit you - it's your fault"

"You stopped for the road hazard, and I ran into you - it's your fault"

"The light turned green and you didn't go, but I did and I rear-ended you - it's your fault"

No one wants to take responsibility for their actions! So what if you were going a little fast? That dosen't give anyone a pass to turn into you!
I was in a wreck about 5 years ago where I was in the right lane and a guy going the same direction in the center lane decided to make a right turn at an intersection. He actually got out and said something like "sorry, my fault, I shouldn't have done that".

My next wreck was three years later - I was stopped at a stop sign (for about 5 seconds) waiting for traffic and a lady hit me doing about 35mph (it was at an intersection where people often only yeild and merge instead of stopping). She got out and said something like "I thought you were going...you shouldn't have stopped...blah, blah, blah".

Guess that means I'm about 50% with honest people.

tmcguinn1, do what PSUPilot suggested: don't imply or admit anything you don't know for fact. If you leave some doubt in the minds of the insurance companies, they might end up splitting the cost - you don't want even a partial claim on your file. If you were not at fault, then don't agree or act unsure about the implications of the other driver.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts