Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any one method I should follow to properly disconnect a car battery? Preferably without getting shocked :rolleyes: It will be my first time performing this procedure.

Oh yeah, and what about installing a new one? Just follow the same steps?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Shocked is not the problem.
12V will not shock you, but it can make quite a spark

1) shut off everything you can in the car
2) ALWAYS disconnect the Negative line first.
3) Move the negative wire toa position where it can not touch the battery terminal while working on the Positive connection.

4) Always reconnect thge Negative line last.

Note, if you are disconnecting the battery to do other electrical work on the car you only need to disconnect one terminal.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Yes

Yes, per the instructions.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
In addition to PCM idle...

You will also need to
1) re-train the "auto up" feature on the driver's window
2) enter the security code for the radio.

Make sure you have the security code for the radio before you disconnect the battery or you will be with a stereo until you get the code.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: In addition to PCM idle...

tim.s said:
You will also need to
1) re-train the "auto up" feature on the driver's window
2) enter the security code for the radio.

Make sure you have the security code for the radio before you disconnect the battery or you will be with a stereo until you get the code.

There's a security code for the radio? Does the code come with final paperwork somewhere - maybe the manual? Gees - I didn't know this! Do we call the dealer & get the code? Any other codes we should have on hand? :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Hmmmm?

I think it is in the PDI to give the code to the owner.

And you know that no dealer would miss a PDI instruction!
:2: :2: :2:

It comes on a card with the radio SN, and an extra sticker you can attach somewhere in the car.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: In addition to PCM idle...

Sage said:
There's a security code for the radio? Does the code come with final paperwork somewhere - maybe the manual? Gees - I didn't know this! Do we call the dealer & get the code? Any other codes we should have on hand? :confused:
There should be a small plastic card with the code on it in the glove compartment box. I believe it also has the radio serial number on it, but don't quote me on that. If you don't have such card, call up your dealer and ask about it right away. It should not be missing at all in that box.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ummm....this would be on my Grandma's '87 Buick :D

I ain't touching my Pilot......yet.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: In addition to PCM idle...

tim.s said:
...Make sure you have the security code for the radio before you disconnect the battery or you will be with a stereo until you get the code.
When you took delivery of your EX, your dealer should have given you a code card for the radio. The radio serial number is supposed to be on the side of the glove box too, but it is the 5 digit code which unlocks the anti-theft radio, see pg 189 (I don't think an LX has an anti-theft radio).

If you don't have it, call your dealer and have them look it up in the records for your VIN. Only your dealer will have the info, but if they don't even have it in their records, I think they can get the code from Honda using the radio serial number.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Found the card & the code!
Thanks for the "heads-up" here. :1pat:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts