Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2012 Pilot 4wd EXL with 142,000 miles on it. On the way to the dealership for a routine oil change and tire rotation it starting doing all kinds of crazy things. Warning lights allover the dash going on and off and the radio going on and off. Dealer said it was the alternator and replaced it and the battery. They could not even get it started again and had to push it into a bay. It was not replaced with a Honda Alternator as I was told those were on backorder and they had no idea when they would be in. Got the car back all seemed good. 8 days later I leave for work and the battery and vtm-4 light come on. Take it back to the dealer later that day and of course the lights are off by then and they find nothing wrong. No codes were thrown and they drove it a bit and could not get the lights to come on. They told me if it happens again, let them know and I might need to get on the list for a Honda Alternator if and when they come in. Here we are two days later and the VTRM-4 light and the battery light come on again. Any one else have issues like this? Seems like there is more going on here than an aftermarket alternator.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Make darn sure that the battery cable clamps and terminations, including the ground cable and the ground connection at the body end, are clean, shiny and tight. The ground cable is particularly susceptible to corrosion at the body end, both at the connections and where the wire is crimped into lug. Weak/dirty/loose/corroded connections will cause the failure symptoms you describe without actual failure.

In the last couple weeks, I think I can count at least three posts/threads in this forum with charging and battery issues as symptoms. Solved by servicing the cables and connections. A Honda ground cable is about $30 for instance, and I'm sure there are some aftermarket pieces that can be made to work for fewer $$.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts