Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Pilot batt warning light came on and will not go out. Alternator checks okay and battery checks okay. Any ideas? Vehicle starts right up without issue.

·
Registered
853 Posts
How did you have the battery tested? FYI my battery was going bad and it still tested okay until it no longer cranked, then it failed. So my guess is the battery is on the way out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a brand new battery to no avail. Current batt was put on a meter prior to starting and read 13V. Engine was started and bat disconnected and Alternator read 14.6V.

·
Registered
853 Posts
In this case, you're looking at an alt on the way out. How's the assy belt, any slipping? Try resetting the ECM (take + and - cables off battery, touch them together, then reinstall battery).

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I installed a brand new battery to no avail. Current batt was put on a meter prior to starting and read 13V. Engine was started and bat disconnected and Alternator read 14.6V.
FWIW, disconnecting the battery with engine running is not recommended. It exposes the electronics to voltage spikes that are normally restrained by the battery.

Reactions: road2cycle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In this case, you're looking at an alt on the way out. How's the assy belt, any slipping? Try resetting the ECM (take + and - cables off battery, touch them together, then reinstall battery).
Belt is certainly not slipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Belt is certainly not slipping.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The battery light can also come on due to an alternator that is overcharging. Ideally, the system voltage at idle should be about 14.4 volts. 14.2 to 14.6 is probably ok. Any less indicates a weak alternator that may be near failure. Any higher could be caused by a bad voltage regulator, which is also part of the alternator. This is assuming that the battery is in good shape. Alternator and battery are co-dependant. A bad battery can kill a good alternator, and vice-versa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts