Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Pilot with Nav for $500 over invoice. They said that they could have done better if I bought one off of the lot.

So, I am trading in my 2002 Acura MDX for a 2003 Pilot. Both are Redrock Pearl so it will be interesting to see the difference over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Congratuations on your purchase! That sounds like a pretty good deal - a lot better than the one I got this past weekend. But I'm happy with my purchase - as I hope you will be.

Please keep us informed of what you think of the differences between your old MDX and your new Pilot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
phinphan said:
Just bought a new Pilot with Nav for $500 over invoice. They said that they could have done better if I bought one off of the lot.

So, I am trading in my 2002 Acura MDX for a 2003 Pilot. Both are Redrock Pearl so it will be interesting to see the difference over time.
First, welcome to honda-Pilot.org, phinphan!!

May I ask what your reasons were in trading a 2002 Acura MDX for a 2003 Pilot (incidentally the same color)??? It's an interesting decision! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trading in my MDX (which I love and have driven 41k in 19 months) because the transmission failed and had to be replaced and I hold a grudge! I change cars alot anyway and the Pilot was just so cheap compared to buying a new Acura that I took the plunge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
There are probably more differences between a 02 MDX and an 03 MDX than between an 02 MDX and an 03 Pilot anyway. I'd probably prefer a new Pilot to an 02 MDX. The new MDX gains the better Nav, VSC, 20 horses, a new tranny, and several smaller changes that MDX owners rank as being pretty important.

Surprised Acura didn't work harder to satisfy you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I repurchased the same transmission but I love the car. That is why I put the exclamation mark after saying I hold a grudge. I drive over 25k per year so I was going to get a new car anyway but the transmission failing was the catalyst. I'd rather have a new Pilot with 0 miles than a MDX with 41k and a new transmission.

Might not make much sense but I would have bought the Pilot over the MDX in the beginning if it were available back in October of 2001 when I ordered my MDX.

This is my 6th Honda product and 5th since 1998. Lets see I had a Legend Coupe (2d gen) then a CRX then a Legend 4 Door (2d gen) then the MDX and now a Pilot. And I have driven over 200k miles on them. I also had a Ford Explorer and a Ford Expedition in there as well!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Welcome aboard phinphan! Finally more members in Florida. We need to get some more Floridians on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
FLPilot said:
Welcome aboard phinphan! Finally more members in Florida. We need to get some more Floridians on this board.
Welcome, phinphan. But who could get an accurate count of Floridians, anyway. And how many Floridians named Chad are hanging around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
jay said:


Welcome, phinphan. But who could get an accurate count of Floridians, anyway. And how many Floridians named Chad are hanging around?
I guess we will never get over this will we. :rolleyes:

Hey we have computers now, which come with a bunch of new problems I am sure. They have been used in small elections, but I guess we will see what happens with the big one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
FLPilot said:


I guess we will never get over this will we. :rolleyes:

Hey we have computers now, which come with a bunch of new problems I am sure. They have been used in small elections, but I guess we will see what happens with the big one.
The secret book that FLPilot and florida_guy have stashed away in their night stand... :D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
jay said:

who could get an accurate count of Floridians, anyway. And how many Floridians named Chad are hanging around?
Good one jay!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
kemosabe said:


The secret book that FLPilot and florida_guy have stashed away in their night stand... :D
"Florida voting for dummies"
Ummm... kemo.... being from the Washington D.C. area don't you kind of have the market cornered on dumb voters. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
$500 over invoice is great!!

Did they give you a fair price on your trade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
florida_guy said:

Ummm... kemo.... being from the Washington D.C. area don't you kind of have the market cornered on dumb voters. :p
We do have a bunch of dumb voters here in the D.C. area. We refer to them as "Congress," also referred to as the "House," and the "Senate."

But remember, the actual citizenry living in the District has no voters; that is, they have no official vote in Congress. Hence the "Taxation Without Representation" line on most D.C. license plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
jay said:

We do have a bunch of dumb voters here in the D.C. area. We refer to them as "Congress," also referred to as the "House," and the "Senate."
That's who I was referring to. :2:
jay said:

But remember, the actual citizenry living in the District has no voters; that is, they have no official vote in Congress. Hence the "Taxation Without Representation" line on most D.C. license plates.
I did not know that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
Re: Any leasing experts out there?

guitarman said:
I've been quoted lease payments of $403/month for 36 months or $350/month for 48 months. This is on an EX-L and includes 5% state taxes. No money down, 12,000 mi/yr. Any thoughts on these quotes? Are they good, bad, or reasonable?
I'm not a leasing expert, but the first figure is 40.3 cents per mile, and the second is 35 cents a mile. Is this a closed-end lease or open? What's the residual value. Can you buy the vehicle at lease end? At what price? Do you regularly get a new vehicle, or keep it a long time?

Do you drive less than or more than 12,000 miles per year. What's the charge for any overage? Is the vehicle in like new condition or beat all to hell after three or four years? What do the lease terms say about wear and tear? Is the dealer reputable, unknown, or shady? Does the lease rate include any maintenance, even oil changes?

If you plan to keep a vehicle a long time, any lease numbers are irrelevant, as a purchase will be cheaper. If you trade every 3 years and don't buy the vehicle, more info is probably needed to make a decision.

If you were to finance $31,000 for 48 months at 5%, the cost per mile would be 71 cents (at 12,000 miles per year), and you would own the vehicle free and clear after 4 years. That's versus the 35 cents per mile 4 year lease quote. In the lease, you put in $16,800. In the purchase, you put in $34,267.49.

If the buyout price is over $17,467 at the end of a 4 year lease, and you want to keep it, you've paid a premium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Just purchased Pilot for $600 under invoice

Just purchased a redrock Pearl EX-L with Rear seat entertainment for $600 under invoice from Brewster Honda in Brewster, NY. Very happy with the dealer and the vehicle so far. A few of gripes that others have mentioned in this forum:

1. No heated seat option
2. fog lamps are a dealer installed option, are expensive and don't look all that great
3. Third row seat could be larger and should be leather trimmed like other seats
4. Directional stalk is too close to shift level
5. Cruise control "On" button is too low on the dash
6. A standard compass would be welcomed
7. Could be easier to get into third row seat. Virtually impossible with child car seats in second row
8. A regular 110 outlet, as opposed to a cigarette outlet would be useful. Many cars, including my Toyota Avalon, has a regular 110 volt outlet which accepts standard plugs
9. Radio/DVD entertainment system is not intuitive and some buttons (such as volume knob) are too small to be operated with gloves on


However, these are minor points and overall I'm very satisfied with the vehicle for the price I paid. I researched SUVs and minivans for months before settling on the Pilot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
$600 under invoice or MSRP?

If you got under invoice, I think that's a first!! Congrats would be in order. :6:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top