Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my keys on the asphalt road....about two feet from the ground....

the key got dented....it won't go into any keyholes until i filed it down flat....

never had a key that got dented before ughhhh....

can't see it much from the pic but its the flat surface that goes the entire length.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I dropped my keys recently too :bangh: There were no dents to the key but the remote died. I could not figure out what happened as I didn't think a drop like that would kill the remote :3:

After minutes of frantically shaking it to no avail, I was about to drive to the dealers to see if they could do anything about it (could it possibly be covered by warranty?) or get a replacement when it struck me to try the battery from the other unit. Believe it or not, the remote worked ! It turned out that the drop had somehow killed the battery on the unit but did not damage the remote.

I was amazed ... and glad to only have to spend $2 to replace the battery and not a lot more for the remote :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
yolk said:
It turned out that the drop had somehow killed the battery on the unit but did not damage the remote.
Did you try just re-seating the old battery? It sounds like it may have just been knocked loose.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guess I've been lucky in that I've dropped my keys at least three times on the pavement with no ill effects.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I've only done it once, and it was with the Highlander key and remote, but it went through a full wash cycle with no ill effects. The remote did look whiter and brighter, though. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Somewhat off topic, but...

When I was at the dealer last week, they gave me a 2003 Accord LX as a rental/loaner. The remote was built into the key itself - it was not a separate fob. Is there any way to adapt the Pilot key to this config?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gourma4 said:

When I was at the dealer last week, they gave me a 2003 Accord LX as a rental/loaner. The remote was built into the key itself - it was not a separate fob. Is there any way to adapt the Pilot key to this config?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to ask the dealer the next time I take my pilot in for service.

·
Registered
89 Posts
jay said:
I've only done it once, and it was with the Highlander key and remote, but it went through a full wash cycle with no ill effects. The remote did look whiter and brighter, though. :D
Did you have immobilizer on the Highlander? I was told it's a no-no to get the key wet.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Gourma4 said:

Sorry but the Accord remote is not compatable with the Pilot. :(

It seems Honda has two different security systems.
From what I understand the CR-V, Accord, and a few others share one. The Pilot, and Odyssey are on the other.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
weekendpilot said:
Did you have immobilizer on the Highlander? I was told it's a no-no to get the key wet.
Water should not affect the key. It will hurt the remote.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
weekendpilot said:
It did have an immobilizer. The lint in the crevices of the key was gone, and no other visible impact, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
hop23 said:
Did you try just re-seating the old battery? It sounds like it may have just been knocked loose.
I did... I bent the connectors around, shook the unit to listen for rattles etc but no luck. The thing that confirmed that it was a faulty battery was when I put the dropped battery into the other remote and it didn't work. Still pretty surprised that a battery can be so fragile.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yolk said:
I did... I bent the connectors around, shook the unit to listen for rattles etc but no luck. The thing that confirmed that it was a faulty battery was when I put the dropped battery into the other remote and it didn't work. Still pretty surprised that a battery can be so fragile.
Did you try reprogramming the remote after you reseated the battery?

Step 1: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 2: Within 4 seconds, push transmitter lock/unlock button with transmitter aimed at vehicle.
Step 3: Within 4 seconds, turn ignition switch off.
Step 4: Within 4 seconds, go to step 5.

Step 5: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 6: Within 4 seconds, push transmitter lock/unlock button with transmitter aimed at vehicle.
Step 7: Within 4 seconds, turn ignition switch off.

Step 8: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 9: Within 4 seconds, push transmitter lock/unlock button with transmitter aimed at vehicle.
Step 10: Within 4 seconds, turn ignition switch off.

Step 11: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 12: Within 4 seconds, push transmitter lock/unlock button with transmitter aimed at vehicle.
Step 13: Confirm that you hear the door locks move.
Step 14: Within 8 seconds, aim the (first) transmitter at the vehicle, and press the transmitter LOCK /
UNLOCK button.
Step 15: Same as step 13.
Step 16: Same as 14, with second transmitter.
Step 17: Same as 13;
Step 18: Same as 14, with third transmitter.
Step 19: Same as 13.

Note: If you have only one transmitter, skip steps 16-19; for only two transmitters, skip 18 and 19.

Step 20: Turn ignition OFF, and remove key.
Step 21. Confirm that your keyless transmitters now work.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
SteveLuman said:
Did you try reprogramming the remote after you reseated the battery?
You are not reprogramming the remote, you are reprogramming the CAR.

She did not drop the car. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
N_Jay said:
You are not reprogramming the remote, you are reprogramming the CAR.
That's right. With a new battery, the dropped remote worked perfectly. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of our key is bent badly, it's still a mystery to us as to why? It's my wife key, and fortunately, she didn't drive the Pilot at the time. She did not drop it nor anything unusual happened. Just one day, she came home from work, pull the keys out from her purse, and voila....

Now, I'm nervous to go anywhere without a spare. I plan to bring it to the dealer to see if anything they can do?!?

Honda should really redesign the key with stronger material and smaller size.

Any CSI out there have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gourma4 said:

Your dealer gives you a rent-a-car?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
weekendpilot said:
...Honda should really redesign the key with stronger material and smaller size.

Any CSI out there have any ideas?
Did someone sit, step, or set something heavy on the purse?

I think the key material is pretty standard and the straight edge design seems to be stronger than my other keys...:confused:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Gourma4 said:

Just traded in my Accord for a BMW and the Bimmer has the same thing. Even better, it recharges the FOB battery when it is in the ignition!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts