Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Honda Pilot has what I can only describe as a Band-Aidy smell at times. I've had the car for a few months. Any ideas what it could be? I've tried looking for AC drain hoses on the bottom but am having a hard time locating them as there are splash panels (?) underneath. It was recently hot where I live and I had the AC going with the car on the driveway for about 20 minutes with no water marks on the driveway, so I'm thinking there's a plugged drain line.

Thanks

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
On my 2006, there are two A/C drains: a dangling hose sort of up behind the front passenger tire, and a center nipple under where the center console is inside. I would suspect a 2016 wouldn't be radically different.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'll have to go find a box of Band-aids to recall what they smell like. 🤔

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
I'll have to go find a box of Band-aids to recall what they smell like. 🤔
With this description from the OP.: "It was recently hot where I live and I had the AC going with the car on the driveway for about 20 minutes with no water marks on the driveway, so I'm thinking there's a plugged drain line." I'm thinking the OP means used Band-aid, not out of the box Band-aid.

Nanewnanew: Double check for two evaporator drains. I suspect that plplplpl is correct in his suggestion. .

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
With this description from the OP.: "It was recently hot where I live and I had the AC going with the car on the driveway for about 20 minutes with no water marks on the driveway, so I'm thinking there's a plugged drain line." I'm thinking the OP means used Band-aid, not out of the box Band-aid.

Nanewnanew: Double check for two evaporator drains. I suspect that plplplpl is correct in his suggestion. .
Hmmm, well I have had a strange smell from the AC due to moisture. Before turning the vehicle off, simply turn the control to outside air to solve that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my 2006, there are two A/C drains: a dangling hose sort of up behind the front passenger tire, and a center nipple under where the center console is inside. I would suspect a 2016 wouldn't be radically different.

Should there be pools of water forming on the driveway if I'm pumping A/C for 20 minutes on a hot day and not driving?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Hmmm, well I have had a strange smell from the AC due to moisture. Before turning the vehicle off, simply turn the control to outside air to solve that.
It Helps. Not a cure.

Should there be pools of water forming on the driveway if I'm pumping A/C for 20 minutes on a hot day and not driving?
If it's dry air where you live, maybe not.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The more humidity the more water produced.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
It Helps. Not a cure.

If it's dry air where you live, maybe not.
When I was in El Paso it was like 5% humidity. I still had moisture dropping to the pavement. Not as much as if I was on the Florida coast, but still had some.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I would expect so. Whenever I run the A/C, I see pools of water.

Despite years of explaining this, wife still points it out and thinks it's a bad leak of some fluid or other. Actually, she just says "oil" as a catch-all term for any fluid.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts