Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, besides being a much larger vehicle than our Accord, and having more surface area to wash and wax, I just realized this weekend exactly how much glass there is on this vehicle!

Last weekend, we used Windex Surface w/ vinegar, and paper toweling to clean the windows. The results were OK, but we did have some streaking on the windows. I didn't have time to get around to trying again until this weekend. We washed the Pilot last Thursday, and had some pretty bad water spotting.

Well, we used the same Windex, and the same paper toweling this weekend, and really had horrible results. What appeared to be water spotting, seemed really tough to clean from the windows (we used Meguiar's wash and an absorber to dry, but it was getting dark out, so they didn't dry right). In fact, on the driver's rear side, I thought I noticed metallic paint overspray on the window. I was working it really hard with my finger, and it seemed to start to come off. Anyone have a clue if they paint the Pilot exterior before or after installing the windows? My initial thought would be before, and that causes me some concern.

After many cleanings and :3: I finally got the windows clean enough for a good coat of RainX, which I applied yesterday, to all of the windows, light covers and mirrors. We were traveling, so by the time we got home, there were lots of bugs to be cleaned off the windshield. I used some industrial "Windex" foam w/ ammonia, and sprayed it on. It easily removed the bugs, and as I wiped, it seemed to dry nicely without any streaking.

I was pretty happy, or so I thought. As I was dropping the Pilot off at the dealer (getting two small dings from transport removed via paintless dent removal), there were streaks everywhere! Now I was really :3:. I've never had this many problems trying to get glass clean! So on the way home, I stopped at WalMart to get some new cleaner. I have some Prevail foam at home, and I also picked up Gunk foam w/o ammonia, and offical Windex foam w/ ammonia. I also noticed Armor All glass cleaner, but didn't get any of that. I am looking for some of the RainX window cleaner, and I have some of the anti-fog wipes at home, but haven't tried them. I think I also have some vinegar/water mixture according to the Accord manual. I also bought some of those blue "shop" towels from WalMart to try instead of regular paper toweling.

OK, so what is my problem? Is the most recent streaking caused by the prior application of RainX? Does the RainX window cleaner work in conjunction with the RainX treatment, or is it just a separate glass cleaner? Is there something better than papertowling I should be using? I know some people say use newspaper, but that seems pretty messy and hard to work with. I was using Bounty w/ some kind of design on it. I also picked up some plain white Bounty!

Looking for suggestions of what to use to get a nice streak-free shine before I go insane! :13:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Newspaper does work

and yes it is messy.
I am not sure it actually gets the glass gleaner or just looks better, but that is all I ever saw people usingh when I was trying to concour a car. (Operative word is "trying")

·
Registered
465 Posts
IMO, Windex is a horrible window cleaner - house or car. It streaks really bad. Here's what I have found cleans windows really well, and will keep the film off for a long time.

Just get a bucket of water and put a little Joy detergent in it. Wash one window at a time, using a washcloth. Then rinse with another washcloth and dry with another one. Paper towels don't work well with windows.

·
Registered
154 Posts
another trick is to use old news papers you will get better results then from paper towels. I know it sounds wrong, but give it a try

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try Stoner's Invisible Glass or Eagle 1 Glass Cleaner with a microfiber towel or newspaper.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
catbert said:
IMO, Windex is a horrible window cleaner - house or car. It streaks really bad. Here's what I have found cleans windows really well, and will keep the film off for a long time.

Just get a bucket of water and put a little Joy detergent in it. Wash one window at a time, using a washcloth. Then rinse with another washcloth and dry with another one. Paper towels don't work well with windows.
I've used this method as well. Just be sure your car rags don't have any fabric softner in them. That creates more streaks!! Using a small squeegee (SP?) also helps a great deal. I even use a sqeegee on the hood and roof after a wash.

I had put Rain X on my windshield and rear window. I've never had so much trouble with streaks! I've used Rain X for years, and never had this problem before. There must have been something on the glass prior to the Rain-X. :8:

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you want to save yourself the aggravation:

1. Eagle 20/20 cleaner. No Windex, ammonia
eats rubber.
2. You need at leat 1 Microfiber towel. If
you have only 1, you can use Shop Towels (bluish,
sold in Sears e.t.c.) as you paper towel to apply,
and the MF to dry. If you have 2 -- use the first
one to apply. Forget the newspapers -- this is
the 21th century, and MF works like magic (even
the TurtleWax ones from Autozone)
3. After it's clean -- on the side windows,
exterior, I use Klasse AOI. Looks fantastic, and
works like a good synthetic wax is supposed to.
On the front one, I was PLANING to have RainX,
although I've had bad experience with it in the
past. I think the problem with the RainX is that
you have to follow the instructions exactly, i.e.
apply, let cure, e.t.c.

MF Towels is the key though.

4. On the interior I use nothing. If somebody
has favorites for the job, I am all ears.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Newspaper does work

N_Jay said:
and yes it is messy.
I am not sure it actually gets the glass gleaner or just looks better, but that is all I ever saw people usingh when I was trying to concour a car. (Operative word is "trying")
OK, so this may be a ridiculously obvious answer to this question, but I have some printless newspaper from U-Haul - the kind of stuff used to wrap valuables so they don't break. Seems like the same consistency of newspaper, but without the print.

Any thoughts on if this will work as well as regular newspaper, without geting the newspaper ink all over everything?

:8:

·
Registered
290 Posts
While I wouldn't place a big bet on it, I think the reason that newspaper works is because of the ink. Crap sticks to the ink on the newspaper. I don't believe that it is the actual paper that is doing the cleaning.

I have always thought this to be a weird and mostly ineffective way to clean glass because of the mess it makes, but indeed, it does work. I am still much happier with just using some soapy water, a squeegee (the kind with a mesh covered foam applicatior on one side and flat rubber blade on the other), and some cotton/shop towels. I've never had a problem getting clean windoes, even on the Pilot.

I don't use RainX.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I think it is the ink

I think the black ink acts a lubricant to help keep whatever is streaking from readhearing to the glass.

OR

It just collors the streaks black and your eyes do the rest.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Newspaper does work

SoapPlant said:

OK, so this may be a ridiculously obvious answer to this question, but I have some printless newspaper from U-Haul - the kind of stuff used to wrap valuables so they don't break. Seems like the same consistency of newspaper, but without the print.

Any thoughts on if this will work as well as regular newspaper, without geting the newspaper ink all over everything?

:8:
OK, apparently not so stupid of a question afterall! :12:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Glass Plus wipes in the canister do the best job on glass or any other surface that you would usually use glass or a surface cleaner.

I have had horrible experience as well with Windex, but found these and they work great. No mess, easy to use, no special towels, no newspaper, no lint left behind and the best part is they can be found in the grocery store. No special trip to an auto store.

They are great!!:D :D :D

·
Registered
919 Posts
OK, this won't be popular with the newspaper users, but you should NEVER use newspaper on glass. Newspaper is still a fiberous material with hard edges and will put fine scratches in the glass eventually. I've used many different methods to clean glass and here is what has worked the best for me:

1. Wash them - Just like when you was the rest of the paint, simply include the windows as another body panel. Strangely enough, many people don't wash their windows and just come back afterwards with glass cleaner. The windows need to be washed just like the paint.
2. Dry them - Again, same as the paint. you don't want to let the windows air dry. That's the best way to get spots. If you can wash in the shade, it really helps as water tends to dry quickly from hot glass. This is often the last step for me. If you wash and dry the windows properly, you usually don't need any type of glass cleaner.
3. If needed use a good automotive glass cleaner. The Eagle 20/20 is all I use because I have found it to work the best (it's not expensive and widely available to boot.) You should apply with a soft cotton cloth. Never use paper towels and never use newspaper.
4. Dry - Again with another soft cotton cloth.

You also mention the use of Rain-X. Myself and many others find that it is very easy to put too much of this product on. This usually results in streaking. The best way to remove the steaks is to give the glass a good washing and drying. This usually results in a crystal clear finish. If you do have any remaining streaks, just use a cotton cloth with plain water to buff the streaks out.

Another tip is to make sure that when you wipe the inside of the windows in a different direction than you do the outside (i.e. - wipe the outside of the windows horizontally and the inside vertically). This will help you to easily identify what side of the window a streak is on.

Chris

·
Registered
797 Posts
Cinch (orange spray bottle) and newspaper works best! Although I have been using paper towels for convenience and had great results anyway.

·
Registered
262 Posts
xyzzy said:

Another tip is to make sure that when you wipe the inside of the windows in a different direction than you do the outside (i.e. - wipe the outside of the windows horizontally and the inside vertically). This will help you to easily identify what side of the window a streak is on.

Chris
This is COOL. Thanks for the tip.

Other then that -- :32:

Crhis -- do try microfiber. long term terry cloth
fan, I am a believer now. no lint, nada!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yeah, I've been thinking about going the microfiber route lately. Many of the Autopians swear by them. Do you have a local source for them, or do you get them online?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
xyzzy said:
Yeah, I've been thinking about going the microfiber route lately. Many of the Autopians swear by them. Do you have a local source for them, or do you get them online?
I've done both: I have one from a kit sold at
Sam's club -- did not like that one.
I have a set sold at Autozone by TurtleWax
(2 for 10 bucks or so, yellow and blue) --
worked great! I Klasse'd the whole Pilot with one,
including the wheels.
I have 2 on order from Classic -- will let you
know how those are: they are supposed to be
better the the TurtleWax, but I find it hard
to imagine!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xyzzy said:
OK, this won't be popular with the newspaper users, but you should NEVER use newspaper on glass. Newspaper is still a fiberous material with hard edges and will put fine scratches in the glass eventually. I've used many different methods to clean glass and here is what has worked the best for me:

1. Wash them - Just like when you was the rest of the paint, simply include the windows as another body panel. Strangely enough, many people don't wash their windows and just come back afterwards with glass cleaner. The windows need to be washed just like the paint.
2. Dry them - Again, same as the paint. you don't want to let the windows air dry. That's the best way to get spots. If you can wash in the shade, it really helps as water tends to dry quickly from hot glass. This is often the last step for me. If you wash and dry the windows properly, you usually don't need any type of glass cleaner.
3. If needed use a good automotive glass cleaner. The Eagle 20/20 is all I use because I have found it to work the best (it's not expensive and widely available to boot.) You should apply with a soft cotton cloth. Never use paper towels and never use newspaper.
4. Dry - Again with another soft cotton cloth.

You also mention the use of Rain-X. Myself and many others find that it is very easy to put too much of this product on. This usually results in streaking. The best way to remove the steaks is to give the glass a good washing and drying. This usually results in a crystal clear finish. If you do have any remaining streaks, just use a cotton cloth with plain water to buff the streaks out.

Chris
Thanks for the advice. I normally use the wash and dry advice, and that's what I did in this case. Actually it was around 8:00pm when I was drying, and it got really dark out. I use an Absorber for drying the Pilot and windows, but in this case, I was pressed for time and since it was dark, I couldn't tell if they were dry or not. I also forgot to mention in the original post that I have been doing the cleaning around sundown, and not on "hot" glass.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts