Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you piloteers believes provide the most detailed/important reports on a vehicle history ?

CarFax.com ?
VinAudit.com ?
Other ? *

*please list.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I usually Google the Vin first. If the car was sold at salvage auction it will show up in a Google search. Some of these places will buy them at auction and rebuild/resell quick. I have seen them one month from auction to for sale. Then I use Carfax. I have seen other reports when looking at cars for sale but they were bought by someone else. Don't know if Carfax is better or worse but that is what I have always used.

There is a lot of free information out there but I like the service history stuff you get on a purchased report. If you buy a report don't tell the seller until you make sure that they are being straight with you. I don't know how many times I have asked a seller - Any accidents? No. Well, the CarFax show 3 accidents. Oh yea, I forgot about those because they were minor... Stuff like that makes me walk away in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Carfax.
I use Vehicle History to start, but it does look like their not giving as much info as they used to. I want to at least know how many owners, if in an accident, if it has been at auction and if the milage has been fiddled with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Carfax doesn’t show that my 2014 Chevy Silverado got $27,000 in repairs including a full frame replacement in 2016. (I’ve owned it since new). Therefore, I trust no vehicle history reports.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Carfax doesn’t show that my 2014 Chevy Silverado got $27,000 in repairs including a full frame replacement in 2016. (I’ve owned it since new). Therefore, I trust no vehicle history reports.
Who did the work? Was the cause an accident. If so was it reported?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
When I sold my previous car to Carmax a few months ago, they asked me lots of questions, like was it in an accident. I answered honestly that it was, because some guy hit me last summer and dented the bumper, fender, a door, and broke a headlight and grill. Damn near totalled it since it was a 10 year old Subaru with 200k miles. But my insurance wanted to fix it, so they towed it to a body shop and repaired it for $4.5k. Seems like something like that would show up on a history check, but Carmax ran a Carfax report on it and said it was clean, with no accidents or service events showing up during the 7 years I owned it (because I did all my own maintenance work). So after that, I don't trust a Carfax report much at all if a major accident involving police reports, insurance companies, and a body shop wouldn't show up a year later.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
That's not the fault of CarFax, but the fault of the entities that deal with vehicles and the incidents. If they don't report then CarFax doesn't get the information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts