Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try and follow this:
I purchased a CPO 2013 Pilot. It came with a new OEM battery. The battery tested "weak" in the 35th month. Not covered under warranty?

According to the stealership and Honda, I didn't pay for the battery so I do not get the 100-month limited warranty.

It says "100 month limited warranty" on the battery. The battery was installed on 02/08/2016. I bought the vehicle on 03/15/2016. The battery was diagnosed on 02/20/2019. There's nothing in the owner's manual or other documentation to supersede the warranty, but they insist this is not their problem.

I gave up with the Service Manager. His IQ would have to go up ten points just to be a houseplant. I called Honda and got the same excuse: "you didn't pay for the battery." Um ... I paid for the whole vehicle. Wrote to the CEO of Honda and got a call from a rep within two weeks saying he'd look into it. Six weeks later ... nothing.

Ironically, the original battery lasted 35 months, which is why the stealership put one in when they CPO'd the vehicle. I guess 35 months is the expected lifetime. Next stop is the BBB of PA. Hard to believe neither entity feels it's worth the cost of a battery just to avoid the headache they're getting from me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
According to the booklet linked by xGS, lead-acid batteries don't seem to be covered. Honda batteries are nothing special (as you've learned firsthand). Just spend the $100 and change, get a good quality battery and move on with life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the booklet linked by xGS, lead-acid batteries don't seem to be covered. Honda batteries are nothing special (as you've learned firsthand). Just spend the $100 and change, get a good quality battery and move on with life.
That's interesting. I was never given the booklet you've linked.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
the walmart ones are not that bad ... running two years on one no issues

Reactions: Farnsrocket

·
Registered
853 Posts
Wait a tick, it the battery is labeled 100 month, then it should be covered. Try another dealer. FYI, only the OE battery is covered under the 3/36 (or 5/60 CPO) warranty. If it is a true Honda replacement, different warranties are implied, i.e. the 100 month as labeled, regardless if you paid or not.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Wait a tick, it the battery is labeled 100 month, then it should be covered. Try another dealer. FYI, only the OE battery is covered under the 3/36 (or 5/60 CPO) warranty. If it is a true Honda replacement, different warranties are implied, i.e. the 100 month as labeled, regardless if you paid or not.
Can you provide a link to a CPO warranty document that supports your assertion?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Can you provide a link to a CPO warranty document that supports your assertion?
The only thing I'm asserting is if the label on the battery is 100 month, then it has a 100 month warranty.

All Honda accessories are covered up to 3 years or 36,000 miles, depending on time of installation. Honda Genuine parts purchased from a Honda dealer are covered for 1 year. A replacement battery purchased from your Honda dealer is covered by a 100-month (8 years and 4 months) limited warranty.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
The only thing I'm asserting is if the label on the battery is 100 month, then it has a 100 month warranty.

All Honda accessories are covered up to 3 years or 36,000 miles, depending on time of installation. Honda Genuine parts purchased from a Honda dealer are covered for 1 year. A replacement battery purchased from your Honda dealer is covered by a 100-month (8 years and 4 months) limited warranty.
But the OP didn't buy the battery as a replacement item.
It was already installed in the CPO vehicle over a month before the date of purchase, so it was subject to the terms and conditions of the CPO warranty.

If the OP had first bought the CPO vehicle and subsequently bought a battery from Honda as a replacement, then the 100-month limited warranty would apply.

·
Registered
853 Posts
But the OP didn't buy the battery as a replacement item.
It was already installed in the CPO vehicle over a month before the date of purchase, so it was subject to the terms and conditions of the CPO warranty.

If the OP had first bought the CPO vehicle and subsequently bought a battery from Honda as a replacement, then the 100-month limited warranty would apply.
But where does it say that it's based on who buys it? If a 100 month battery was installed on XYZ date, then the warranty on that battery is implied as it says in Honda's warranty booklet.

Time Period Replacement batteries are covered for a 100-month (8 years and 4 months) limited warranty. Warranty Coverage During the first 36 months (3 years) of service, a defective replacement battery will be replaced at no cost for the battery, labor, or installation. For the remaining 64 months (5 years and 4 months), you will receive a credit toward the purchase of the battery. This credit is based on the then-current retail price: • Months 37 to 45: 60% • Months 46 to 55: 50% • Months 56 to 65: 40% • Months 66 to 75: 30% • Months 76 to 85: 20% • Months 86 to 95: 10% • Months 96 to100: 5% The battery is warranted for the time remaining in the 100 months of the Replacement Battery Limited Warranty. No cash reimbursement will be made. You are responsible for the labor or installation charges.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
But where does it say that it's based on who buys it? If a 100 month battery was installed on XYZ date, then the warranty on that battery is implied as it says in Honda's warranty booklet.
The 100-month warranty states that the coverage applies to "your" purchase of a replacement battery.
Again, the OP didn't buy the battery as a replacement item.
The battery was previously installed in a vehicle the OP later bought as a CPO vehicle covered by the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Based on how I read the CPO documentation I have to agree that the OP is SOL. Had OP purchased the replacement battery on his own then it would be covered by the 100 month warranty. It sucks for OP, but it is what it is. Time to move on.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Page 4 from the HCPV warranty Booklet

Transfer Upon the sale of the vehicle (privateparty to private-party), this warranty is transferred and coverage is afforded to the new owner for the balance of the 12 months or 12,000 miles (7 years/100,000 total odometer miles on the powertrain), whichever occurs first. The American Honda Warranty Department should be notified of any change in ownership. A warranty-transfer card (attached to this Honda Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Warranty Booklet) must be completed and sent to American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (American Honda) to effect the warranty transfer. Honda will repair or replace any part covered by this warranty that is defective in material(s) or workmanship under normal use (see Proper Operation on page 6) for 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first), after the New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires, or from the date of sale if the New Vehicle Limited Warranty has expired at the time of purchase and 7 years or 100,000 total odometer miles (whichever occurs first) on the powertrain (see What Is Covered on page 10). The 7-year/100,000-totalodometer-mile (whichever occurs first) powertrain coverage originates on original in-service date.

So if the battery was installed BY Honda it would be in the system tagged to the Vin... Take it to another Honda dealership ...enough said

1 - 15 of 15 Posts