Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new one from my dealer the other day. My 2017 Pilot's AC stopped working. I took it in to get fixed as I thought it was uncommonly soon to have just such a problem. I was told from my dealership's service director that this has been coming up lately and they've started to call it the "Black Death". Essentially the motor in the compressor starts to breakdown and pollutes the entire AC system with black particles. So, much so that the entire system stops working. In my case America Honda is cover a large portion of the repair but I have no doubt that it will still be expensive. It is taking my dealership 4 days to do the work and this is after waiting several weeks for the parts. So, if I were you I'd have my AC system checked and try to get ahead of this particular problem. Also, it would not surprise me if there is a recall about it soon.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Wow, thanks for the information. Did they have any TSB guidance on this or no official documentation yet?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Thats great. Just what I need to worry with on an already problematic vehicle.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I know that some CRV's were known to have the "Black Death" compressor problems. Very expensive to repair because as noted, the crude gets through out the entire HVAC system. Not sure what years on the CRV's but this is the first I have heard of the concern on the Pilots. Hopefully just an odd ball occurrence and not a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not sure this is related but there is a TSB for the Civic. They extended the warranty View attachment 148671 View attachment 148671
That is for the condenser which is different than the compressor. The compressor is attached to the engine and is turned by the serpentine belt like the alternator.

The condenser is almost like a radiator and sits usually in front of the radiator. They can be punctured by rocks, nails, stones, road debris, etc. Some owners of certain makes have actually added "gutter guard" or similar mesh type material to the front grill openings to help prevent items from entering and puncturing the condenser.

If this owner did in fact have a puncture from an outside source, Honda had no reason to repair it under a warranty or TSB..

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
I know that some CRV's were known to have the "Black Death" compressor problems. Very expensive to repair because as noted, the crude gets through out the entire HVAC system. Not sure what years on the CRV's but this is the first I have heard of the concern on the Pilots. Hopefully just an odd ball occurrence and not a sign of things to come.
It's the 2nd generation CRV 2002-2005 that is plague with issues specially the AC compressor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I got a new one from my dealer the other day. My 2017 Pilot's AC stopped working. I took it in to get fixed as I thought it was uncommonly soon to have just such a problem. I was told from my dealership's service director that this has been coming up lately and they've started to call it the "Black Death". Essentially the motor in the compressor starts to breakdown and pollutes the entire AC system with black particles. So, much so that the entire system stops working. In my case America Honda is cover a large portion of the repair but I have no doubt that it will still be expensive. It is taking my dealership 4 days to do the work and this is after waiting several weeks for the parts. So, if I were you I'd have my AC system checked and try to get ahead of this particular problem. Also, it would not surprise me if there is a recall about it soon.
Oh man, this issue is exactly why I sold my Ford Escape. They cheaped out and skipped a filter screen somewhere on the AC on that one and when the plastic exploded it basically destroyed everything instead of being caught by the filter. I'm not looking forward to that issue in my Pilot, especially in Texas. Thanks for sharing though - I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your Pilot still under warranty? If not how did you get America Honda to cover some of the cost?
My 16 Pilot has 25000 miles. And A/C quit blowing cold air. Dealer says it has BlackDeath.$5500 to put whole new system in from firewall forward. Honda is a pos!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Wonder how the dealer knows it’s Black Death?.....did they open the system, inspect inside? 25K miles seems really low for compressor failure.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Is your Pilot still under warranty? If not how did you get America Honda to cover some of the cost?
My 16 Pilot has 25000 miles. And A/C quit blowing cold air. Dealer says it has BlackDeath.$5500 to put whole new system in from firewall forward. Honda is a pos!
Wow.....$5500 for about $500 in parts forward of the firewall. That’s some serious dealership cha-Ching. Wonder how much your dealer would charge to replace the $50 evaporator aft of the firewall? The part in your pic is about $13 and is included in a new compressor kit.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
When I did the full setup on the '04 CRV it involved new evaporator in dash (pilot might have one in rear also), replacing ALL the hard lines, expansion valve, condensor, compressor, all hoses.

Basically if you don't get all the little metal bits out, they get back to compressor and cause it to happen again. Honda does the full thing hoping to eliminate complaints. I did just compressor once, lasted a year, did condensor due to puncture, compressor went again. I did the full package from either ebay or RockAuto and cleaned all the hard lines with cleaner and a bore snake as I had more time than money for parts. A/C was working great when I drove it to be junked because of no more 3rd gear in tranny, at over 260k and wasn't sinking more into it.

I did add a "deslugger" because the issue as related on the CRV's was hydrolock on start up causing catastrophic compressor failures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Taking it to an A/C mechanic that will replace Compressor,dryer,condenser and related parts. Will not replace evap. He will flush system and I will see how long it will last. $1500.
Called Honda customer service and they said no dice on goodwill monetary help on fix.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
The Pilot might be different but when I read all the CRV places, basically the expansion valve would not let the evap get cleaned correctly and the setup on the condenser would clean one path and not the others which is why they just change it.

The downside for you might be that in 6 months you get to do it again. Check to see what he will cover for how long on labor and/or parts.

I can tell you that the labor to get to the compressor/evap on the CRV would have been a LOT more than the parts. Sweat equity for me for my kids. Or not sweating but layered with warm hat as I did the evap version in January in the driveway because of interior fogging without A/C working and him going back to college.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts