Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I'm new to the forum. We just put a depost in a Redrock Pearl EX-L Nav which we should pick up within two weeks. I was wondering what are the most worthwhile accessories.

I was looking at the Sidesteps or Running Boards, rear camera and fog lights. I'm also looking for something to keep the interor cargo area clean -- i.e. hauling the family tree.

I'm in New Jersey and have twins due in May if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got the towing package,because i tow a boat, get the all wheather mats, running boards or steps because when the kids are four or five they will come in handy, and the rear splash guards. IMO.

·
Registered
335 Posts
- The rear mudguards are a MUST, their inexpensive.
- All weather mats, our NJ winters can get snowy/slushy/salty. Although the stock ones don't cover the dead peddle.
- May want to add the after market Halogen bulbs for better illumination.
- Switched to the Michelin Cross Terrains. MUCH MUCH better tire!! Very noticeable improvement in handling. Much more stable in the rain.
Talk to your dealer , see if there anything he can do to add the Michelin for you, before taking ownership/driving them on the Goodyears.
- I added the Auto Day/Night mirror mainly because I liked having the compass.
- Since I tow a boat the tow package, with the coolers. Although you can get just the hitch for various light activities ie cycle rack.
- I have the Redrock Pearl as well and I added the Gold Emblem kit, looks SHARP!

Joe

PS What part of NJ are you from? If in NJersey, which dealer?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey Joe, how much were your Michelin Cross Terrains? And where did you get them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pilot Accessories

Joe:

I'm from Westfield (Union County). I'm purchasing the Pilot from Route 22 Honda. Overall, I can say it has been a relatively pleasant experience for a car purchase. I originally went to Planet Honda, but left after they wanted $4,000 over MSRP and $1200 for the runnin boards!!!

Do the halogens replace the headlights? How much do they cost around? Did the dealer do the install? I have read that the lighting on the Pilot is a tad bit week.

What's the difference between the mats included with the Pilot and the all weather mats. They look thicker based on the photograph.

Mike

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The all weathermats are rubber mats that should replace the factory carpet mats in bad weather.
Some use them over the carpet mats (but I cant figure out why).

The Pilot headlamps are halogen. THe bulbs are standard brightness HB2/H4. They are about as good as any non-european H4 headlamp out there, except they aimed a bit low for an unloaded vehical. This is to allow them not to be aimed too high when you are loaded.
There are several good high brightness bulbs available from Sylvania/Osram, Phillips, and Hella that are rated at +50% brightness. Putting them in is a 10 minuet job.

As for the other accesories. Too, each his own. It mostly depends on how you plan to use your Pilot. I go for function over style, so chrome/Gold, and pinstripes are out, carrying, lighting, and protection accessories are in.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Mike,

As you can see I'm in North Jersey. I got my Pilot at Sussex Honda(even further North), great dealership, as compared to Rt23 Honda.
Yes, shopping was wise! What's even more amassing is that people bought the Pilot from him at his inflated price, when they just had to get on the phone and shop a bit.

Looks like Jay gave you some useful info. Changing the Halogen light is a snap, you're ONLY changing the filament which can be removed from the inside of the engine compartment. Be careful not to touch it with your fingers, if you touch it when its cold, you leave your skin oils on it. If you touch it when its hot, you leave your skin on it! I went with the Philips.

The CT's were $125 each mounted and balanced, + the dealer gave me $35 for each of the Goodyears, which had 2000 miles on them, with tax the bill was $380, got them at Art's Tire Service, in Hawthorne. Lucked out, Michelin had a promo that started a few days latter which buy 4 tires and get a Samsonite carry-on, with wheels and handle + a US Atlas...nice deal!

Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the weathertech mats in black i really like them although i wasnt sure when i first put them in . odd fit.in so much that they are not moulded to fit but i have lived with them now for months and love them. i also got the honda cargo liner and cargo tray i never use the third seat so i leave the liner in all the time and if i spill somthing i just slide out the cargo tray and hose it off. i go to the dump with my garbage and these things have saved my interior a few times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone with the camera tell me how far it extrudes from the body? Is it really noticeable?

I'm looking at either the camera or the sensors, but I'm wondering is someone could easily pull off the camera thinking they have a new video camera they could resell from the back of a truck.

Any thoughts?

Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
accessories

I'd like to suggest looking through the gallery of pictures. There are many wonderful shots of Pilots in all the colors with a variety of different Honda & non Honda additions.

Our's has the camera & it is chrome that sticks out about 2.5 inches. It doesn't look like a camera, more like a light for the plate or something along that line. We have no fear of someone ripping it off!

There's useful accessories & one's that are just nice. The red with chrome on it has a great look & gets lots of compliments! That's my favorite one!:2:

Mrs. JC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.....
My wife had a clear bra put on our Redrock Pearl EX-L. You can hardly see that it is there, but it really protects against chips---especially since we live in a state that really gravels up the roads during the winter. They also put it on the mirrors and around the door handle. Pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
monty1002 said:
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.....
My wife had a clear bra put on our Redrock Pearl EX-L. You can hardly see that it is there, but it really protects against chips---especially since we live in a state that really gravels up the roads during the winter. They also put it on the mirrors and around the door handle. Pretty inexpensive.
Hi monty1002... Welcome!!!

There have been several mentions and a few installs of the clear bra on the Pilot. If you do a search on clear bra you'll find several threads.
Glad to see you here!! :D
Be sure to post your Pilot info in Havasu's Vin Table thread...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921
:29:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Woodgrain Steering Wheel Anyone?

I am new to the discussion as well with a 4 week old Sagebrush EX. I am still contemplating additional accessories but am very impressed with the look and feel of the woodgrain steering wheel. I have read some posting about the other woodgrain interior options none of which I have but haven't seen any on the steering wheel yet. I would highly recommend even though fairly pricy (around $500).

·
Registered
698 Posts
My Best Accessory Buys were...

... my best accessory buys were the All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray (that black thing) and the Back Up Sensors.

Now, I don't mind telling you that I was more than a bit annoyed with my better half when he suggested (demanded) that we get the back up sensors. I felt personally insulted. Was he trying to say that I was a bad driver?

So, we got them. I hated their little guts too.

Then, I realized just how useful they really are. I still look and swerve around when I back up, like always. Except NOW, I have some added insurance that if a small child darts behind my vehicle when I am turning the other way to see if the coast is clear, that I won't hit him/her.

This is a BIG vehicle, and it is silly to think that you can look on both sides of the vehicle at the same time. I love the sensors.

As for the mats - they are a MUST with kids. I have the all-weather mats and the cargo tray and I never take them out. The cargo tray is perfect for when I go shopping. I can put a gallon on milk in the back and if it dribbles, it isn't dribbling on the carpet.

The only downside to the all-weather front mats is that for some stupid reason, Honda has cut out a large hunk of the mat where you left foot sits. Even though I Scotchgarded the carpet, my shoes were soiling the carpet. So, I grabbed a microfiber towel and placed it over the area and then put the all weather mat on top of it.

Its perfect now. :)

I hope that helps and CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming twins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can someone take a picture of those all-weather mats. I'm considering purchasing some. Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
pwc said:
Can someone take a picture of those all-weather mats. I'm considering purchasing some. Thanks
Here's the pic from the Honda site. Not a very good pic but you can see wht they look like. They're the same size as the floor mats and even have the little holes to hold in place like the mats.
http://hondacars.com/models/interior_accessories.asp?ModelName=Pilot

The weathertech pics are linked in previous posts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts