Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Battery issue

132 5
So in the past 2 weeks I have had to recharge my battery 2x. The battery was replaced in Jan, which leads me to believe something else is going on. Any suggestions on what to test and how? I plan on driving it to Autozone this weekend and get the alternator and battery both tested, but alternator is only 5yrs old and would be odd if that is gone already.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Check the alternator, make sure battery connections are clean and tight, check for parasitic drain by using a DVOM between a disconnected negative battery wire and post and monitor to for a drop below 0.1 AMP when everything is "powered down" this can take 20-30 minutes. If the amp draw remains high something is telling a module to stay awake. This can be a bad switch or motor like a rear window motor. Pull fuses until the amp draw drops then you found the affected circuit. Can be a long process to do. Make sure everything is off and key is off and out of the lock, make car like it parked in the driveway for the day/night. Watch these videos as both of these mechanics are working a Honda Pilot and an Odyssey, essentially the same platform of Honda, both guys are well known and respected Youtubers.

How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

Diagnosing Battery Draw (Battery Goes Dead Overnight) - YouTube

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,076 Posts
Adding to the list above:
verify the serpentine belt isn’t too loose.
If you have a voltmeter you can check battery voltage while the Pilot is idling. Should be ~14.4Vdc with light load and ~14.2Vdc under heavy load (headlights on, A/C on, front and rear blower fans full speed).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery, starter, and alternator tested good. Did the parasite draw test and was bouncing around 300-500ma. Pulled all fuses, but the only one that made a difference was the radio. Pulling that one dropped it to about 12ma. That got me thinking, I have a usaspec ipod adapter hooked up and just leave an old ipod in the car that I play music from. Unplugging that dropped it to 51-55ma. Is that an acceptable range, or should I pursue things further?

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,076 Posts
50mA range should be acceptable. See what happens over the next couple weeks, and if you don’t run into issues then call it good.

Reactions: ludespeedny
1 - 6 of 6 Posts