Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to create MORE space in my garage, I seek your ideas and guidance on how to create more useable wall and floor space. I am tired of tripping over stuff and re-moving it. What practices and technology are you using to hang your otudoor tools, yard stuff, bicycles, etc. Also, what is the best way to find studs and ceiling joints. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Nice setup

I like your setup for your tools!! Your friends garage is very modern looking.. Love it!

rob

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Nice setup

gopilot said:
I like your setup for your tools!! Your friends garage is very modern looking.. Love it!

rob
Thanks for the compliments, gopilot!

The one thing I left out is that another way I was able to unclutter my garage: the wife nagged me to throw away all the stuff that was broken or hasn't been touched in 2 years...!!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Larger cabinet on top

I put a larger cabinet on top of the storage cabinet in front of the vehicles. This enlarged the cabinet space and allowed me to store large items (shop vac, etc...) in the garage.
I don't have a picture, but here's a schematic so you can get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed hooks from the ceiling to hold two of our bikes (wife and mine - seldom used). But the best thing I did was to purchase a storage building. This enabled us to remove the lawn equipment and kids bikes (used often) from the garage.
Cabinets and some sort of work station is in the not so distant future.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW! Thanks guys, how could I not go wrong? Does anyone know about the products at The Container Store ? They are currently having a 30% off sale. There are no retail outlets around where I live. :) I will be using a combination of what you guys shared.

I want to paint the 24'x24' floor with a battleship gray epoxy paint. has anyone ever done this? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
CarolinaPilot said:
...Does anyone know about the products at The Container Store ? They are currently having a 30% off sale...
The "Elfa" on sale at the Container Store is probably over priced for a garage. The shelving will have a laminate finish, probably not to durable for garage use. The shelf uprights are designed to hang from a single tack strip at the ceiling, may not be suited for heavy loading.

You can get uprights and shelf brackets that look the same, but mount straight on the wall studs, at Home Depot or Lowes. They even sell unfinished MDP shelves in 10-12 foot lengths, sized to fit the shelf brackets and with a curved front edge.

But if you want enclosed storage (for security or to hide your mess), you may want to go with cabinets like the ones in the previous posts. I've pulled down most of my open shelving and replaced it with cabinets for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Painted Garage Floor

CarolinaPilot - Painted garage floor at previous house a medium gray two part epoxy from Sears. Looked great. However, radial tires tended to lift the paint in areas where the tires usually came to rest. I discussed this issue with Sears and their position was that the floor probably wasn't prepared as well as it should have been. That was not the problem as it was old cured concrete that was cleaned very good several times and then etched before the paint was applied following their application directions. Decided to just live with the problem (there are not many options once its down) and touched up the spots about once a year or so. A word of caution as once painted, the floor is very smooth and becomes slick easily. There are products that can be amended into the paint which provide an anti-skid surface but I wanted to be able to "dust" the floor free of debris (especially long dog hair). If I were to consider doing it at our current residence I would look at using a more industrial type coating like is used in aircraft hangars.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
We did half our garage w/build-yourself cabinets from Home Depot. Mills-Pride brand. They're white laminated MDF or somesuch. Pretty sturdy and look good (clean). About $600 and a bargain for what they do. Took a day to build and mount (including baseboards to adjust for the grade in the garage).

That still leaves 1/2 the garage a disaster area (unfortunately, it's too narrow to do a wraparound w/the cabinets).

I just ordered a couple of ceiling storage units from Amazon (search for Hyloft). Didn't find 'em cheaper anywhere else and they're eligible for free shipping. Here's the manufacturer's site (they won't let me d/l or link a pic): http://www.hyloft.com/pages/hyloft.html

I can snap a couple of pics of the cabinets if you'd like, but will need some extra time to crop out the "other half" of the garage, tho it would make a good before+after pic :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually...

The ELFA stuff is excellent. I would not recommend laminate for a garage, but the 'ventilated shelf" is extremely useful. http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=13368&PRODID=65645&FEEDCNT=3

The spacing of the wires themselves is very narrow, and manufactured with great uniformity. This makes it very easy to store all but the smallest items. Further, the brackets are VERY stout and lock the shelf in place. Excellent.

The hanger strip can be screwed into framing members behind the drywall OR mounted with hollow wall anchors. It is NOT a 'tack strip'. It is HEAVY solid STEEL. In fact, most manufacturers of KITCHEN CABINETS use a similar style system to secure upper cabinets, and they can safely hold HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS of pounds. As the design of the uprights transfer any horizontal load to the wall, the carrying capacity is quite high. If you desire an even more secure mount, but are willing to give up the flexibility of reconfiguring your system, the uprights are drilled to accept attaches to the wall/studs.

The price is very competitive, especially when you factor in the heavy gauge of the metal, the excellent finish coat, and the obvious attention to detail. You cannot compare the ELFA stuff to similar looking stuff at hardware stores/home centers. The heft alone is night vs day...

I do not recommend any kind of laminate wood/MDF cabinet for garages. Even in dry climates, the cabinets tend to get beat up. I've seen shelfs/tops sag after a few years even in Phoenix, the temperature variations in garages are MUCH wider than inside a home, and over time that really stresses the loaded shelves.

If you want "enclosed cabinets" and shelves and a extremely well designed system, check this out:http://www.garagetek.com/homeowners/showroom/catalog.asp
It is not cheap. They have a continuous channelized PVC wall-board that gives extreme versatility. The lightweight shelves are ALL PVC, the heavy duty shelves and cabinets incorporate STEEL reinforcements...

tim.s said:
The "Elfa" on sale at the Container Store is probably over priced for a garage. The shelving will have a laminate finish, probably not to durable for garage use. The shelf uprights are designed to hang from a single tack strip at the ceiling, may not be suited for heavy loading.

You can get uprights and shelf brackets that look the same, but mount straight on the wall studs, at Home Depot or Lowes. They even sell unfinished MDP shelves in 10-12 foot lengths, sized to fit the shelf brackets and with a curved front edge.

But if you want enclosed storage (for security or to hide your mess), you may want to go with cabinets like the ones in the previous posts. I've pulled down most of my open shelving and replaced it with cabinets for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gorilla shelves

For those on a budget, I would recommend these mega-heavy-duty shelves. Metal frames and composite (?) shelving, 18" deep and four feet long. Very, very heavy (you'll need someone to help you unload them from the car), and you have to put them together yourself (pretty easy). I got my two sets at Costco for what I recall as a very reasonable price. I can't recall the manufacturer, but they were labeled as "Gorilla shelves" and you can probably find more info on the internet with a google search.

Good luck.

fitzkorn

(PS -- my Pilot is an outdoor car -- no way to fit it in the garage even without the shelves!).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts