Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blades still work ok, but would like to replace / upgrade them. I was very satisfied with the OEM, but if there is something better, I'd prefer it.

Per the Bosch website Vehicle Part Finder | Bosch Auto Parts I'm seeing 26A and 22A.
The ICON seems to be more popular and rated higher, than the Clear Advantage. And they last longer and rated for Extreme All-Weather Performance.

Any other recommendations?
BTW, just a helpful tip. A couple months ago I got caught in a rain and when I turned on the blades the streaking was noticeably worse than normal and I was about to replace them immediately. When I got home I cleaned the windshield and blades and they improved significantly. Keep them clean!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have ICON's on one vehicle, and Clear advantage on another.

I cannot tell the difference. We get about 3 years out of a set of ICON's. Only had the CA's on for 6 months so far. But the CA's were on sale on Amazon for $5 each (yes that's right) so it was a no brainer. And under normal costs, CA's are half the price of ICON's, and replacing them takes less than 3 minutes.... so I'd much rather get a new set more frequently, as long as they perform identically when new.

On ours, I cannot tell the difference when new.

The key to long wiper life, is not to ever use them to "clean" your windshield. Use them to remove rain from it. My wife cleans her windshiled all the time, so I am constantly filling up the wiper solution, and replacing blades on hers. :oops: I have convinced her to reduce this activity, and we got 3 years from the last set of ICON's. Before that it was an annual exercise.

If you really want wipers to last, keep them out of the sun as much as possible, and clean your windshield, then treat it with rain-X. This does wonders and reduces the need for wiper activity as well. I do this on the Pilot every 6 months. It last an amazingly long time, and we use Rain-X washer solution as well. Ours is garaged most of the day and night.

·
Registered
144 Posts
On my current Hondas I buy the OEM blade inserts (the rubber) from eBay or Amazon. They are Mitsuba I believe and work well and the inserts are generally 4 or 5 bucks each. You keep using the stock metal wiper arm that came with the car

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have ICON's on one vehicle, and Clear advantage on another.

I cannot tell the difference. We get about 3 years out of a set of ICON's. Only had the CA's on for 6 months so far. But the CA's were on sale on Amazon for $5 each (yes that's right) so it was a no brainer. And under normal costs, CA's are half the price of ICON's, and replacing them takes less than 3 minutes.... so I'd much rather get a new set more frequently, as long as they perform identically when new.

On ours, I cannot tell the difference when new.

The key to long wiper life, is not to ever use them to "clean" your windshield. Use them to remove rain from it. My wife cleans her windshiled all the time, so I am constantly filling up the wiper solution, and replacing blades on hers. :oops: I have convinced her to reduce this activity, and we got 3 years from the last set of ICON's. Before that it was an annual exercise.

If you really want wipers to last, keep them out of the sun as much as possible, and clean your windshield, then treat it with rain-X. This does wonders and reduces the need for wiper activity as well. I do this on the Pilot every 6 months. It last an amazingly long time, and we use Rain-X washer solution as well. Ours is garaged most of the day and night.
I've used all of the top tier from each brand (Rain-X, Bosch, Trico, etc.) and have generally liked them all. I used the Michelin ones that are exclusive to Wal-Mart last year on the Pilot when I replaced all 3 vehicles and so far they have held up the best. I may give them another shot on all 3 vehicles again this year. I replace yearly out of habit.

Also, was a long-time Rain-X user. Tried Aquapel and will NEVER go back. The '08 Sonata has had Aquapel on since 2011, I have not reapplied since then and it still beads up in the rain. It hasn't been in a garage for at least 5 years and sits out in the sun all day.

I love Project Farm, watch most of his videos. I wasn't as thrilled with the wiper testing, I suppose we will see when he does the 1 year testing if anything really jumps out.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
73 Posts
On my current Hondas I buy the OEM blade inserts (the rubber) from eBay or Amazon. They are Mitsuba I believe and work well and the inserts are generally 4 or 5 bucks each. You keep using the stock metal wiper arm that came with the car
I learned this the hard way on my 2012 Honda CR-V, I would say no third party wiper ever gave that clean wipe on my windshield. I started changing only the wiper inserts on my 2015 Lexus IS 350 and will do that on my 2020 Honda Pilot BE. I think this is the way to go to keep that clean wipe on your windshield, plus a regular cleaning..

·
Registered
144 Posts
I learned this the hard way on my 2012 Honda CR-V, I would say no third party wiper ever gave that clean wipe on my windshield. I started changing only the wiper inserts on my 2015 Lexus IS 350 and will do that on my 2020 Honda Pilot BE. I think this is the way to go to keep that clean wipe on your windshield, plus a regular cleaning..
Yeah you have to think ahead and sometimes I would order a bunch at a time to get free shipping or whatever. Dealers sell them too but usually you can find cheaper on eBay or internet parts sites

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
I use Bosch Icon blades on my 2008. No streaking at all. They work well in all kinds of rain (light or heavy) and they even worked in the snow we had this past weekend. They do squeak a very tiny bit but they have on several other cars I have used them on so I think they are just a bit louder.

My 2008 is almost never garaged and sits in the sun a lot. They have lasted so far and I do clean them semi regularly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Use Rain-X all the time, however, with their washer fluid, I noticed that I don’t get a good sweep without some streaking. Now I just use the spray-on and treat the windshield whenever I need to, and use regular washer fluid. Who knows!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts