Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My manufactured in late 2015 Honda Pilot (2016 year model) has the OEM battery. I typically do not push batteries and change them no questions asked at 3 year mark. With that said, in the 3rd generation, it seems the battery removal is more complicated than older versions.

Is this something I can trust WalMart Auto center to handle or should this be done at the dealer ?

Thank you

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is this for the 9 speed or 6 Speed, i bought my 9 Speed battery from Acura cheaper than Honda dealership and did it myself. I would go with Costco but not sure if they do the swap

·
Registered
701 Posts
You are wasting money changing it after 3 years. 5 would make much more sense and still be premature\preventative. It's your money and my $.02 though.....

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is this something I can trust WalMart Auto center to handle or should this be done at the dealer ?
You could get a great "installer" at Walmart and you could get a bad installer at a dealership. I know that doesn't make sense but the reality is these days, business names don't matter anymore. It's the people. Find someone you like and trust and use them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are wasting money changing it after 3 years. 5 would make much more sense and still be premature\preventative. It's your money and my $.02 though.....

I live in Texas. My wife and kids use the car, not me. I just maintain it and pay for it. I am out of town for work frequently. Yes my money. Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's pretty straight forward - I'm sure Walmart can handle it.

If your a Costco member, they have much better batteries (Interstate), with a non-prorated full warranty and will install it.
interstate batteries at Costco are no made by interstate, they are Johnson controls batteries and exactly the same batteries sold at Walmart. It is a label.

the warranty is better on a Walmart battery. Ever start MAXX at Walmart is 3 year free replacement, 2 years prorated.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I live in Texas. My wife and kids use the car, not me. I just maintain it and pay for it. I am out of town for work frequently. Yes my money. Thanks
I do the same as you, except I change my wife’s battery proactively after 4 years. Nothing wrong with that practice and you never have to worry. After 4 years in Texas heat you are on borrowed time.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Go to Walmart for batteries. Just be sure to go into the service bay and watch the installer while he's doing his job, if you're not installing yourself. I let them do it; however...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I get it, peace of mind is priceless. I must admit I didn't know that heat down there is such a killer. I usually change mine at 6 years or the first weak start on my daily vehicles. On the toys, I'll jump start and go take a ride, change it in the parking lot :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I just changed my battery. Hardest part was getting the “fake” hex nut off the top of the long screw that holds the battery down. Then playing Tetris with the top of the battery box to get it back in position with the new battery in place.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Last year when I replaced the Sonata's battery I went to Wal-Mart... looking at price and warranty they had the best combination. I install everything myself though.

I wait until the battery dies to replace it. I have a couple jump-start packs and my mom always gets us AAA in case we ever need it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I change the battery myself. The reason being, is that in my experience, nobody does a really good job of it. It might be quick, but it might take a while depending on the level of terminal corrosion. I remove the old battery, clean the battery box, clean any corrosion and apply dielectric grease on the battery hold down bars, spray the terminals down to degrease them, then soak them in baking soda, scrub all traces of corrosion, then dry them and wire brush the terminals, then apply the felt NCP2 pads under each terminal connection, and coat the terminals in NCP2 or dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. This process can take up to an hour to do it right, and places that install your battery for free just aren't going to pay attention to detail.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. The Walmart batteries are highly rated in Consumer Reports and every town in America has a Walmart it seems. Texas summer heat can reach 100F as a high for the entire month. Plus with all the various electrical things on these vehicles (versus a 1985 Oldsmobile), cross the 3 year mark is when I look for a new battery. Here are some links about car batteries in Texas heat, in case you are bored:

[/URL]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tend to go three years as well. I’ve had Odyssey batteries last ten year in wave runners.

last place i want a battery to die is in the middle of a trip or woods. Those little jumpers are great but I had a battery once that was shorted internally and nothing would jump it, not even the wrecker that came to get me.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
62 Posts
Hello

My manufactured in late 2015 Honda Pilot (2016 year model) has the OEM battery. I typically do not push batteries and change them no questions asked at 3 year mark. With that said, in the 3rd generation, it seems the battery removal is more complicated than older versions.

Thank you
Costco recently (~Oct 19) changed their battery program. Still carries an Interstate label, but a derated warranty and construction. Now 36 months pro rated, used to be 42 months replacement. They also have a construction problem, the new batteries do not fit most Pilot's or Odyssey's. The big molded on handle ears would require the installer to toss out the Honda plastic battery case.

I ended up buying a "Duracell" battery at Sam's a couple of weeks ago.

Personally, I'd advise going to an Interstate store and have them install one of their top line batteries, or buy your own at WalMart. Consumer Reports rated the WalMart batteries almost as high as the real Interstate's.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts