Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it be great to have a thread where we can document belt quality after use.
Unimpressed with this Gates MicroV made in Mexico after 71k miles of use. It's about 2 1/2 years old. I've had belts that still look new after 100k.

Photo of your used belt plus miles would be great.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Included with both of the timing belt jobs performed by the dealer on my Pilot, the replacement accessory drive belts they installed were made by Mitsuboshi.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Bando belts. I like them better than Gates.
I've got some vehicles with Bando. No complaints, yet. I won't be buying this Gates again.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Included with both of the timing belt jobs performed by the dealer on my Pilot, the replacement accessory drive belts they installed were made by Mitsuboshi.
I know I've never installed any other timing belt in a Honda that wasn't Mitsuboshi. 👍

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honda belts by far last the longest and stretch the least.
No doubt, that is a high quality belt. One of the best if not the best.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
At least if your serpentine belt breaks it won't have the dire engine consequences of if your timing belt breaks, although I'd hate to have power steering go out in the middle of a high speed curve.

Come to think of it, we've read about a few incidences on this forum of timing belts failing, but I don't remember anyone mentioning a serpentine belt failing. Has it happened to anyone?

For two good reasons, I've abandoned keeping a spare set of women's nylons in my glove compartment to replace a broken fan belt.

1. It doesn't work anymore on modern cars.
  2. It just takes too long to explain to the wife.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At least if your serpentine belt breaks it won't have the dire engine consequences of if your timing belt breaks,
I have a family member who had their serpentine belt break on an Accord. It got wound up behind the crankshaft pulley and caused the timing belt to break. $4,000 💸 🙁
So, we might not want to go to cheap on our serp belt.

Reactions: tinylo and plplplpl

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
Come to think of it, we've read about a few incidences on this forum of timing belts failing, but I don't remember anyone mentioning a serpentine belt failing. Has it happened to anyone?
I also can’t recall seeing any posts on this forum where the serpentine belt snapped. Perhaps because the failure is fairly obvious and normally not catastrophic (unless you have lousy luck like Nail Grease’s family member).

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At what time/mileage did that occur?
This happened a while back on an early 2000 to mid Accord. I'll try to get more details.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a word of caution on this subject. If you ever perform work on your engine, that requires the belt to be removed, be sure it's reinstalled turning the same direction as it was originally.
It's my phobia. Probably not written anywhere.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Just a word of caution on this subject.
If you ever perform work on your engine, that requires the belt to be removed, be sure it's reinstalled turning the same direction as it was originally.
It's my phobia. Probably not written anywhere.
Or, if you ever perform work on your engine that requires the belt to be removed, reusing the old drive belt might not be the best place to economize.
Instead, use some of the money you're saving from the DIY repairs and spend ~$30 for a new Mitsuboshi belt.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
To summarize so far for those of you just tuning in, the Honda OEM serpentine belt (aka accessory belt) is a Mistuboshi.

Bando can be good, too. Gates, not so much.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to test a Continental.

Reactions: PHM and plplplpl
1 - 20 of 93 Posts