Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have finally solved my latest headache on my Pilot '05 (replaced thermostat and engine coolant temp sensor due to P0128 code), I'm thinking of replacing my TB. Mileage is only at 140k but TB replacement schedule calls for replacement at 7 years or 105k miles. I had it replaced at the dealership in 2011 at 97k miles. Seems like the oem replacements (aisin?) are lighter and some complaints of bolts breaking early? Anyone with this experience? Any suggestion/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Oh, bte, below are some comments on this aisin TB kit Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump
Kit seems like it is decent quality. The water pump and hydraulic tensioner are lesser quality than the parts that came from the factory. The factory water pump has a machined boss for the tensioner pully mount, so that it is true to the timing belt. The pump in this kit has a cast boss that has not been machined. Seems to work at least initially. The hydraulic tensioner weighs about 1/2 of the factory one, indicating it is made of thinner materials.

10k later I heard the idler making noises. Upon inspection, I found out that the bolt from the idler pulley broke! I know I torque every nut and bolt to specs. Further research, I found out that its very common for the bolt to break and Honda reccomend that the bolt is to be replaced when replacing the idler pulley. They said that their master kits come with the newly desgined bolt. Now I'm 1k short because honda have to drop the motor to remove the broken bolt.

Great kit, with one exception. It does not include the sleeve for the tensioner. You need to reuse your old one. I wish the instructions had been clearer about this because I ended up having to reinstall the belt several times before I finally figured it out (went back to look at the old part and the sleeve fell out). I would mostly consider this user error, but still thought I'd share it so that the next DIY-er doesn't suffer the same frustration.

He used a Gates kit, which saves about $60, but I prefer the fully OEM Aisin kit here as the Gates kit has a reported 11% water pump failure rate (!!!!) which is a huge number considering how hard it is to get to. Also, the Aisin pump has the oring retention tabs I mention in the video which is a huge convenience / peace of mind thing.

After reading a specific person's review yesterday and having already done 3 timing belt jobs on my 07 Accord V6, I'd like to input that the weight about the tensioner pulley + it's metal mount is not entirely true. I have a used OEM and an Aisin tensioner metal mount, with the pulley/bearing removed, both used for 100k miles, both weigh in at 8.2oz IDENTICALLY. I have steered away from Aisin kit because the tensioner pulley got noisy over time, even though it is the same Koyo pulley. I believe the problem is in the water pump not having a flattened and shaved boss to mount the tensioner pulley, causing it to mis-align with the timing belt slightly. There was a "warbling" sound while on the Aisin kit, after switching back to the OEM kit recently at 305000 miles, that noise is gone. The Aisin water pump's blade also isn't mounted flush to the driveshaft like the OEM's for some reason (picture included). The Mitsuboshi timing belt held up just fine, the idler pulley actually has the same exact Koyo pulley as the tensioner's, just with different mount pressed on in the center. The Aisin hydraulic tensioner didn't leak either after 4 years and 100k miles of usage.

Overall, you can use this kit, but stick with OEM Yamada water pump. Aisin WAS the OEM supplier of J-series water pump but it is not anymore. The switch might have happened between 2005 and 2006. You will find Aisin water pump on 2003 to 2005 Honda Accord V6, but Yamada water pump on 2006 and 2007 Honda Accord V6.

This is not a true aisan timing belt kit, this is not of the same quality, will be returning

Installed in March 2017. Tensioner went bad within 6 months of install - belt slipped bending most of my valves. It looks like this belt is costing me well over a $1,000 - very disappointing to say the least.

Not sure about this kit. I purchased this one based on reviews here but I just had a tensioner pulley fail. I am hoping someone with more experience can chime in about any similar outcome.

I installed the kit on my 2007 Accord V6. Started right up and ran great in the garage for ten minutes. I took the car down the road and within two miles it began running poor then died. After disassembly I found the tensioner pulley to be in pieces - completely blown apart. The belt did not fail but was slipped off the tensioner and wore through the timing belt cover. It looks like the pulley seized and caused a lot of damage.

I have put in a warranty claim with Amazon and I will continue to try to find out if there is any coverage beyond the kit for the additional damage this caused. I was able to set the cams to "home" and turn the crank without any binding. I still need to pressure test the cylinders.

This is my third timing belt install on the Honda V6. The other two times were with the Gates kit. I've put almost 100,000 miles on those kits. I'm a little more than frustrated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I put an Aisin kit in mine recently, 200K miles. The last owner must have put a kit in at the shop at 100K because all parts replaced looked Aisin except for the water pump and the honda belt, or they didn't put a new water pump and used a honda belt. The honda pump looked like the Aisin, exactly, except it said Aisin not Honda. The Aisin kit quality on all parts looked pretty darn good to me. The replaced pump is attached. It had a cast boss that wasn't planed by a machine.

PilotPump.JPG

·
Registered
135 Posts
So on yours the bolt broke, or the cast boss broke?

Edit: I see it was the idler bolt that broke. Usually the only way the tensioner pulley can cock over is if the installer didn't use the mount sleeve that is to slip over the cast boss. It's the sleeve that provides the "on axis" mounting feature and supports the side load. Without the sleeve, the tensioner assembly is free to go "off axis" and allow the belt to slip off. The hydraulic tensioner can mislead if the sleeve is left out because there's such a stiff load on the belt at the pulley everything can seem proper until it is driven as speed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks! After calling around, I decided to have it done at the dealership who changed it in 2011. I found out that labor will cost me $900. Dealer charged me $1,200 then and still quoted same price at present. Wife suggested to have it done next summer since we already spent a lot on repairs and maintenance this year. She also asked me to calm down and enjoy the pleasant autumn weather for now--"stop worrying about the Pilot for now". Lol!

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
232 Posts
I just had my 2nd TB & water pump done at local shop 213k 2005 Pilot Ex- they used an Import Direct kit & seemed to have done a good job but I’m a little concerned with the quality of that manufacturer? I’m new here so not familiar with latest consensus. Listen to Wife & Enjoy your Autumn!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Stay away from the Chinese Gates WP's at all costs. I had to replace mine at the 40K mile mark since it started making a grinding noise at start up. I replaced it with an Aisin WP and all is well.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hopefully the wife of yours does not get bitten by the off road bug that happened to the boss at our house ..she drove my buddies pilot over lander and she's been hooked ever since … As for the water pump when I purchased the kit for the 06 the pump was an Yamada brand pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts