Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well it's under warranty. If they come back and it's going to be a week plus ordeal I'd be asking for a loaner comparable to the vehicle I bought.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just got a call from the service manager. Good news and bad, Its done and ready to be picked up. They cleaned everything and could not find anything leaking. Nothing from the main seal or anyplace else. The rest of the engine is bone dry. Now I really have to wonder where this fluid came from??? I know my regular car mechanic is very anal about wiping up and cleaning anything that has ever been spilled. At least I have photos of it from before, then dry and cleaned up today. I'll get under it again in a month and see if anything has changed

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Just got a call from the service manager. Good news and bad, Its done and ready to be picked up. They cleaned everything and could not find anything leaking. Nothing from the main seal or anyplace else. The rest of the engine is bone dry. Now I really have to wonder where this fluid came from??? I know my regular car mechanic is very anal about wiping up and cleaning anything that has ever been spilled. At least I have photos of it from before, then dry and cleaned up today. I'll get under it again in a month and see if anything has changed
There are urban legends of new vehicles "weeping" as they go through their first heating and cooling cycles before they (and their seals) settle in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really hope it’s the same that I had in the ‘18 Odyssey and ‘20 Pilot. “Assembly lube” they said. They use assembly lube especially on the guide pins(block to tranny) and certain bolts to make the mating easy. In time, when exposed to heat cycles, it will melt-harden-melt until it seeps through. I would wait at least another 1000 miles and check the exact spot again for any signs of seepage. I would say that if it’s engine oil, it’ll be so thin and will leak faster, and if its “lube” it’s be tacky and thick thus attracts more dirt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
By the way, the tech and service advisor mentioned to me that the lube they used is the same to what they put on hinges i.e gas door and trunk. It’s like cosmoline lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found out when I picked it up they did put a leak detection dye in. I guess I'll go back for my next oil change to see what happens. Until then I'll be crawling under it a couple times a month Lol
I was about to suggest you a dye application. But it seemed they were mindful enough to apply it which is good. Time will tell and I hope it’s nothing serious!

·
Registered
196 Posts
One down fall to getting my Pilot sprayed with Fluid Film.....EVERYTHING looks like it has a leak. Wet, shiny, greasy, dirt and dust attached. I like the Fluid Film for what it is supposed to do, hate it getting under the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m curious where y’all spray the Fluid Film? I know it’s generally safe, but I just want to make sure I’m not spraying at something I’m not suppose to lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
I’m curious where y’all spray the Fluid Film? I know it’s generally safe, but I just want to make sure I’m not spraying at something I’m not suppose to lol
DON'T spray it up around the fuel tank sensors/hoses/wires in front of the rear differential :oops:

You might get a check engine light from the "fuel tank pressure sensor" and "atmospheric box" that your local stealership will say is caused by the fluid film and deny warranty coverage........just sayin' :unsure: :whistle: :mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
DON'T spray it up around the fuel tank sensors/hoses/wires in front of the rear differential :oops:

You might get a check engine light from the "fuel tank pressure sensor" and "atmospheric box" that your local stealership will say is caused by the fluid film and deny warranty coverage........just sayin' :unsure: :whistle: :mad:
Thanks for the heads up! I just recently talked to a friend that lived in NY, and he’s been using FF for years with great results. Anyhow, one trick he pointed out is to spray FF into a rag and use it to wipe on spots near the sensors and any sensitive components instead of spraying/overspraying. Simple But useful!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I only spray body metal

21 - 35 of 35 Posts