Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any benefits of tire rotation :20::20:- other than prolonging life of tread? ( As far as I'm concerned, the faster the stock tires wear- the better)
Didn't know if rotation has any other benefits i.e.- to front end/ chassis wear,etc

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Even wear

What are you going to do when only 2 of the tires need replacement?

Even wear also helps presever ballance, so you will get a bit better ride.

Even wear (diameter) helps the ABS and VTM-4 systems do their jobs better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My question would be not why rotate but why in a cross pattern? Every other vehicle I have owned in the last 10 years did not specify a cross rotation but stressed keeping the tires on the same side of the vehicle-that is only rotate front to back. Does anyone have any idea why Honda does this? Do they require this on the MDX or other Hondas?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Rotation paterns

Not sure why they use these rotation paterns.
In teh early day of radial tires it was sugested not to cross them.
This has long since been shown not to be an issue, but the companies making your other cars may have chosen not to argue with the old information.

Cross rotation is better for evening out wear as each tire spends some time on each corner.

·
Registered
920 Posts
How many of you guys rotate your own tires???

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've been using cross rotation for quite some time and most of the manuals for the vehicles I've owned recommend cross rotation. I can't do that anymore on the wife's Sienna because the Aquatred 3's are rotational.

MG Pilot,

I rotate my own and always have. It's a good opportunity to get a close look at the brake pads, etc. while the wheel is off. I use a hydraulic jack and a set of jack stands. It's not that long of a job, but I usually stretch it out to about an hour by the time I check everything I want to while I'm in there.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
xyzzy said:
I've been using cross rotation for quite some time and most of the manuals for the vehicles I've owned recommend cross rotation. I can't do that anymore on the wife's Sienna because the Aquatred 3's are rotational.

MG Pilot,

I rotate my own and always have. It's a good opportunity to get a close look at the brake pads, etc. while the wheel is off. I use a hydraulic jack and a set of jack stands. It's not that long of a job, but I usually stretch it out to about an hour by the time I check everything I want to while I'm in there.

Chris
So you put the whole car on stands and then rotate???

·
Registered
919 Posts
No. Two on stands and a third on the jack. Once you get the "new" tire onto the one at the jack, you lower it and move to the 4th tire. You can do it with a jack and 1 jack stand, but I find the 2 jack stand method easier.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
xyzzy said:
No. Two on stands and a third on the jack. Once you get the "new" tire onto the one at the jack, you lower it and move to the 4th tire. You can do it with a jack and 1 jack stand, but I find the 2 jack stand method easier.

Chris
Where do you position the two stands??? I'm assuming that you use the stands for the two front wheels and the jack for the rears correct. IOW, you only need to use the jack as a stand twice correct???

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here is what I usually do:

stand under driver front
stand under driver rear
jack passenger front
remove driver rear and passenger front
move old driver rear to passenger front
lower passenger front and jack passenger rear
remove passenger rear
move old passenger front to passenger rear
lower passenger rear
remove driver front
move old passenger rear to driver front
lower driver front
move old driver front to driver rear
lower driver rear

I just want you to know you've given me a headache by making me think this through. I think that's it, but I've never had to put it on paper before. Hope it helps.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
MG Pilot said:

Where do you position the two stands??? I'm assuming that you use the stands for the two front wheels and the jack for the rears correct. IOW, you only need to use the jack as a stand twice correct???
LOL!!! Too funny! Thx for your help. I think from what you are describing you cross the fronts and the rears...

What I do is drop the fronts to the back and then cross the rears to the front...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes. Essentially the rears end up at the front on the opposite sides and the fronts end up at the rears on the same sides. I think thats what I described, or at least that's what I was trying to say. You owe me a bottle of aspirin now! :D

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Has anyone tried lifting the whole rear on by the center jack point?

Seems you could put the front on stands and just put the jack under the center.

·
Registered
919 Posts
N_Jay said:
Has anyone tried lifting the whole rear on by the center jack point?

Seems you could put the front on stands and just put the jack under the center.
No, but I have my first rotation coming up in about 1k so I may give it a go. My hydraulic jack is rated to take the load, but I wonder about stability. Not sure.

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Put the front on stands first.
Since the front will be off the suspension it can not lean from side to side and jacking the rear Shoul dbe no problem.
First rotation will be at the dealer, after that I will save a few $$ by doing it myself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
N_Jay said:
Put the front on stands first.
Since the front will be off the suspension it can not lean from side to side and jacking the rear Shoul dbe no problem.
First rotation will be at the dealer, after that I will save a few $$ by doing it myself.
N_Jay, why first rotation at the dealer? Any particular reason?

As far as jacking point at the rear just behind the aluminum differential housing looks so weak that I was afraid to use it last time when I installed the mud guards.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Just because

With the CR-V it was the same service as the first round of "inspections" and such.
I think it is the same for the Pilot.
After that I will do it myself. That way I am sure it gets some anti-seize compound and the correct torque.

·
Registered
920 Posts
N_Jay has a good idea if it works...

A jack rated at 4000lb should be strong enough to hold the Pilot's rear end, don't you think???

·
Registered
45 Posts
5 tire rotation

I have a full size spare i installed for towing ,but there is nothing in the service manual on 5 tire rotation. does anybody do it and whats the pattern ??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just take the spare and put it in the passenger rear position. Take the tire that would have gone to the passenger rear and use it as the spare. This assumes that you have a matching rim on the spare, otherwise it might look kind of silly!

Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts