Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed out my factory battery on my 2016 Pilot with a new Bosch AGM battery. The new battery very clearly says to not put it in an airtight container. Well, that's what the vehicle has. But I also noticed the bottom of the battery box has a vent blower installed on it, with the goal, I'm assuming, of ejecting any gases that build up inside the battery box.

My question to the mechanics in the house: can I install the top cover of the battery box on the new AGM battery? I'm assuming so long as the blower works (not sure if you get a warning light or code if it fails), there will be no build up of gases in the battery box. I have installed the battery with the top cover off for the time being.

Thank you for all you help!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
The battery box on the Pilot is air cooled via the fan and air duct, so it is well ventilated. The danger from not properly venting batteries, is the buildup of hydrogen gas, which can cause an explosion. You should not have any issues as long as the new battery fits in the battery box and the terminals connect up ok to the posts with the cover on. I think there is a high temp warning built in to the system so there would be a sensor somewhere in the battery box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery box on the Pilot is air cooled via the fan and air duct, so it is well ventilated. The danger from not properly venting batteries, is the buildup of hydrogen gas, which can cause an explosion. You should not have any issues as long as the new battery fits in the battery box and the terminals connect up ok to the posts with the cover on.
Thank you so much, Hondamon! And yes, the new battery is the same size group as the old (48/H6). Much appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
So... is your battery bad already? Or just prefer an AGM over the factory battery? Aren't our factory batteries guaranteed for like 8 or 10 years (likely prorated)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... is your battery bad already? Or just prefer an AGM over the factory battery? Aren't our factory batteries guaranteed for like 8 or 10 years (likely prorated)?
Long story short, the old battery was still good. I was using the wrong settings on my battery analyzer (it was new--and I got it mainly for another vehicle) and it was telling me it was going out (low SOH % and low starting voltage). Once I started using the right settings, I found out that the battery was still good (high SOH %) but it did have low starting voltage. Battery is almost 5 years old, so I had no issue with just keeping the new one in there. I'll hold onto the old one just in case. Key takeaway: read the instructions on new tools. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Aren't our factory batteries guaranteed for like 8 or 10 years (likely prorated)?
My 2016 battery warranty is for 100 months (about 8 years). Pro-rated after 36 months. So the OP would get roughly a 40 - 50% credit now towards whatever Honda charges these days for a new battery. But my guess is that they would also want to verify the old battery truly needs to be replaced 1st. Since the higher end 2016 Pilots came with an AGM battery I see no issue reinstalling the battery box top cover. The cover on my battery basically keeps the dust off and is certainly not air tight. Lastly, when I continue to read testimonials like this reporting low starting voltage on Honda batteries, it just reinforces my decision to always drive with my headlights on so that Honda's higher battery charging mode kicks in and my battery's state of charge is better maintained. My 4-year old Pilot battery still tests as good. But like PilotChris83 experience, my 2-year old CRV battery is like his Pilot battery ... high SOH, but also needing to be recharged every time it's tested. Uhg :mad:

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
2016 Pilots with Auto Idle Stop came equipped with AGM batteries.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
The battery box on the Pilot is air cooled via the fan and air duct, so it is well ventilated. The danger from not properly venting batteries, is the buildup of hydrogen gas, which can cause an explosion. You should not have any issues as long as the new battery fits in the battery box and the terminals connect up ok to the posts with the cover on. I think there is a high temp warning built in to the system so there would be a sensor somewhere in the battery box.
OK, had to check when I read this thread and this post. We are in the 3rd Gen area.

I'm like what? A sealed battery box, air tight, with a fan and sensors? Get out of town!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts