Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for recommendations and actual experiences using hard rooftop carriers (like Thule) on a 2015 Honda Pilot. I have a soft one that is okay, but is a pain to get on and off, and must be checked often to be sure the straps are tight. Yes, I have read the Honda Owners manual, Google, Amazon, eBay,etc. on what can be used, but I would really appreciate feedback on your experience(s).

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I have used the larger X-Cargo Sport (sears, 20 CF, rear clamshell) and the Thule Evolution 6410 (sears, 16 CF, side clamshell). Both fit easily, the Honda roof rack allowed me to use the outermost holes for each setup and push the carrier as far back as I could. In my opinion, the Thule is easier to load and unload being side clamshell and it is by far superior construction to the X-Cargo (also manufactured by Thule but clearly a cheaper material used that goes soft on hot days).

·
Registered
795 Posts
I got an X-Cargo 20, bought it maybe 10 years ago, it still serves darn well. I driven in pretty hot weather with it, never a problem. And I haven't seen a Thule that matches the capacity.
P.S. I ordered roof rails and crossbars from Bernardi, not sure if they are genuine OEM, but they work quite well.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,096 Posts
The best carrier is going to be the one that fits your needs. First thing, figure out how much CF you actually need and buy to that need. To small and you can't see out the rear window for all the stuff you crammed into the cargo area. To large and you are just hauling around dead weight that it also a wind block killing you gas mileage. You don't mention if this is to haul stuff for one person or eight, nor do you mention how often it is actually going to be used. I wouldn't pay for a Thule Vector M for a once a year trip to the in-laws.

Once you know what you need for room then you can start comparing options from various manufacturers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.