Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2020 pilot Touring. The center console features a rolling shutter door. I placed my drivers license on it. Somehow it moved to the rear and slid behind the rolling shutter. MAJOR disassembly required to open and retrieve. This applies to coins, credit cards, anything flat and smaller than the width of the console. (For those brave enough to try and disassemble.) I watched two guys at a dealer take 30+ minutes to disassemble. Basic steps. 1) lift rim around button shift straight up about 1”. 2) Pull rear cover containing vents and blue ray, seat heater controls etc. straight rearward about an inch. Make sure top three tabs are clear of top trim or next step impossible. 3) pull console top trim straight up. 4) remove rear console cover disconnecting all wires. Remember where harness(s) clip(s) connectors go. Remove floor mats for full access to bottom. 5) unscrew four screws from back and two on top holding shutter door guide. 6) using two hands unclip 6 tab clips holding air duct grill in place. 6) roll shutter up and look in ducts or underneath bottom for lost item. More major disassembly required if fallen forward into console. (((THIS IS A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW THAT EVERY OWNER SHOULD BE TOLD. MONEY, KEYS, CREDIT CARDS CAN EASY FALL INTO THIS “BOTTOMLESS INACCESSIBLE PIT”!!!))) Goodluck getting it open. Even more luck needed to put back together. Only saving grace is my dealer did not charge me for this recon mission. Wow!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I guess I should be thankful that my wife leaves the console open at all times so she can use it as a trash can...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
^^^^ In a way, that summarizes it quite well. Yes, it's a design flaw. Yes, credit cards and what not you put there are are going to be cast into the the Gorge of Eternal Peril. So just don't put any of that stuff there. It's pretty much the only solution now to avoid a world of pain.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
I leant that lesson many, many years ago when I was just a yonker. Riding along in the 62 Nash Rambler with my dad. He was going down town to the Ben Franklin 5 & Dime to get something and I tagged along to get some candy. I had a shiny dime in my pocket that I just had to spend. On the way there I took the dime out of my pocket, messed with it and then put it on the dash of the car. Dad came to a stop at a stop light and my dime slid along the top of that metal dash and right down into the defrost vent. Needless to say, I didn't get any candy that day.

From that day forward I never put anything on the dash of a car that was smaller than a Sacred Heart of Jesus statue.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Similarly one can lose a credit card in a different Honda...... CC fell between the driver seat and center console in my '05 CRV. The CC slid right under the metal seat attachment point into an abyss where I can see it but could not retrieve it. The CRV eventually took a "Dukes of Hazzard" leap thanks to my son and the CC went with it to CRV heaven. The '04 Pilot has a rolling console shutter that I'm sure some missing papers were taken but no CC yet :censored:

·
Administrator
15,419 Posts
Second gen had this feature as well.....

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
On the 2020 leaving the consol open leaves an led light on. It gets hot. I know. I left it open. Worried about the next design flaw...a fire.
Our second gen (2015) does NOT have a light. Very interesting.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
On the 2020 leaving the consol open leaves an led light on. It gets hot. I know. I left it open. Worried about the next design flaw...a fire.
On my 2019 Elite that center console bulb is incandescent and it does indeed get hot. I changed it out with a T5 wedge LED.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a new 2020 pilot Touring. The center console features a rolling shutter door. I placed my drivers license on it. Somehow it moved to the rear and slid behind the rolling shutter. MAJOR disassembly required to open and retrieve. This applies to coins, credit cards, anything flat and smaller than the width of the console. (For those brave enough to try and disassemble.) I watched two guys at a dealer take 30+ minutes to disassemble. Basic steps. 1) lift rim around button shift straight up about 1”. 2) Pull rear cover containing vents and blue ray, seat heater controls etc. straight rearward about an inch. Make sure top three tabs are clear of top trim or next step impossible. 3) pull console top trim straight up. 4) remove rear console cover disconnecting all wires. Remember where harness(s) clip(s) connectors go. Remove floor mats for full access to bottom. 5) unscrew four screws from back and two on top holding shutter door guide. 6) using two hands unclip 6 tab clips holding air duct grill in place. 6) roll shutter up and look in ducts or underneath bottom for lost item. More major disassembly required if fallen forward into console. (((THIS IS A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW THAT EVERY OWNER SHOULD BE TOLD. MONEY, KEYS, CREDIT CARDS CAN EASY FALL INTO THIS “BOTTOMLESS INACCESSIBLE PIT”!!!))) Goodluck getting it open. Even more luck needed to put back together. Only saving grace is my dealer did not charge me for this recon mission. Wow!
It goes into the hidden "shredder" feature! That happend to a credit card in my pilot, and I ended up asking the company for a new one.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Wanna save on exorbitant credit card interest fees? Lay you card down on your Honda console and go for a short drive. Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
2020 Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It goes into the hidden "shredder" feature! That happend to a credit card in my pilot, and I ended up asking the company for a new one.
To steal a line from the musical Hamilton, “Wouldn’t it be nice, wouldn’t it be nice”...if somebody told us earlier? (((Sigh)))

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don’t think the credit card should be there just like when kids put coins in the radio where the CD went supposed that was a design flaw to?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
I don’t think the credit card should be there just like when kids put coins in the radio where the CD went supposed that was a design flaw to?
Yes it was a design flaw. Kids should be born with at least a half a brain in their heads and should not do that kind of stupid stuff until the get into college. ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts