Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your input on batteries. I have a 2013 Pilot EX-L w/ 50k miles. I need to replace the battery.

I have not had to replace a vehicle battery for quite some time, so I wanted everyone's input on works well for them.

I live in South Texas. It is very hot climate from April - Sept. It only gets below freezing from zero to 3 days a year max.

I am the original owner and I have performed all the maintenance on it. I plan on keeping it at least another 5 years!

Right now I am looking at either a WalMart 5-yr pro-rated battery or an Optima Red Top 35.

Other brands are welcomed to be recommended.

I have never owned an Optima battery, but I have always heard for years they are great AGM batteries.

Are there other AGM alternatives?

Are AGM batteries worth the $$ in my application?

The OEM battery is only 550cca. I would prefer a replacement with more CCA.

The only additional electronics on the vehicle is just an Anker dual outlet usb phone charger in the cigarette lighter.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Since you don't have to worry about subzero starts, I'd stay near OEM CCA's for the thicker lead plates.

IIRC, Walmart batteries are usually supplied by JCI. I've run numerous JCI batteries, and while they perform fine, they tend to grow fuzz on the posts. East Penn batteries are supposed to better at this. I have an EP Duracell in my Pilot at the moment, and so far, so good.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
In another car in the fleet, I replaced a Duralast Gold with the Walmart Maxx battery. They are identical except for the label and the price. Same case, same details, weigh the same. Two-thirds the cost. WalMart is a lot more liberal with their warranty too.

I recently replaced the Pilot battery with an Interstate from Costco. It was price competitive with the WalMart Maxx. Interstate has a good reputation in some of the sports car groups I participate in, plus warranty terms are slightly better. There are more WalMarts than Costcos though, so on-the-road failures would make the WalMart a better option. Your call.

Remember that you'll need to reset the entertainment stack after you hook up the new battery.

I use a battery terminal brush to brighten the posts and clamps. After everything is snug, some Vaseline on the terminals will melt and draw into the voids for some corrosion protection. Or buy the felt rings and soak them in ATF. The effect is pretty much the same, except the Vaseline coats the outsides too. And washes out of clothing if you happen to get some transferred.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In another car in the fleet, I replaced a Duralast Gold with the Walmart Maxx battery. They are identical except for the label and the price. Same case, same details, weigh the same. Two-thirds the cost. WalMart is a lot more liberal with their warranty too.

I recently replaced the Pilot battery with an Interstate from Costco. It was price competitive with the WalMart Maxx. Interstate has a good reputation in some of the sports car groups I participate in, plus warranty terms are slightly better. There are more WalMarts than Costcos though, so on-the-road failures would make the WalMart a better option. Your call.

Remember that you'll need to reset the entertainment stack after you hook up the new battery.

I use a battery terminal brush to brighten the posts and clamps. After everything is snug, some Vaseline on the terminals will melt and draw into the voids for some corrosion protection. Or buy the felt rings and soak them in ATF. The effect is pretty much the same, except the Vaseline coats the outsides too. And washes out of clothing if you happen to get some transferred.
I just replaced the battery in my 06 with a Walmart maxx brand think heh it's good till I buy a real battery ...that was two years ago now LOL

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I recently replaced the Pilot battery with an Interstate from Costco.
Interstate has a good reputation in some of the sports car groups I participate in, plus warranty terms are slightly better.
What group size, CCA rating and type of Interstate battery did you get?
What was its price?

Incidentally, the Costco/Interstate battery finder seems to indicate that they don't sell a battery to fit the Pilot.

The (generic) Interstate battery finder returns two models:
1) MT-24F conventional type with a 600 CCA rating and a 2-year free replacement/5-year (total) pro-rated warranty. MSRP is $130.
2) MTZ-34R AGM type with an 800 CCA rating and a 4-year free replacement warranty. MSRP is $255.

(For comparison, Walmart EverStart Plus battery with a 600 CCA rating and a 2-year free replacement warranty costs $75.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been buying Interstate batteries since the Sears Die Hard quality (IMHO) went south.

There are several Interstate dealers in the metro area, and more than a couple of company retail
operations. I've dealt with a company owned retail operation near my house for the last 20 years.

My reason has been their no-hassle warranty. When the battery fails, and living in Texas means it always
will, Interstate will pro-rate their warranty and replace less the adjustment. Up until a couple of years
ago they'd install it for you too.

Within the last month the battery on my 2013 CPO died, 2 years and 6 months on a Honda branded replacement.
The Interstate replacement was a group 24, seems like it was 650cca, and the retail was $125.

There are less costly and more costly alternatives.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
While their battery finder doesn't show it, Interstate also sells the MTP-24F conventional type with a 750 CCA rating and a 30-month free replacement/6-year (total) pro-rated warranty. MSRP is $147.
For comparison, the Walmart EverStart Maxx 24F conventional type battery, with a 750 CCA rating and a 3-year free replacement/5-year (total) pro-rated warranty, costs $94.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently replaced the Pilot battery with an Interstate from Costco.
Interstate has a good reputation in some of the sports car groups I participate in, plus warranty terms are slightly better.
What group size, CCA rating and type of Interstate battery did you get?
What was its price?

Incidentally, the Costco/Interstate battery finder seems to indicate that they don't sell a battery to fit the Pilot.

The (generic) Interstate battery finder returns two models:
1) MT-24F conventional type with a 600 CCA rating and a 2-year free replacement/5-year (total) pro-rated warranty. MSRP is $130.
2) MTZ-34R AGM type with an 800 CCA rating and a 4-year free replacement warranty. MSRP is $255.

(For comparison, Walmart EverStart Plus battery with a 600 CCA rating and a 2-year free replacement warranty costs $75.)
Costco really is the cheapest place to get batteries by far. They are interstate. There is an exact group/size replacement for a pilot but it will have more CCA so it is not listed as an exact replacement on the battery finder.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Costco really is the cheapest place to get batteries by far. They are interstate. There is an exact group/size replacement for a pilot but it will have more CCA so it is not listed as an exact replacement on the battery finder.
What is the CCA rating and price of the Interstate battery at Costco?

·
Registered
130 Posts
750cca think it was $80-90 and pro rated warranty of course. Their prices and warranty blow everyone out of the water. Before interstate they carried johnson control which were excellent as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How much does it cost to join Costco before you can buy a battery there?
Free .. i always print the free pass coupon when I go or i borrow the card from a friend :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a used car about five years ago from a friend. Had a Costco battery
and it died within the warranty period. I'm not a Costco member, but I traipsed
in there and asked them to adjust the battery and sell me a replacement.

I was informed that their warranty only applied to the original purchaser.
I sorta laughed at the guy (maybe that was my first mistake) and he told

me he couldn't do anything for me. Maybe his point was I had to be a

member, but that was not how he put it.

Anyway, since I was used to the ease of getting Interstate to honor their warranty
that's where I went back to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not being a costco member is like a sin in our house. Everything about that place makes sense, including supporting a place that pays a good wage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts