Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 EX-L with 19K miles

Just had my oil changed at my local shop and the owner / friend of mine called me out. The Pilot was on the rack and he pointed up to the bottom of the bell housing, looks like you have a small leak #&#%! Are you freaking kidding me!!!!
Got a few photos and I’m off to the Honda dealer this afternoon

·
Registered
603 Posts
That's a lot of oil to leak in 19 miles! :cool:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That stinks.

You'd think all these years later seal design would have advanced to the point where leaks never occur.

Reactions: FASTFJR

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I'm speechless.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You know dealerships don't like people who ask questions. Just accept the penetration they provide and say thank you while emptying your wallet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know dealerships don't like people who ask questions. Just accept the penetration they provide and say thank you while emptying your wallet.
At least I won't be shelling out a penny since its under warranty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, we just acquired our 2020 EX-L last week with 15 miles on the odo. As soon as we got home I checked the bottom of the vehicle while I was checking the tire pressure. Lo and behold.. I found some oil/lube residue at the exact spot. It was still fresh with light amber color. Imagine, 50 miles brand new when I saw this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kinda lol Actually, we had the same issue with our 2018 Odyssey(traded with the current Pilot) and it was in the same spot, that’s why I was proactive. Furthermore, the Odyssey had 37,000 miles when it was traded and the leak/seepage didn’t come back after cleaning it twice(cleaned at 3,000 miles and 21,000 miles). The dealership told me it was a residue of “assembly lube” that wasn’t cleaned up. The most interesting part was the lube/oil is very sticky/thick when its cold, but runny and watery when the engine is warm. It resembles the characteristic of an assembly lube or some type of grease.

I called our dealership about the Pilot and sent them pictures and videos of the leak/seepage and all I got was the same “assembly lube” response. Oh well... I’ll check back at 1,000 miles as I’m currently still at 400 miles.

*There’s a member here with the same issue. I’ll post a link and you’ll see the pic of my Odyssey belly pan on that link too.
Here it is: 2016 pilot: oil leak between tranny and engine!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kinda lol Actually, we had the same issue with our 2018 Odyssey(traded with the current Pilot) and it was in the same spot, that’s why I was proactive. Furthermore, the Odyssey had 37,000 miles when it was traded and the leak/seepage didn’t come back after cleaning it twice(cleaned at 3,000 miles and 21,000 miles). The dealership told me it was a residue of “assembly lube” that wasn’t cleaned up. The most interesting part was the lube/oil is very sticky/thick when its cold, but runny and watery when the engine is warm. It resembles the characteristic of an assembly lube or some type of grease.

I called our dealership about the Pilot and sent them pictures and videos of the leak/seepage and all I got was the same “assembly lube” response. Oh well... I’ll check back at 1,000 miles as I’m currently still at 400 miles.

*There’s a member here with the same issue. I’ll post a link and you’ll see the pic of my Odyssey belly pan on that link too.
Here it is: 2016 pilot: oil leak between tranny and engine!!!
Good info! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I seem to remember reading about this here or on Odyclub... as some kind of normal seepage on brand new vehicles. Still cannot hurt to have the dealer take a look to ensure it isnt an issue.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Pilot is at the dealer, loaner they gave me is basic Accord.......of course.....why should it be something I at least fit in comfortably Lol. Spoke to the service manager and asked him for a time line. 1-5 days he said and he wasn't joking. They will need to pull it apart to see where the leak is coming from. At least the are doing the rear diff for free Lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Pilot is at the dealer, loaner they gave me is basic Accord.......of course.....why should it be something I at least fit in comfortably Lol. Spoke to the service manager and asked him for a time line. 1-5 days he said and he wasn't joking. They will need to pull it apart to see where the leak is coming from. At least the are doing the rear diff for free Lol
Bummer, I hope it’s just something minor. I mean, the worse case would be a rear main seal.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts