Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Belt Tensioner Bolt Broken

36400 31
We just got our 09 Pilot back after they replaced the belt tensioner pulley, belt tensioner pulley bolt and belt.

Today my wife is driving to work and the thing happens battery light comes on no power steering.

The service manager told me that they had another pilot this week with a broken tensioner bolt broken.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? The car has 97K miles on it.

**Just got a call from the Honda Dealer and he said the tensioner belt pulley bolt was broke again.

Sound like they have defective bolts or the mechanic is applying the wrong torque or just tightening to no factory specs.

**** Just spoke with Honda repair. They told me the reason the bolts keep breaking is they do not know what the correct torque settings are for the belt tensioner pulley bolt. Well this is what the Honda Service rep says anyways. Are you kidding me. This is a Honda dealership....

******Just spoke with the Honda dealership. He said it's fixed and it was a broken tensioner pulley bolt that snapped. He said there was some part that had to trimmed after the factory recall and that had not been done on the second factory recall.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,575 Posts
I had this problem myself!!! It was the most annoying problem I ever had on my pilot. Long story short ONLY USE HONDA PARTS INCLUDING TENSIONER,THE BOLT!! AND SERPENTINE BELT. AND ONLY LET HONDA INSTALL IT! This is the only thing I ever payed the dealership to do in 10 years, as it Fuxxked me numerous times. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I used the weld the nut on procedure that Nail Grease said to remove the bolt, I would listen to him on this one!! I learned not to use anything but Honda Parts from this experience...
A welder could damage the bolt hole I believe, that is why this is best left to Honda.
No need to scare the public to run to the dealership for this.
I've reused bolts and aftermarket tensioners with no issues. Clean bolts, chase threads, use neversieze, buy right.

·
Read Only
186 Posts
No need to scare the public to run to the dealership for this.
I've reused bolts and aftermarket tensioners with no issues. Clean bolts, chase threads, use neversieze, buy right.

Just saying, lets hope after he fixes it the bolt does not snap. It seems to happen to often after the tensioner gets replaced, and it leaves you stranded with no power steering ect.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Look who talking.. Did someone mention the VCM muzzler?

My recommendation of disabling the VCM is based on my personal experiences. When someone says they are not having any issues by running an active VCM, I'll let you know about what you can't see. Problems caused by this function will eventually come. You can let it be for now, trade so the next guy inherits the problem.
I have never replaced the original bolt holding my drive belt tensioner on my 250k mile 2012 Crosstour. It has an aftermarket tensioner. The OE bolt has been reused and retorqued at least 4 times. Why has it not broke?

·
Registered
5 Posts
From experience I say go dealer route providing they are good at their service. Multiple problems can cause these bolts to break and any item in the chain will cause another to break, new or used. I'm betting you need a new mounting plate for the bolt tensioner. Read past forums on this subject. It is a problem!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Interesting thread I am posting to subscribe to.

I have a vibration sound from that area of my '09 engine. Trying to figure out if some bearings are bad or some other issue to try to locate.

The tensioner maybe needs to be replaced. When I had it off a couple months ago and grabbed it to reinstall, it was sitting in a small puddle of oil. I couldn't figure out for sure if it leaked the oil, or I'd put it down on the oil which was already there and I just didn't notice.

All the pulleys seemed fine when I replaced the alternator but doesn't mean I don't need to trade some other part out.

Does anyone know, do the tensioners leak when they go bad? I mean there's more than one component to "go bad" but if the hydraulic shock went bad, would it leak out of the boot? The rubber was pretty worn ('09 150k miles) but I couldn't see any obvious cracking and I don't know what they're like on the inside.

So, is it "normal" to have them leak oil if they go bad?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's an older thread, but I wanted to share and hope it helps someone else. I had the same problem as described by other posters. Stranded twice in the middle of nowhere and twice in town. I can now do the repair in about an hour, so that's good.

There are two types of tensioner Pulley's for the pilot or odyssey in these years. Mine is the large bolt in the middle and a much smaller bolt at the bottom with some type of compression piston. The bolt that is shearing does not screw into the engine, but into the A/C housing.

I went to the Honda dealership and they provided some hints. They KNOW it's a known problem, but their head mechanic had only seen it twice. How do they know? The tensioner pulley is on its 3rd version. You don't make it to 3 unless 1 and 2 are having issues.

They repeated much that was suggested here by others with one extra step. Must use oil on the bolt, must use new serpentine belt, must use the 3rd version tensioner pulley, must torque the bolts exactly (not close - exactly) AND must replace the A/C housing. Mechanic said that the A/C housing threads that the tensioner pulley bolt uses, starts to degrade and the first thread or two does not permit a tight fitting. It's impossible to see by the naked eye, but a wiggle is occurring exactly where the bolt is breaking off. So, gotta replace that housing.

He also suggested to look at A/C unit high-side PSI if that work had been done recently.

Hope this helps others. 1000 miles later, fingers crossed.
The piece your talking about broke completely off on mine so the tensioner doesn’t screw into block but the a/c housing

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I'm sitting with a broken bolt right now, what would you do ? Dealer or private shop ? I heard there is a 3rd version out there, where is it and is it the working solution ?
Which bolt? Post a picture so we can get an idea of what your dealing with.

• Helpful
Reactions: Beeper21

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
what did dealer cost ?
I’ve never used a dealership for replacing a serpentine belt tensioner. If I felt that the bolt was in poor condition and needed replacing, I’d buy an OEM. I’ve used Gates and INA tensioners. INA is an OEM supplier ✔. I torque bolts to the correct specifications.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts