Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car died and mechanic said it was battery. I told him to check alternator but he never did. A couple days later the car died on us again. The battery was fried. I decided to replace alternator and get a new battery. It was working fine for the past 25 miles and then the battery light just started coming on. Is it most likely bad rebuilt Denso alternator? I also have a new serp belt and all new tensioners and pulleys.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
It would be good to inspect the ground cable from the battery down to where it bolts on to the frame of the vehicle. Replace if corrosion has traveled through the cable. Unbolt and clean connections to the battery and chassis.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does the positive cable go directly to the alternator? On another car I owned it went to a junction post and it was loose at the post which was not discovered until after the alternator was replaced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Or just get new cables, if they don't pass muster. The EverStart cables at Walmart are quite good, easy to find :))), and inexpensive.

Don't let this happen to you.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Does the positive cable go directly to the alternator? On another car I owned it went to a junction post and it was loose at the post which was not discovered until after the alternator was replaced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I think I fixed it. It was possibly a combination of two things or just one, but whatever caused it has stopped, for now...I noticed there was a red fluid that looked like it sprayed on the pulley,belt tensioner and some other areas. I believe it was cause when I was shifting the power steering pump around. I tried to be careful but some leaked from the lid. I think this was possible causing the belt to slip. I did cover everything with towels but appears I missed a spot. I wiped everything down and used my little wagner steamer to clean everything up. After doing that I inspected the battery terminals and the positive was a little loose and the terminals seemed to be getting corrosion quickly, as I just cleaned them a couple weeks prior. Cleaned up the terminals and everything seems to be working fine now.

If battery light shows up again I will change the ground to body cable and pull of serp belt, clean pulleys and replace.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Sounds like a plan.
Some cables can be to far gone, but I did manage to clean up a bad situation not long ago...

Reactions: Sid The Kid

·
Registered
10,323 Posts

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Dollar for dollar investment cost? Dielectric grease appeals to the cheap bastard in me.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Dollar for dollar investment cost? Dielectric grease appeals to the cheap bastard in me.
But but, it's not Certified by Honda.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Apparently the red one is on Honda Passports. Mine came with a read cover. Maybe they only come on new Hondas not the rebuilt ones. 😆
Oh it came with covers. If it's missing, It's just not exactly on the priority list when you need to weld in a new radiator core support. 😏

1 - 16 of 16 Posts