Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery warning light came on when daughter drove 2005 Pilot. Light on when I checked it. Went to local shop. They checked the battery and it was charging. (The light went off between the time I stopped at the service desk and they put the tester on.) I started to drive home and the light came on. Went back right back. They tested, okay again. Got three blocks from home and all the warning lights started flashing, including the seatbelt light. (I was wearing the belt, but it flashed and beeped as if I wasn't.) Turned off the engine, Lights kept flashing and beeping a bit. Now the Pilot won't crank over. I'm thinking alternator, but would appreciate input from anyone,

·
Registered
132 Posts
All the signs of a bad alternator. Did anyone test the alternator at the shop? If so, what volts was the vehicle operating at the time of the test?You want to be in the 14.0 to 14.4 range of a system that is working correctly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How old is the battery? Sounds like the battery is bad, maybe a bad cell. Or a loose or dirty battery terminal. Check/clean the terminal connections, if still not cranking, the battery is bad. Winter is ruff on weak batteries.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
I agree the alternator sounds like it's bad. Put the battery on a charger overnight to give it enough juice to start and get you to a garage. Resting it should read 12. That will get to 14 with alternator charging as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery warning light

Battery posts are clean. The battery was charging. I talked it over with the dealership and they said it sounded like the alternator. They said the warning lights issue was the key. Will get the alternator replaced.
Thank you one and all.
Tony

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want to save some money the altenator is not hard to change out and there are some videos on YouTube. You definitely want to get it done because the car will die and kill your battery completely and you will be stuck. They never die right in the dealership lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't seem to log in, hopefully this posts.

I have the EXACT same problem as you described, same lights. What was the resolution to get yours fixed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts