Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have not purchased our Pilot yet (waiting for 2004), but I thought I'd share the following experience with our current Honda.....

A little background:

We have a 97 CRV. I've always used Mobil 1, along with a Honda OEM filter. A few years ago, I discovered that Honda sold more than one filter for the CRV. I had been using the one made in the USA by Filtech (# ends with 305). But had trouble removing a filter once (no wrench would fit it) and learned in was the one made in Canada. A Honda tech showed me both filters side by side, pointing out the slight difference in size and great difference in weight. He also told me that they also had trouble finding a wrench that would fit the Canadian made filter and that Honda did not sell one to fit.

Another Honda tech told me he had seen a video of pressure testing filters. He told me the one produced in Canada blew up like a balloon and burst. The USA made Honda filter by Filtech ballooned up but never burst.

My dilemma came when Honda stopped shipping the filter made by Filtech. I checked everywhere, including the Net. So I went looking for a replacement.
I decided on the Mobil 1 filter, even though it is expensive.

My wife was noticing poor gas mileage for some time. I've been calculating the mileage for the past month, and noticed a considerable drop. Even with 100% expressway driving, the highest mileage we got was a little over 21 mpg. I was trying to think of possible causes (oxygen sensor, etc.).

This morning, I realized the CRV needed an oil change prior to making a 3 hour drive to my wife's grandfather's. I did not have a filter. The only place open early was KMart. They only had cheap Fram filters. But then I noticed a clearance on AC Delco filters, which happened to be in the CRV size. I remembered reading positive comments about the AC filter on one the oil filter studies on the Net, so I purchased and installed it, along with the usual Mobil 1 oil.

When I took the Mobil 1 filter off, I noticed it weighed less than filters usually do when I take them off. They are usually filled with oil (anti drain-back valve). The Mobil 1 filter was empty of oil. This worried me, because I've never experienced this with any brand filter (most of my experience is with VW and Honda filters).

Guess what....we got the best mileage ever today! The highest we've ever attained was 24 mpg. Today we got 26 mpg! (Up from the recent 21 mpg).

Maybe the Mobil 1 filter does a great job filtering, but I'm inferring that the Mobil 1 filter might actually inhibit proper oil flow (placing stress on the engine). This is the only change I've made and the results were immediate.

I know there are owners here that swear by the Mobil 1 filter. I just thought it was my responsibility to share my experience and observations.

You will never find another Mobil 1 filter on any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wonder if your oil was ever even filtered by the mobile 1 or if the oil bypassed the filter. How was your oil? Did it appear dirtier than normal?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I feel for your dilemma, and it sounds as if everything is ok, but....

I feel it is my responsibility to state that through my Pontiacs, Mazdas, Fords and Mitsubishi's and Honda's I've owned, that I have used Mobil-1 and Bosch and STP filters (all made by champion) and I have not suffer any failures.

You will very likely find one of those filters under my cars with complete confidence (although there are other good filters to use). Mobil-1 filters are good filters!

Ted

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony said:
I wonder if your oil was ever even filtered by the mobile 1 or if the oil bypassed the filter. How was your oil? Did it appear dirtier than normal?
I also hypothesize that the Mobil 1 filter might have a low filtering capacity. It might filter very small inclusions in the oil, but it might not be able to hold much dirt prior to clogging. Like I said, there was no oil in the filter when I removed it. When I shook it back and forth, something was moving inside (like a large portion of the inside).

I think that the bypass valve opened and never closed again, thus the movement inside the filter.

I guess you don't always get what you pay for.

Even though both the AC Delco and Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs., they are very different. I'll keep an eye on this AC Delco filter. I hope I continue to see the great improvement in mpg. Good filtering is positive thing, but not at the expense of too little flow :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
After my first oil change (5000 miles) on my 2003MDX, using Syntec and a Mobil 1 Over-sized filter, I noticed an immediate 2 MPG increase.

I'm a believer.:29:

·
Registered
121 Posts
JMT2003....what filter number are you using? I am also a big fan of M1 filters, and I'd like to try the oversized filter.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
JMT2003 said:
After my first oil change (5000 miles) on my 2003MDX, using Syntec and a Mobil 1 Over-sized filter, I noticed an immediate 2 MPG increase.

I'm a believer.:29:
Welcome JMT2003!

Over-sized filter? Advantage? Dis-Advantage? Is this a common thing? :8:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the 105 filter on my 2003 MDX.

Go to acuramdx.org for extensive threads on the topic.

On that site you can even see the filters taken apart.

Engines are the same.....

Before going that route, I consulted a surgeon friend of mine who races for a hobby.

His Take was that increase volume, filtration, and flow was a plus and that he definitely recommended it.
Must insure that thread and gaskets match.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does the Mobil 1 M1-105 filter fit easily? The M1-101 (I think that's the right number) is the "proper" filter, but the M1-105 is the "oversize" filter. Is there plenty of room to use the oversize filter?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Tony said:

I can't think of a scene that oil can bypass filter if you use the right size filter.
Your filter can't be blocking oil flow, otherwise engine should be long cooked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts