Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worthwhile to apply that 'belt ease" type dressing spray to the alternator and other belts visible under the hood? In frigid weather, does it prevent the belts from becoming brittle and developing hairline cracks? Or is that stuff bad for the belts?

Also, do any of you spray lithium grease on the door hinges or silicon spran along metal pulleys/cables/etc in the engine to "winterize: them..or is that a waste of time

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've never cared for belt dressings. The purpose of the belts is to transfer power and it seems like most dressings would be slippery and inhibit this. If a belt is slipping and making noise it should be adjusted or replaced.

As far as lubricating the other item such as cables and door hinges, it's a good idea as required. I don't think a new vehicle requires it. If an item starts to bind or becomes stiff, such as a hood release cable I will lubricate it. My only caution would be to use the correct lube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about lithium grease. Is that a good all purspose lube or can it interact or destroy the original lube?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Lithium is a good all purpose lube for high pressure situations, those where the two surfaces have high contact forces or pressure.

You probably already know this but some people will get carried away with WD40. A door hinge will start to bind or make noise so they will give it a shot of WD40. This works for a short time but the WD40 acts as a solvent and washes the heavier grease out of the hinge and there is less lubrication than originally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're looking for a good belt dressing I highly recommend Edelbrock Gasgacinch. It's basically a high temperature contact cement. Makes a great gasket sealer but can also be used as a belt dressing. I've cured several belt noises with this. Haven't tried it as a dessert topping yet. This stuff is hard to find, some high performance shops carry it.

paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts