Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, on vacation 8 hours from home and my 2017 touring awd shot off all dashboard warning lights (this has happened before but felt normal and would go away after a day or two) but this time with the shift indicator was blinking and the power was minimal to where I didn’t feel comfortable driving it. I got it towed to the dealership and they’re getting an error code for fuel injectors. The dealership is going to replace these (under extended warranty) and I’ve seen similar stories in this forum.

More info that’s pertinent to my question for y’all based on some searches on this forum. I got the battery replaced at a local 3rd party shop in Nov 2021. I’m now thinking they didn’t replace my battery with an AGM battery but rather a standard battery. I called them yesterday and asked if it was an AGM battery and they couldn’t confirm but gave me model number sh6L348. This doesn’t seem like an AGM battery to me. I called the dealership and they generally just said the battery was good from their test.

My Question is if it’s likely/possible that this not being an agm battery is the reason for my issues with the dashboard lighting up.

• I had this Pilot since new and for the first 75k miles I had zero issues.
  • the dashboard lights starting coming on around 1-2 months after replacing the original battery with the one mentioned above.
  • I drove it around feeling quite normal but dash lights would come and go since January 2022 to now.
  • A couple weeks ago I took it to dealership back closer to home and they said fuel injectors code but they were on back order and no eta but said I could take on vacation no issues.
  • When I got the car back from them they cleared the codes and I rode around for about 100 miles or so and actually got my emissions to pass for my state inspection and the lights were off the entire time.
  • on this road trip, we had the ac full blast (Tx summer) and entertainment tv on and radio going in about 100 degree weather.
  • randomly on the way down to vacation the estimate gas mileage was way off (I turned on the Econ button and it lined up with what I regularly average) and the radio/infotainment turned off randomly once and I turned It back on.
-got to condo from the road trip around 4 pm and car was off until next morning and that’s when the issue started with me having to get pilot towed to dealership.

I’m okay with the fuel injectors being replaced but am considering having the dealership replace the battery as I don’t want to risk this happening with my family on the side of the road.

dealership seems to think battery isn’t an issue but hoping y’all can give me some insight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your Touring has the 9-speed with auto-start/stop right? If so, it really needs to have proper AGM battery.
Looks like the p/n you quoted is just a conventional starting FLA (flooded lead-acid) which is built differently from AGM (absorbed glass-mat).
Is it this thing? Exide Sprinter Automotive Battery S-H6/L3/48-EX (Group H6/L3/48)
The AGM is better suited to deeper cycling which happens with frequent engine stop-start than the FLA, which is better for just infrequent starting.

I'm surprised Honda dealer techs don't think this is a problem. Honda has a service tech note on it.

Font Number Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

Your issues could be something else, but I would first make sure you are using a good AGM battery before chasing what could be other electrical ghosts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Touring has the 9-speed with auto-start/stop right? If so, it really needs to have proper AGM battery.
Looks like the p/n you quoted is just a conventional starting FLA (flooded lead-acid) which is built differently from AGM (absorbed glass-mat).
Is it this thing? Exide Sprinter Automotive Battery S-H6/L3/48-EX (Group H6/L3/48) The The AGM is better suited to deeper cycling which happens with frequent engine stop-start than the FLA, which is better for just infrequent starting.

I'm surprised Honda dealer techs don't think this is a problem. Honda has a service tech note on e
View attachment 160380 Hi

Your issues could be something else, but I would first make sure you are using a good AGM battery before chasing what could be other electrical ghosts.
Thanks for the response, zero! That is correct I have the auto/start stop 9 speed transmission. I too pulled that same battery in a google search from the model number they gave me and I’m 90 percent sure that the one I have isn’t agm. All these warning light up issues started shortly after the new battery. I think I’m going to bite the bullet to get them to replace the battery with the agm stock Honda version in addition to their fuel injectors as it sounds like I’ve been using the wrong battery the last 7 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Received my Pilot back on Thursday and went forward with replacing with the battery through the dealership. I asked to keep the old one as it was only 7 months old and it turned out to be exide agm battery (not the battery listed in my og post) that was in there. I ended up giving the battery to my dad and the dealership replaced the injectors and the Pilot is running like brand new and I’m getting better gas mileage. Most importantly I was able to get my family back home safe! I ate the cost of the battery but I got peace of mind! Hoping those lights don’t come on again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts