Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery currently in my 2008 is a Napa Legend from 2016. It was replaced with the alternator. I have been experiencing some slow starts and it seems to me the battery is starting to give out. I got it tested just to confirm my suspicion and they said the same thing.

For some reason, people have a lot of opinions on batteries, but I can’t remember the last time I had to buy a battery so I have no opinions. I’m tending towards getting a Napa Legend battery again ($139-$14 AAA discount-$25 Mail in rebate) but I’m open to other brands as well. Any feedback or experiences with NAPA or other brands would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Check out the AGM batteries at Advance / Autozone Walmart for not much more $$. Probably all from the same manufacturer. There’s always some 20-25% coupon making it even less expensive.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out the AGM batteries at Advance / Autozone Walmart for not much more $$. Probably all from the same manufacturer. There’s always some 20-25% coupon making it even less expensive.
Is there any particular reason id want an AGM battery? I know nothing about them except that they don’t last as long.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
There are some advantages (as well as disadvantages) like resistance to vibration, no acids to spill or sloshing, deep cycle capability. The flood battery is still more cost-effective and may be the better choice if you have shorter plans for the Pilot. Reviews of the best battery are all over the place. For example Advance is now carrying the DieHard Platinum AGM and claims of up to x2 longer life.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some advantages (as well as disadvantages) like resistance to vibration, no acids to spill or sloshing, deep cycle capability. The flood battery is still more cost-effective and may be the better choice if you have shorter plans for the Pilot. Reviews of the best battery are all over the place. For example Advance is now carrying the DieHard Platinum AGM and claims of up to x2 longer life.
Ok can you explain why I would want resistance to vibration or any of those features?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Your 2008 doesn’t need an AGM and probably isn’t equipped for it either. They charge differently than a standard flood battery. AGM batteries, when used in a vehicle that is designed for an AGM battery actually will last longer than a standard flood battery.
As for brand, I look for one with a good warranty at a decent price that is easy to replace anywhere. If you outlast the warranty you did good. If not the pro rate cuts the cost for the replacement.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your 2998 doesn’t need an AGM and probably isn’t equipped for it either. They charge differently than a standard flood battery. AGM batteries, when used in a vehicle that is designed for an AGM battery actually will last longer than a standard flood battery.
As for brand, I look for one with a good warranty at a decent price that is easy to replace anywhere. If you outlast the warranty you did good. If not the pro rate cuts the cost for the replacement.
Yeah seems completely unnecessary to me. Looks like $100 is what I can expect to spend so I’ll just stick with Napa. If the battery dies and I’m not near a store, at the end of the day it’s only $100 or so. Not a big deal. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
The battery currently in my 2008 is a Napa Legend from 2016.
I’m tending towards getting a Napa Legend battery again ($139-$14 AAA discount-$25 Mail in rebate) but I’m open to other brands as well.
Looks like $100 is what I can expect to spend so I’ll just stick with Napa.
Which grade of NAPA Legend battery are you looking at?

The NAPA Legend Professional has a 650 CCA rating.
The NAPA Legend Premium has a 725 CCA rating.

The $99 Walmart EverStart Maxx battery has a 750 CCA rating.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which grade of NAPA Legend battery are you looking at?

The NAPA Legend Professional has a 650 CCA rating.
The NAPA Legend Premium has a 725 CCA rating.

The $99 Walmart EverStart Maxx battery has a 750 CCA rating.
NAPA Legend Professional. I live in GA and winters here are rarely cold. Is there any particular reason I'd need more CCA? I like to support my local NAPA over Walmart, but if I really need to I can go to Walmart.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Excessive heat can be harder on a battery than cold.

Got an EverStart Maxx 24F at Walmart and it's been good. Will get the same again when the time eventually comes. Made by Johnson Controls, IIRC.

Read the tale here (and don't forget to be generous with the dielectric grease :)).

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excessive heat can be harder on a battery than cold.

Got an EverStart Maxx 24F at Walmart and it's been good. Will get the same again when the time eventually comes. Made by Johnson Controls, IIRC.

Read the tale here (and don't forget to be generous with the dielectric grease :)).

This was a very enjoyable read! As much as I dislike going to Walmart I think I'll go with the EverStart. I'll hold off a week or two just to test my luck...because it's more fun that way.

I miss my 96 Accord, because if the battery was dead I could just roll it down a hill and pop the clutch. It would start right up!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
NAPA Legend Professional. I live in GA and winters here are rarely cold. Is there any particular reason I'd need more CCA? I like to support my local NAPA over Walmart, but if I really need to I can go to Walmart.
The higher the CCA rating, the longer the battery should still be able to start the vehicle as the battery ages.
You should also compare the warranty coverage for each battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stay with Napa made by East Penn Manufacturing in PA. You can also go buy from local Deka distributor. Buy AGM if you don’t mind the extra cost and if you mind the corrosion/gassing from the flooded.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
This was a very enjoyable read! As much as I dislike going to Walmart I think I'll go with the EverStart. I'll hold off a week or two just to test my luck...because it's more fun that way.

I miss my 96 Accord, because if the battery was dead I could just roll it down a hill and pop the clutch. It would start right up!
I know a guy that can retrofit you Pilot with a manual transmission. It will cost a WHOLE lot more than a new battery, but you could then roll it down a hill and pop the clutch. 😆

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I buy from Wal-Mart because they sit on the shelf less than other places. Nothing worse buying a battery that's already 6 months old.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I ended up going to Napa. I got the Legend Premium battery. I got a $25 mail in rebate, AAA discount and had a $5 reward to use. Plus they gave me something off for my old battery. I ended up spending like $110 (once I get the $25 rebate card) including tax. So I think that worked out well. If I have to get a battery for my other cars I’ll probably head to Walmart though.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Well I ended up going to Napa. I got the Legend Premium battery.
Your Pilot will thank you for getting it the Premium grade of battery.

I got a $25 mail in rebate, AAA discount and had a $5 reward to use. Plus they gave me something off for my old battery. I ended up spending like $110 (once I get the $25 rebate card) including tax. So I think that worked out well. If I have to get a battery for my other cars I’ll probably head to Walmart though.
Depends upon the circumstances and what sort of deals will be available the next time you need a battery.

My first replacement battery was a Walmart EverStart Maxx.
The second one came from Advance Auto, because they had a '$35 off $100 or more' coupon offer that brought the price down to lower than at Walmart.
The third one was installed by AAA while I was at home late one afternoon. The Pilot wouldn't start, so AAA came over to give it a jump and to test the battery (and charging system). Charging system was fine, but the battery was marginal - as in 'replace it soon'. Before the AAA guy left, I shut off the car and tried to restart it - with no success. There was a major snowstorm due that evening, and the AAA truck that responded was one of their "Mobile Battery Service" vans stocked with batteries, so I had the replacement done on the spot. In this instance I paid a premium for the convenience.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Well I ended up going to Napa. I got the Legend Premium battery. I got a $25 mail in rebate, AAA discount and had a $5 reward to use. Plus they gave me something off for my old battery. I ended up spending like $110 (once I get the $25 rebate card) including tax. So I think that worked out well. If I have to get a battery for my other cars I’ll probably head to Walmart though.
Good price!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your Pilot will thank you for getting it the Premium grade of battery.

Depends upon the circumstances and what sort of deals will be available the next time you need a battery.

My first replacement battery was a Walmart EverStart Maxx.
The second one came from Advance Auto, because they had a '$35 off $100 or more' coupon offer that brought the price down to lower than at Walmart.
The third one was installed by AAA while I was at home late one afternoon. The Pilot wouldn't start, so AAA came over to give it a jump and to test the battery (and charging system). Charging system was fine, but the battery was marginal - as in 'replace it soon'. Before the AAA guy left, I shut off the car and tried to restart it - with no success. There was a major snowstorm due that evening, and the AAA truck that responded was one of their "Mobile Battery Service" vans stocked with batteries, so I had the replacement done on the spot. In this instance I paid a premium for the convenience.
That’s a better idea. Just shop around for the best price. It seems most of them are made by the same people so it makes it easier to go based off of price. I called AAA and they were saying they couldn’t deliver a battery due to COVID which makes no sense at all. I think they were just confused.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts