Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’m new to the forum, and have a 2007 pilot EX with 196k miles. Last week while we were on a road trip, the battery light came on and I began noticing whining. The light went off for a few days, but is back on and the whining is continuing. The battery is less than 2 years old. I had the alternator replaced in mid 2016 after it totally failed. So here’s my question, what else should I have checked? Could the replacement alternator be wearing out already after 3.5 years? I read the other threads from people with similar issues, but am wondering if it makes a difference that I’ve already replaced the alternator before. I am relatively naive about cars so I wanted to ask for input here first before I take the car in. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
If the whining matches RPM, it's most likely the alternator. Do you know what kind of replacement it was? It can happen that some replacements fail even at that short a time.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It could be the belt slipping as well

·
Registered
29 Posts
Even if you replaced it with a new alternator, the new one can still fail. It could've been a rebuilt or just a defective regulator on the new alternator.The rectifier on this type of alternator tend to go usually.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
It could be the belt slipping as well
True, I was thinking that as well. I guess it depends on whether he's hearing a whine or a squeal. (I've heard quite a lot of both around the house during this holiday season. :))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts