Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When re-installing the battery box cover after replacing the transmission filter, It was discovered that the battery terminals were not going down on the post far enough for me to be able to tighten after turning the 10mm nut as far as it could go, the terminal was still loose on the post. ( the positive terminal more than the negative). The battery is Bosch brand. So I broke out the razor and modified the box so the terminal would go down more and now I was able to tighten. I'm just wonder if people are losing power in their vehicles because of this. Certainly not good. You may want to inspect.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Do you need the battery box cover as none of my vehicles have a cover? Perhaps it was designed around the OEM battery specs and replacement batteries may be slightly shorter or wider thus the need to cut the battery box cover.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you need the battery box cover as none of my vehicles have a cover? Perhaps it was designed around the OEM battery specs and replacement batteries may be slightly shorter or wider thus the need to cut the battery box cover.
There is about 3/16 of space between the cover and the battery near the post. So the factory battery would have to be just slightly taller to not have this problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This generation has the battery box cover (and full enclosure) to provide cooling air for the AGM type battery. There is a cooling fan to circulates air through the battery enclosure. High temperature shorten the life of AGM type batteries.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This generation has the battery box cover (and full enclosure) to provide cooling air for the AGM type battery. There is a cooling fan to circulates air through the battery enclosure. High temperature shorten the life of AGM type batteries.
To close a battery up and put a fan on it makes no sense to me. But yeah, they did. ? but I suppose it was more for safety than anything.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To close a battery up and put a fan on it makes no sense to me. But yeah, they did. ? but I suppose it was more for safety than anything.
The fan system pulls in outside air - basically intake temperature air - maybe 100 F. The box isolates the battery from the high underhood temperatures - maybe 200 F. It will be cooler for sure. I did some enginerding a few months ago to learn about batteries. AGM is sensitive to temperature for sure (as is flooded type) but I couldnt find a lot of public information about how sensitive. I was wondering about the life of AGM batteries in retrofit type application - putting an AGM type in an older vehicle designed for flooded type without special cooling, etc. They must have at least a decent life since people seem to buy them.

I am interested to see the life of the AGM in our 19 Pilot.

Hope everyone is doing well.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fan system pulls in outside air - basically intake temperature air - maybe 100 F. The box isolates the battery from the high underhood temperatures - maybe 200 F. It will be cooler for sure.
I guess what I'm trying to convey here is that one thing has lead to the need of another. Many moons ago, we simply placed our batteries in a tray and clamped it down. Now (for safety) batteries began to be placed in a box. So in our modern era, we now have AGM batteries that can supposedly charge better or last longer, but they must stay cool by a fan drawing power from the very battery your trying to get more life out of. Does that make any sense to you? You say the battery box fan is drawing outside air? No. It's drawing air from under the hood. I'm no engineer, but I say ?? on this one.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I guess what I'm trying to convey here is that one thing has lead to the need of another. Many moons ago, we simply placed our batteries in a tray and clamped it down. Now (for safety) batteries began to be placed in a box. So in our modern era, we now have AGM batteries that can supposedly charge better or last longer, but they must stay cool by a fan drawing power from the very battery your trying to get more life out of. Does that make any sense to you? You say the battery box fan is drawing outside air? No. It's drawing air from under the hood. I'm no engineer, but I say ?? on this one.
There are cut outs in the bottom of the grill which is for air to be used for cooling of the battery from what I have read.

I'm not sure if all trim models have the cooling for the battery or only the Touring and Elite or perhaps the Black Edition also if they have Auto/Idle Stop and an AGM battery.

Battery Cooling Air Cutouts in Grill

·
Registered
725 Posts
All 5 of my vehicles have Advance Auto Platinum AGM batteries, no battery cover nor fan and never heard of this battery fan cooling system. Maybe the newer vehicles engine compartments are so crowded that electronic components need additional air circulation. Somehow I'd rather have the powered fan directing cooler air into the intake for a true CAI but thats a whole different thread...lol

Good to know about this high-tech battery cooling system as I try to keep the older Pilots on the road

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are cut outs in the bottom of the grill which is for air to be used for cooling of the battery from what I have read.

I'm not sure if all trim models have the cooling for the battery or only the Touring and Elite or perhaps the Black Edition also if they have Auto/Idle Stop and an AGM battery.

Battery Coolin
Location of battery cooling system if anyone is interested. Not sure if all or just some Pilot trims have this.
g Air Cutouts in Grill
Ah ok, I now remember that little downspout.

·
Administrator
15,366 Posts
One of the problems people are seeing these days are terminals on replacement batteries that are smaller than the clamps on the vehicle's wiring harness. The constant drive for cheapness isn't helping quality or reliability.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Battery Cooling Air Cutouts in Grill
Even though the fan is drawing air from under the head light instead of blowing air in from under the hood..., I still say this is a ?? design draining power from a battery your trying to get more life out of by cooling it with its own power. They could have simply made the vent tube like a scoop to let air flow through it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts