Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a DashMat brand dash cover for my 2007 years ago and was completely satisfied. I just returned the one I bought for my 2014 with navigation as the materials of construction were lower quality than I expected and the fit over the defrost vents had about 2-3 inches of extra material and would not lay flat.

Does anyone have another brand? DashMat is sold by CoverCraft…

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What’s the reason you want one? The dash won’t suffer cracking like dashes of the 80’s
Cracking no but the oils /compound that is made the dashboard up in the summers with the beating sun will be seen on the windshield .. every couple days in the summer i have to clean that crap.
besides it keeps the dash clean from those bags of chips ..popcorn...spilled beer cans.. ammo shells...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
What’s the reason you want one? The dash won’t suffer cracking like dashes of the 80’s
Yes it will. It just takes a little longer. Modern plastics have better UV protection in the colorants, but still suffer from UV epoxidation over time. The foam underneath suffers from heat exposure, eventually turning to powder regardless of the UV protection that the vinyl provides. A good dash cover dramatically slows both the vinyl and the foam deterioration. Additionally, sunshades used religiously while parked will do a lot for the whole interior by reducing peak temps inside.

---

The Pilot sits covered in the garage during its non-use periods for the same reasons. The paint and plastic last a whole lot longer when protected from even reflected sunlight exposure. A small fleet of "interesting" cars here gets that same treatment, and all manage to look fabulous in original paint and interior materials, some at thirty-plus years since leaving the factories. Modern paint and plastic are great. Witness the long lists of folks with white Hondas bragging up the durability of the paint that's peeling off.

Many use their Pilots for commuting and regular-driver duty where leaving it outside a lot is part of the use pattern. A dash cover and regular windscreen shade use is still the best option when the car can't sit covered/protected in the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts