Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the cold weather here in the Northeast, I was wondering if anyone has depleted their battery yet. My prior experiences with Honda/Acuras all have had the battery go at almost exactly 36 months/ approx 36,000 miles.
Wondering if I should expect the same with the Pilot (which is at 20 months/ 36,000 miles)?

· Premium Member
6,635 Posts
davemac said:
With all the cold weather here in the Northeast, I was wondering if anyone has depleted their battery yet. My prior experiences with Honda/Acuras all have had the battery go at almost exactly 36 months/ approx 36,000 miles.
Wondering if I should expect the same with the Pilot (which is at 20 months/ 36,000 miles)?
A simple search yields a couple threads on battery life. This is a good one.

Good luck!!

:)

· Registered
2,809 Posts
Original OEM batteries on new cars I've purchased in the past were quite good. I got at least 4-5 years from them. But I don't expect that from the OEM battery in my Pilot. The past few days, with the temps in the single digits, the engine has been cranking a bit slower. Disappointing for a battery that's only 9 months old. I've also noticed, when I've inadvertently set off the PANIC alarm, the pitch of the horn rolls off after just a few beeps. With all the electrical stuff in this car, I think you need the juiciest battery you can fit.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
krygny said:
Original OEM batteries on new cars I've purchased in the past were quite good. I got at least 4-5 years from them. But I don't expect that from the OEM battery in my Pilot. The past few days, with the temps in the single digits, the engine has been cranking a bit slower. Disappointing for a battery that's only 9 months old. I've also noticed, when I've inadvertently set off the PANIC alarm, the pitch of the horn rolls off after just a few beeps. With all the electrical stuff in this car, I think you need the juiciest battery you can fit.
Do you do a lot of short trips? The reason I ask, is my experience has been the same, 4-5 years for a battery (70-80k miles). I drive approx. 70 miles every day. When I lived in the city, my drives were shorter, and so was the battery life, 3 years. We had some very cold weather here last week, -25C/-12F, and the engine turned over quick, and started right away. The build date was May/02.

· Registered
2,809 Posts
Sunday Rider said:
Do you do a lot of short trips?
Rarely. I did run the battery down once by leaving the interior lights on. :bonk: That may have taken some life out of the battery. But the withering horn is something I noticed the day I got the car and was playing with the PANIC button.

· Registered
15,161 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
As far as OEM batteries go, they seem to last around 8 years in the Buffalo area......
Funny thing about batteries, you need a better one to start in cold weather, but it is the hot weather that kills them.

· Registered
53 Posts
i think the battery of the pilot works real hard to get the car started with all the interior lights that go on when the doors are open and stuff. my 97 CR-V just got it's battery replaced this past weekend cause ti's been cold in the toronto area and i though 7 years is a pretty long time already. as for the Pilot, honestly it seems harder to start than the CR-V but changing your battery at 5 year intervals should be a safe estimate

· Registered
105 Posts
My dealer told me over the summer to get a new battery before Winter. I put in the Wal-Mart battery that was top-rated in Consumer Reports. It cost me about $50. The OEM battery lasted a little over three years. Not too bad, in my book.

The OEM battery in my wife's accord lasted about 5 years!

· Registered
793 Posts
davemac said:
While this thread was started a few years ago, it seems that this is as good a place as any to post this article from todays (Wed, March 14, 2007) Wall Street Journal on car battery life. Interesting graph towards the bottom showing that batteries in Honda's seem to last longer than many other makes!

Later,
Larry.

Attachments

· Registered
15,161 Posts
Re: Re: battery life expectancy?

larrys said:

While this thread was started a few years ago, it seems that this is as good a place as any to post this article from todays (Wed, March 14, 2007) Wall Street Journal on car battery life. Interesting graph towards the bottom showing that batteries in Honda's seem to last longer than many other makes!

Later,
Larry.
Hmmm???
Maybe it is the fact that Subarus never last long enough to need a new battery? :2: :2: :2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts