Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched a lot and it seems the only option I can find for CarPlay is adding a NavTool device -- but I've seen very mixed reviews. People saying it works inconsistently, complaints about using the knob to control it, etc. I don't have in-car entertainment or nav currently, just a single backup camera and the standard radio setup. I use the bluetooth for my phone now and, while it plays audio, it doesn't properly show song info on the screen. Having apps on-screen would also be nice.

Are there any options for replacing the stock radio with a double-DIN replacement radio that includes Carplay -- or some other plug-in CarPlay solution that gets better reviews than NavTool?

Looking for options. I love my 2015, but I don't love it's bluetooth integration with iOS.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
you missed it by 1 year 2016 is when they started to add carplay... without ripping out your system ...not much options .... you love your 2015 ? i cant get rid of mine fast enough ... the Gen 1 has more balls than these Gen 2's will ever will.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I like it well enough and I have like an 8 year warranty on it, only about 50K miles. Planning on keeping it for a long time.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Look up Navtool.
They seem to offer some sort of set up that allows you to have CarPlay in older Pilots. I know nothing about the quality or ease of install but hopefully you find that helpful. I hate the look of aftermarket radios and especially with that generation Pilot it would look terrible installing some sort of aftermarket system. Navtool seems to use the screen that's already there.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Easiest is likely NavTool. Best? Dunno.

This is my solution

Can't really remove factory audio cause climate display is part of it. So I put new head in place of the main display.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easiest is likely NavTool. Best? Dunno.

This is my solution

Can't really remove factory audio cause climate display is part of it. So I put new head in place of the main display.
Man - this is awesome. Thanks!

Question, because I literally can't find a video of it anywhere: To remove the factory radio, is it as easy as popping the trim on the left and right sides? I see you removed the trim above the glovebox too -- was that also necessary?

·
Registered
749 Posts
The trim left and right of the audio unit is easy - only catch is you need to move shift lever into horizontal. For that, you need to take out tiny plastic plug under lever and then use screwdriver to depress a latch underneath and unlock the lever. Make sure your parking brakes are engaged and you got wheel chocks.
Once side trims are off, it is just a few screws to take out the audio/climate/storage pocket stack.

I needed to disassemble above glovebox cause I needed to run some wires in there. It is all clips there, comes out pretty easy.

Mind, in my case I had to fabricate a new faceplate because of the system I was putting in - it would look horrid otherwise. You can consider a "floating screen" system like Sony XAV-AX8000
https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax8000.

Pioneer has modular heads like

You would still need to glue in some structural supports for it, but the oversize screen should cover things up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugly, Ugly, Ugly, and did I mention Ugly?
2016+ Pilot is a minivan, not an SUV. I loathe it.
I plan to take good care of my '2013 and when it is time to replace, it will not be a Pilot.
Agreed. If I wanted a van I'd buy an Odyssey.

Thanks for the heads up on the floating screen. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go Navtool, and see how it goes. The non-touch interface seems annoying, but I'll see what I think once I get it in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ugly, Ugly, Ugly, and did I mention Ugly?
2016+ Pilot is a minivan, not an SUV. I loathe it.
I plan to take good care of my '2013 and when it is time to replace, it will not be a Pilot.
Same here! When it’s time to upgrade our 2013 EXL 2WD, I hope to find a 2015 model!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Same here! When it’s time to upgrade our 2013 EXL 2WD, I hope to find a 2015 model!
This was the reason WHY i went to the 2015 ..I also do not want the Mini van look ... :)

Reactions: Alc50

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed. If I wanted a van I'd buy an Odyssey.

Thanks for the heads up on the floating screen. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go Navtool, and see how it goes. The non-touch interface seems annoying, but I'll see what I think once I get it in.
I was wondering if you got the Navtool and what your thoughts are after the purchase, install, and use?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts