Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a problem with corrosion on a vehicle with an old battery that will likely need to be replaced soon. Needed a quick clean up, so I stuck the terminal in a cup of CLR. Not bad.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!! That is awesome. How much scrubbing did it take or did you just soak it?
CLR just eats off the corrosion. No scrubbing. 🤓

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Your are probably going to need a new battery cable in the future with the sheathing pulled away from the terminal like it is.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your are probably going to need a new battery cable in the future with the sheathing pulled away from the terminal like it is.
It tightened up nice and tight. No problem.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could have left the nut and bolt on the terminal so I wouldn't have had to go fishing. Hindsight 20/20.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
It tightened up nice and tight. No problem.
View attachment 146992
Corrosion can and will travel down the twisted wire are and corrode the cable inside the sheathing. You can see it, but it will degrade the transfer of electricity to or from the battery as it gets worse.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CLR won't hurt plastic. I stuck it down in the cup past the sheathing. Hopefully the CLR neutralized it all. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
CLR won't hurt plastic. I stuck it down in the cup past the sheathing. Hopefully the CLR neutralized it all. Time will tell.
The CLR cleaned it it well but is an acid and will seep into the wire. The best thing to do afterwards to neutralise it would be to soak it in a baking soda/water solution then rinse and dry it off prior to coating it with fluid film or equivalent to stop future corrosion.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The CLR cleaned it it well but is an acid and will seep into the wire. The best thing to do afterwards to neutralise it would be to soak it in a baking soda/water solution then rinse and dry it off prior to coating it with fluid film or equivalent to stop future corrosion.
I didn't do that. Will see what it looks like when I get it back. CLR can only work so long until it neutralizes itself as it reacts with other elements.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts