Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I have two questions:
Can anybody recommend a tool to separate front lower ball joint, other than the $250 Honda tool? I'm finding most of the ones out there will not fit around the 1 1/4" ball joint diameter.

I am leaking fluid from driver side axle after replacing it last year with a Cardone axle. I did not replace the oil seal. After doing the necessary work to replace the oil seal should I put in a new Honda axle or keep the Cardone?

2012 Pilot EX 4WD 92,000 miles.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Hi all. I have two questions:
Can anybody recommend a tool to separate front lower ball joint, other than the $250 Honda tool? I'm finding most of the ones out there will not fit around the 1 1/4" ball joint diameter.

I am leaking fluid from driver side axle after replacing it last year with a Cardone axle. I did not replace the oil seal. After doing the necessary work to replace the oil seal should I put in a new Honda axle or keep the Cardone?

2012 Pilot EX 4WD 92,000 miles.
Thanks
The fear is tearing the boot when using these.
I think the Harbor Freight one is a good design too.
3/4 in. Ball Joint Separator
Similar designs on Amazon.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The harbor freight ball joint separator should work fine. It's $20. Oil the threads when used. If you are happy with the Cardone just slap any oil seal in.
Have you actually used it? It says the opening is 3/4" which won't fit around the base of the ball joint which I think is over an inch wide.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you actually used it? It says the opening is 3/4" which won't fit around the base of the ball joint which I think is over an inch wide.
I have used it on many Hondas but not the pilot.. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It doesn't need to fit around the base it just slips between the boot and knuckle then the solid part goes on top of the threads. The pickle forks just tear boots.. On the pilot I disconnect the knuckle from the strut and move the axle.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,135 Posts
These are great videos, short and to the point. No BS intro garbage.

After seeing this however, I'll probably pay to have it done LOL

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
10,427 Posts

It's not that bad. 👨‍🔧
That's coming from someone not in the rust belt.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Pilots don't have replaceable ball joints. You have to replace the entire control arm so it's easier than the video.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have used it on many Hondas but not the pilot.. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It doesn't need to fit around the base it just slips between the boot and knuckle then the solid part goes on top of the threads. The pickle forks just tear boots.. On the pilot I disconnect the knuckle from the strut and move the axle.
You're saying you can remove the driver's axle without separating the ball joint?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
You're saying you can remove the driver's axle without separating the ball joint?
I've not replaced a CV axle on a Pilot, but on other Honda's I've done, I only disconnected the knuckle from the top ball joint and the tie rod end ball joint.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You dont need to remove the lower ball joint.
Remove strut, disconnect tie rod and you'll need to push down on the LCA and you can then remove the axle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You dont need to remove the lower ball joint.
Remove strut, disconnect tie rod and you'll need to push down on the LCA and you can then remove the axle.
This is the technique I am about to try. My balljoint doesn't seem to move vertically at all when checked (~80k miles since Honda replaced the LCA via the warranty) so I am going to do this to extract the axle. I have used this technique in the past on other vehicles and am hoping that I can get it out without needing to separate the ball joint.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Consider that disconnecting at the balljoint means you won't need an alignment after the new axle is in. The tools for popping the ball-joint are less than the cost of a good alignment, plus it will save some work time.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Pilots don't have replaceable ball joints. You have to replace the entire control arm so it's easier than the video.
What? This is the first I'm hearing about this.
I'm sure it has to do with the fact that these lower control arms are made of aluminum.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yeah... Heat the arm and dry-ice the ball joint to assemble originally. No easy option for that delta-T for disassembly. Just pressing the joint out galls the aluminum and prevents a suitable interference on re-assembly. Maybe some Locktite sleeve retainer if you feel really really brave. | <that's the very thin line between 'brave' and a Darwin award.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah... Heat the arm and dry-ice the ball joint to assemble originally. No easy option for that delta-T for disassembly. Just pressing the joint out galls the aluminum and prevents a suitable interference on re-assembly. Maybe some Locktite sleeve retainer if you feel really really brave. | <that's the very thin line between 'brave' and a Darwin award.
No Darwin awards will be granted, I believe the ball joint itself is unprocurable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I purchased an ABN separator with a 3/4" opening at the fork and the top arm of the tool will not reach the thread end of the ball joint because the opening cannot fit around the neck of the ball joint. If you know of a tool that will fit the Pilot please post it.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts